Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intercom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Kirkgaard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Intercom Reply with quote

I'm in the process of refurbishing my instrument panel.
Amongst others I'm replacing the com radio. In the old setup a 'Flightcom
403' (intercom) is installed.
According to the manual of my new radio KRT2 it's possible to connect both headsets directly to the radio without a separate installed.
Does that work well or are there any disadvantages omitting the Flightcom?

Happy New Year to all of you.

Regards John Kirkegaard

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Intercom Reply with quote

John,
I my 403 began to get fuzzy and it was replaced for a nominal fee (less than $60) by FlightCom/Sigtronics. No change to the panel or plug required. Although I prefer PS Engineering circuitry and interface, frankly, the PS Engineering units are no better than the Sigtronics in operation.

That said, all the new Com radios have a built in intercom. They are automatic (but you know what automatic means, You Lose Control). They work well except:

1. Most of the new radios can be used in an intercom mode however, adjustments must be made in the setup mode.
If you desire to change your squelch to make voice activation easier, be sure to read the manual, commit it to memory, and be prepared to be heads down in the cockpit for a bit. Research your radio on line and make a test rig for your audio jacks to play with it.
2. The intercom is very clear but if set at ground squelch at idle, during takeoff you may hear nothing but static as many of these radios/intercoms do not automatically readjust to the increase in noise well.  Consequently you have to set it for takeoff and then nearly yell to get the vox intercom to activate prior to engine start.
3. Not all dynamic microphones are created equal so if you and the Pax have different headsets/mics you must adjust the radio/intercom.
4. Most new radios have everything, blue tooth, music, telephone, aux input, etc. Depending of course on the version and how much you want to pay. All these automatic units are neat but if the intercom fails internally, can you still transmit and receive raw radio or do you deselect the intercom (via the setup again)?

Each radio is somewhat different. Each pilots control desires are different, as well as their tolerance for automatic systems that don't quite give you what you desire. Failure modes are not explained well at all. For the KRT series glider radios in a powered plane you set up thusly:

6.8.3 For motor planes
•Press button AUD 2x for VOX: Set to VOX 3 (turn off).
•Press button AUD 3x for TXm: Set to TXm**, or on condition. 
•Press button AUD 5x for EXT: Set to EXT 00 (turn off), or on condition.
•Press button AUD 9x for MIC:
o Set to MIC-Level 3 or as required
o Set MC-R as required or to 1 if unused.
•Leave the menu in position “L” (not AUTO).

So one must easily only press the AUD switch a few (many) times in turbulence and power setting changes and punch a button to change levels, rather than just adjusting the volume knob and squelch on the 403. So it comes down to personal choice.

As far as intercom out information: I could find nothing on intercom failure in the KRT manual and how the radio only behaves but I'm sure the ICS is bypassed and goes direct to radio. But never ASS-U-ME.

Example in my aircraft:
The GTR 200 ( I do not have the 200B) features a stereo integrated Intercom System (ICS).
See the GTR 200/200B Installation Manual for installation and configuration details.
Setting the ICS Volume:
1) Press the MENU key. Until ICS is illuminated.
2) Turn the LARGE Knob to highlight the ICS VOL field.
3) Turn the SMALL Knob clockwise to increase, or counter clockwise to
decrease volume.
Setting the ICS Squelch:
1) Press the MENU key.
2) Turn the LARGE Knob to highlight the ICS SQ field.
3) Turn the SMALL Knob clockwise to increase, or counter clockwise to
decrease squelch. Turn the SMALL Knob one click counter clockwise
past 0% to enable ICS auto squelch.
NOTE: When Squelch is set to 0%, squelch is always open and when set to
100% squelch is always closed.
Enable/disable Pilot Isolation:
Press the Pilot Isolation Softkey if configured. Pilot Isolation mode
is only available when the Pilot Isolation Softkey is configured.

Although the Garmin is a wonderful radio, it is a Garmin, so there is a lot of button pushing outside of just frequency changes and volume if you desire to use the intercom. I find I prefer to fiddle with the vox squelch IN FLIGHT to get the least dynamic mic volume to activate the vox 403 intercom. That is a personal preference.

I have a Pipistrel Client that loves his Garmin internal ICS with their Dave Clark headsets. However, they put up with the need to talk slightly loudly on the ground to activate it, but it is fine in flight. It is a matter of preference. They have no idea how to change their settings, and that is fine with them.

The Typical Flightcom/Sigtronics/PS Engineering intercoms are easy to adjust/isolate/and listen to music over (at least that is what I'm told as I listen to the music o my 4 banger up front). THEREFORE I HAVE A STUPIC OLD INTERCOM WITH AN ISOLATION SWITCH AND MONITOR SWITCH INSTALLED PER FLIGHTCOM. The Flightcom 403c can monitor or upon an incoming radio transmission, cut out music/pax/or isolate pax audio depending on the optional monitor switch position.

Have fun and pick one of your 20,000 compromises your aircraft is made up of. You'll have to live with it.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Kirkgaard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Intercom Reply with quote

Bud.
Thank you very much for your very thorough explanation.

Regards John

kjburns(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Intercom Reply with quote

John ( and Bud)Some other forums draw attention to ptt problems using external intercoms, I install my choice of Icom 220T 833 Khz with existing sigtronic intercom (from BK 25khz radio) ...all headset wires remained undisturbed as routed via coms unit , power needed reposition in panel plug .
The ptt fix is a sigtronic factory wiring harness “mod” to put a full current down to earth via a relay (bypassing the inbuilt resistance in coms unit )..also has a diode ..
https://icomuk.co.uk/files/icom/PDF/FAQs/Sigtronics_Radio_Keyline_Mod.pdf
Factory research on your kit pays dividends in performance.
Regards
Kevin

Sent from my iPad

On 31 Dec 2020, at 11:35, John Kirkgaard <john.kirkegaard(at)gmail.com (john.kirkegaard(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "John Kirkgaard" <john.kirkegaard(at)gmail.com (john.kirkegaard(at)gmail.com)>

Bud.

Regards John

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=499926#499926
====================================================sp; --> h==========================bsp; - MATR-> http://forums.matronics.comhttp://wiki.matronics.com==========================; - List Contribution Wnbsp;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.<=========================================================

kjburns(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:34 am    Post subject: Intercom Reply with quote

John ,
Pic of installation using existing sigtronic intercom ...reduces head down time while flying , also made for very quick radio swap as most wires are undisturbed when installing 8.33 where a 25mhz was prior ( with Traditional TSO kit ) slots in to existing tray too.

Regards
Kevin.
UK Midlands based XS Trigear .100hp Rotax ( softstart) Warpdrive prop..6 pack instruments including dual manifold pressure.
Shares currently available..

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 31 Dec 2020, at 11:35, John Kirkgaard <john.kirkegaard(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Bud.

Regards John

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=499926#499926

====================================

Quote:

image1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  368.16 KB
 Viewed:  2392 Time(s)

image1.jpeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: