Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dark and stormy night during CAVU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject: Dark and stormy night during CAVU Reply with quote

My plane has been stranded all summer at KTTA, which is a 25 minute flight from my home airport, KJNX. That's a good hour drive. I broke a pushrod while on approach there back in the early summer. Finally got the engine back on and flew her home this past Saturday. I wasn't at all comfortable with this flight, even though I had spent hours flying touch and goes around KTTA, so my buddy, Dwight, agreed to fly chase.

Halfway home, the RPM indicator started dropping. I reported the problem to Dwight, and he guided me to Triple-W, but on the way down I was noticing that the speed wasn't dropping. In fact, I checked and was able to climb AND speed up!! I also wasn't hearing the RPM drop off like the tachometer was indicating it should.
I soon identified the suspect to be where I was picking up the RPM signal from. I was using the signal produced by the permanent magnet generator, and I had replaced my old generator with a new, stronger one. The permanent magnets produce an AC signal that is exactly 3 pulses per revolution. Until the regulator hits its set point, that is. Once the battery is fully charged, the regulator switches the signal off, it goes high, and stays there. The engine monitor no longer sees a pulse, just a high value and interprets that as a lower RPM. I checked the theory by turning on every electrical load I had, and sure enough the RPM started rising without touching the throttle. The RPM didn't go all the way back up,

I have to find another method of picking up the rpm. I already have a reluctor. Just have to install it. But, a word to the wise. . . don't use the generator as a tachometer source. This is experimental aviation, and I consider this experiment to be a success. I learned something, and no metal was bent in the process.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
bob.verwey(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Dark and stormy night during CAVU Reply with quote

Interesting stuff!
Best Regards,Bob Verwey

082 331 2727
[img]https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B5d7rgAInTuTUUZsUjY4QmJsdVU&revid=0B5d7rgAInTuTdDJDaXRFZVh3b3lMa3FWL0s3MFdzc01YRlNvPQ[/img]      

On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 at 16:13, Ernest Christley <echristley(at)att.net (echristley(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:
My plane has been stranded all summer at KTTA, which is a 25 minute flight from my home airport, KJNX.  That's a good hour drive.  I broke a pushrod while on approach there back in the early summer.  Finally got the engine back on and flew her home this past Saturday.  I wasn't at all comfortable with this flight, even though I had spent hours flying touch and goes around KTTA, so my buddy, Dwight, agreed to fly chase.  

Halfway home, the RPM indicator started dropping.  I reported the problem to Dwight, and he guided me to Triple-W, but on the way down I was noticing that the speed wasn't dropping.  In fact, I checked and was able to climb AND speed up!!  I also wasn't hearing the RPM drop off like the tachometer was indicating it should.
I soon identified the suspect to be where I was picking up the RPM signal from.  I was using the signal produced by the permanent magnet generator, and I had replaced my old generator with a new, stronger one.  The permanent magnets produce an AC signal that is exactly 3 pulses per revolution.  Until the regulator hits its set point, that is.  Once the battery is fully charged, the regulator switches the signal off, it goes high, and stays there.  The engine monitor no longer sees a pulse, just a high value and interprets that as a lower RPM.  I checked the theory by turning on every electrical load I had, and sure enough the RPM started rising without touching the throttle.  The RPM didn't go all the way back up,

I have to find another method of picking up the rpm.  I already have a reluctor.  Just have to install it.  But, a word to the wise. . . don't use the generator as a tachometer source.  This is experimental aviation, and I consider this experiment to be a success.  I learned something, and no metal was bent in the process.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Ceengland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Dark and stormy night during CAVU Reply with quote

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 8:13 AM Ernest Christley <echristley(at)att.net (echristley(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:
My plane has been stranded all summer at KTTA, which is a 25 minute flight from my home airport, KJNX.  That's a good hour drive.  I broke a pushrod while on approach there back in the early summer.  Finally got the engine back on and flew her home this past Saturday.  I wasn't at all comfortable with this flight, even though I had spent hours flying touch and goes around KTTA, so my buddy, Dwight, agreed to fly chase.  

Halfway home, the RPM indicator started dropping.  I reported the problem to Dwight, and he guided me to Triple-W, but on the way down I was noticing that the speed wasn't dropping.  In fact, I checked and was able to climb AND speed up!!  I also wasn't hearing the RPM drop off like the tachometer was indicating it should.
I soon identified the suspect to be where I was picking up the RPM signal from.  I was using the signal produced by the permanent magnet generator, and I had replaced my old generator with a new, stronger one.  The permanent magnets produce an AC signal that is exactly 3 pulses per revolution.  Until the regulator hits its set point, that is.  Once the battery is fully charged, the regulator switches the signal off, it goes high, and stays there.  The engine monitor no longer sees a pulse, just a high value and interprets that as a lower RPM.  I checked the theory by turning on every electrical load I had, and sure enough the RPM started rising without touching the throttle.  The RPM didn't go all the way back up,

I have to find another method of picking up the rpm.  I already have a reluctor.  Just have to install it.  But, a word to the wise. . . don't use the generator as a tachometer source.  This is experimental aviation, and I consider this experiment to be a success.  I learned something, and no metal was bent in the process.

Yeah, there are times when I'm too smart for my own good, as well....Congrats on remembering to 'fly the plane'; you're obviously a better pilot than the highly trained airline crew that flew an airliner into the ground while playing with a circuit breaker. And congrats on a safe outcome, as well. 
Charlie

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

alec(at)alecmyers.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Dark and stormy night during CAVU Reply with quote

Quote:
> don't use the generator as a tachometer source.

I have a type certified aircraft that does… it uses a commercial (BOSCH) 28v truck alternator, and an automotive tach. All flight instruments are (should be) single point redundant. You just have to know that if the alternator belt fails or the alternator has to be taken offline for some reason, you have to manage without the tach. Not a big deal.

echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Dark and stormy night during CAVU Reply with quote

Ahh! You have an alternator. An alternator controls the output power by decreasing the power going to the electromagnet. If the system needs a tenth of the name plate rating of the alternator, the circuit drops the input to one tenth.  The output pulses from the stator continue...albeit, at one tenth the power.
With a generator, there is no way to manage the strength of the magnets. So to control output, the regulator just switches off the circuit coming from the stator. At least with this regulator. If I were using a shunt regulator, it would let the stator keep on pushing electrons, and then dump the unneeded ones to ground through a resistor. The pulses would continue in that case.
I would be happy to live with a bum RPM signal in the case where the alternator broke. But, this is a bum RPM signal when the thing is working as (poorly) designed. Sad

On Tuesday, November 24, 2020, 10:12:11 AM EST, Alec Myers <alec(at)alecmyers.com> wrote:

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Alec Myers <alec(at)alecmyers.com (alec(at)alecmyers.com)>

Quote:
> don't use the generator as a tachometer source.

I have a type certified aircraft that does… it uses a commercial (BOSCH) 28v truck alternator, and an automotive tach. All flight instruments are (should be) single point redundant. You just have to know that if the alternator belt fails or the alternator has to be taken offline for some reason, you have to manage without the tach. Not a big deal.

http://www.matronics.com================

-= --> http://wiki.matronics.com
===================

http://www.=====

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Dark and stormy night during CAVU Reply with quote

At 09:06 AM 11/24/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Alec Myers <alec(at)alecmyers.com>

>> don't use the generator as a tachometer source.

Exactly. It's useful to 'become one' with your airplane
as opposed to being an 'operator'. I recall a fairly
'experienced' pilot showing up a K1K1 wanting to exploit
our rental fleet. I invited him to join me in a 150 and
to show me his stuff.

We went around the patch a couple of times and it
was pretty obvious that he was a gage-watcher. I
suggested to him that our little grass-patch was
both home to and a favorite nice-day-for-flying way
point for no radio airplanes.

I suggested that it was quite possible to safely
operate the airplane with only the occasional
glance at the gages . . . if at all. I got
the partial-panel covers out and covered up
ALL of the instruments in front of him and
suggested, "let's go flying".

We went around the patch a few more times while
I queried him about what he could hear and feel
from the airplane. I pointed out that the 150
could not be stalled if you can see the horizon
over the nose. The engine was impossible to
over-speed except in a dive. Suggested that
he put the nose on the horizon for climb-out.
We peeked under the IAS cover and yeah, not exactly
Vx but entirely satisfactory.

I demonstrated turning to final at pattern
altitude from 1/2 mile out. Throttle down,
hold level speed bleeds off then nose down
while milking the flaps down to full. Trim
down until you see that famous Cessna barn-door-
flaps picture out the windshield. Then
power up only as necessary to target
the numbers.

We did that a couple of times before we parked
and went into the office to get him on the
approved renters list. I suggested that he
practice those kinds of maneuvers himself
with the gages visible but glance at them
not so much with a notion of nailing the
numbers as maintaining a comfortable flight
condition . . . and paying attention to
what ELSE is going on outside.

The day I got my licence, the chief flight
instructor at United Beech was doing my
checkride. It was early Sunday morning with
very little traffic at KICT. We went to the
practice area to demonstrate the time-honored
basics and then headed for home. Half way
along the downwind he pulled the throttle
back and asked, "okay, now what?"

I asked the tower for and was granted
a short approach. The arrival with the runway
wasn't particularly graceful and hardly
a stabilized approach but the energy
budget for controlled flight was not
over drawn. He said, "I've seen better
but all-in-all, not bad". He signed off my
ticket on the taxi back to the ramp.

I didn't realize until years later what
an exceptional crew of instructors taught
out of United Beech on KICT. Yeah, there
are times when finely tuned numbers are
important . . . like when boring holes
in the crud. But those numbers are icing
on the cake for competent operation of
the airplane especially when dealing
with the unexpected . . . like when
that pretty glass screen goes dark . . .
okay, now what?

What you see, hear and feel are the ultimate
back-up system for avoiding bad days in the
cockpit.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Dark and stormy night during CAVU Reply with quote

Quote:
I have to find another method of picking up the rpm. I already have a reluctor. Just have to install it. But, a word to the wise. . . don't use the generator as a tachometer source. This is experimental aviation, and I consider this experiment to be a success. I learned something, and no metal was bent in the process.

Actually, gear driven pm alternators are FINE
rpm signal sources provided that the interface
between AC 'signal' from the alternator
has the right characteristics to drive the
tachometer.

The tachometer's installation instructions should
speak to voltages, waveforms and dc offsets
tolerated by the tachometer electronics. Of course,
there's the matter of scale factor . . . tach
signal events per engine revolution for the purposed
of calibrating the tach.

My FIRST choice for an electronic tachometer
signal source would be the PM alternator if
available. Three reasons:

(1) The AC frequency is dead nuts proportional
to engine rpm and . . .

(2) the 'signal' is sufficiently robust to
also be a POWER source for the tach and . . .

(3) that power source is ALWAYS there if the
engine is running.

Having said that, not every tach can exploit
any PM alternator as a signal/power source.
Do the homework. If the electron gods are
not insulted, you just might have an opportunity
for a reliable and robust tachometer.

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

dj_theis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark and stormy night during CAVU Reply with quote

Quote:
I have to find another method of picking up the rpm. I already have a reluctor. Just have to install it. But, a word to the wise. . . don't use the generator as a tachometer source. This is experimental aviation, and I consider this experiment to be a success. I learned something, and no metal >was bent in the process.

I have a couple of thoughts and some questions related to this post.

first the thoughts.

Is it possible the tachometer is wired on the wrong side of the regulator / rectifier?

I have as exhibits, three attached documents.
1) a similar tachometer circuit as shown in the Remaster electrical manual (i.e. PM alternator with Westach, tachometer)
2) the Revmaster alternator connections as shown in their illustrious manual.
3) the alternator connections as I've redrawn them (after much noodling and consideration).

Recognizing that not all RR for PMA are created under the same zodiac. And, I'm in the process of verifying the operation of the Revmaster as I've interpreted and redrawn it.

I can imagine at least one RR design that would shunt the AC coils out when reaching the setpoint, which would nullify the tach signal. The design of the Revmaster (series regulator, in my personal venacular) does not shunt the PMA coils but instead, opens the PM circuit when the battery voltage reaches a set value (with an SCR that completes the PMA circuit to battery common). If the tach is wired on the AC side of the RR, (as Revmaster shows it) the voltage signal will still drive the tachometer when the RR reaches setpoint and opens the circuit to the battery (as described by Bob, with plenty of extra power to spare).

Alternatively, if the tach is on the DC side of the RR, the signal is likely to die out, as the RR intermitantly disconnects the PMA from the battery, as it reaches the target voltage. Also, ( in the case of the Revmaster's dual alternar) tif the "other" PMA is selected as the "chosen one" to supply power to the battery and ships devices, the original (now disconnected) alternator will still be available to run the tach, with the voltage pulses it is happily generating at basically an "open circuit" voltage condition.

In the version (that I've not seen, but only heard of) where the PMA is short circuited when reaching voltage setpoint, I can imagine that the tach connected to the AC side would fail to sense any voltage as the RR reached setpoint. It would seem that this design (a shunted PMA RR) would be very hard on the RR as it has to reject the heat of full current and it's nominal voltage drop and b) damn unnecessary added heat to the PMA as it generates near full short circuit current across its coils.

Does the original post member have a circuit diagram and alternator we can evaluate?
Dan Theis

Revmaster 2300 rev13 alternator ckt.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Revmaster 2300 rev13 alternator ckt.pdf
 Filesize:  63.23 KB
 Downloaded:  186 Time(s)

Revmaster Manual Alternator Connection.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Revmaster Manual Alternator Connection.pdf
 Filesize:  79.75 KB
 Downloaded:  181 Time(s)

Remaster manual tach connection.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Remaster manual tach connection.pdf
 Filesize:  62.87 KB
 Downloaded:  183 Time(s)

Scratch building Sonex #1362
Still working on the Revmaster Alternator improvement
echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Dark and stormy night during CAVU Reply with quote

I don't have a circuit diagram.

I used one of the regulators like this:  https://www.amazon.com/Oumurs-Regulator-Rectifier-1989-1999-74519-88A/dp/B079CJ4DN9/ref=sr_1_18?crid=3R1Q0AO9RIBJQ&dchild=1&keywords=harley+davidson+regulator&qid=1606313589&sprefix=harley+davidson+regu%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-18
This is truly a black box device. There are dozens of sources selling what looks like the identical item, and I could find exactly zero information about what is inside any of them. All the reviews I could find said basically, "It works", and being a Harley part, it seems to be targetted at people that do not need or care to know more about what is inside. They all have two wire inputs, and all have one wire output. I found one that has a 14.5V set point, which is good for my LiFePO battery that doesn't have a BMS other than charge equalization.

I spliced my tach signal wire into one of the leads from the PMA to the regulator. I had not considered that the regulator might be dumping all the energy from the PMA to ground. I assumed it would just switch the input off completely. That would leave the generator with some hysteresis current, but that shouldn't amount to much. At this point, I'm of a mind to tear this brand new regulator apart, just to find out what is in there. Dang, education is expensive.

On Tuesday, November 24, 2020, 10:30:30 PM EST, dj_theis <djtheis58(at)gmail.com> wrote:

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "dj_theis" <djtheis58(at)gmail.com (djtheis58(at)gmail.com)>

Quote:
I have to find another method of picking up the rpm. I already have a reluctor. Just have to install it. But, a word to the wise. . . don't use the generator as a tachometer source. This is experimental aviation, and I consider this experiment to be a success. I learned something, and no metal >was bent in the process.

I have a couple of thoughts and some questions related to this post.

first the thoughts.

Is it possible the tachometer is wired on the wrong side of the regulator / rectifier?

I have as exhibits, three attached documents.

1) a similar tachometer circuit as shown in the Remaster electrical manual (i.e. PM alternator with Westach, tachometer)

2) the Revmaster alternator connections as shown in their illustrious manual.

3) the alternator connections as I've redrawn them (after much noodling and consideration).

Recognizing that not all RR for PMA are created under the same zodiac. And, I'm in the process of verifying the operation of the Revmaster as I've interpreted and redrawn it.

I can imagine at least one RR design that would shunt the AC coils out when reaching the setpoint, which would nullify the tach signal. The design of the Revmaster (series regulator, in my personal venacular) does not shunt the PMA coils but instead, opens the PM circuit when the battery voltage reaches a set value (with an SCR that completes the PMA circuit to battery common). If the tach is wired on the AC side of the RR, (as Revmaster shows it) the voltage signal will still drive the tachometer when the RR reaches setpoint and opens the circuit to the battery (as described by Bob, with plenty of extra power to spare).

Alternatively, if the tach is on the DC side of the RR, the signal is likely to die out, as the RR intermitantly disconnects the PMA from the battery, as it reaches the target voltage. Also, ( in the case of the Revmaster's dual alternar) tif the "other" PMA is selected as the "chosen one" to supply power to the battery and ships devices, the original (now disconnected) alternator will still be available to run the tach, with the voltage pulses it is happily generating at basically an "open circuit" voltage condition.

In the version (that I've not seen, but only heard of) where the PMA is short circuited when reaching voltage setpoint, I can imagine that the tach connected to the AC side would fail to sense any voltage as the RR reached setpoint. It would seem that this design (a shunted PMA RR) would be very hard on the RR as it has to reject the heat of full current and it's nominal voltage drop and b) damn unnecessary added heat to the PMA as it generates near full short circuit current across its coils.

Does the original post member have a circuit diagram and alternator we can evaluate?

Dan Theis

--------

Scratch building Sonex #1362

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=499506#499506

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/revmaster_2300_rev13_alternator_ckt_190.pdf

http://forums.matronics.com//files/revmaster_manual_alternator_connection_492.pdf

http://forums.matronics.com//files/remaster_manual_tach_connection_377.pdf
http://www.matronics.com/Navigatonbsp; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -http://wiki.matronics.com[/url]
http://www.matron===

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Dark and stormy night during CAVU Reply with quote

Quote:

I can imagine at least one RR design that would shunt the AC coils out when reaching the setpoint, which would nullify the tach signal.

For that situation, I suspect the PM alternator
output currents never go to zero. One could get
a righteous representation of AC current frequency
by passing one lead of the alternator coil through
a hall sensor. AMPLOC has a line of candidates
for this task.

https://tinyurl.com/yxfeta3h

Quote:
The design of the Revmaster (series regulator, in my personal venacular) does not shunt the PMA coils but instead, opens the PM circuit when the battery voltage reaches a set value (with an SCR that completes the PMA circuit to battery common). If the tach is wired on the AC side of the RR, (as Revmaster shows it) the voltage signal will still drive the tachometer when the RR reaches setpoint and opens the circuit to the battery (as described by Bob, with plenty of extra power to spare).

agreed

Quote:
Alternatively, if the tach is on the DC side of the RR, the signal is likely to die out, as the RR intermitantly disconnects the PMA from the battery,

Validity of the alternator's AC information
is not preserved across the RR. Valid tach data
will be available only at the AC output leads
from the alternator.

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: