Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heavy wing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Heavy wing Reply with quote

I first flew my kolb mkiii in 2000.  My right wing was heavy so i started making adjustments.   

First thing,  i had to hold 2 to 3 pounds of stick pressure to keep the wings level,  but we noticed that the ailerons were exactly even with the flaps.   
First I modified my rear attach fittings.  I welded a small bead in the 1/2 inch hole, then filed the opposite side..  this effectively move the whole maybe 1/16 of an inch. on the heavy wing I lowered the trailing edge and on the light wing I raised a trailing edge. I did this on both sides and I lowered the rear attached point of the heavy wing  and raise the rear attach on the right.   This change the incidence from one wing to the other and it would fly hands off. but I noticed that the ailerons and flaps were out of alignment one being near an inch high and the other aileron being a inch  low compared to the flaps.   This is equivalent to kolbs adjustable fitting but not adjustable
I then ordered another set of unmodified rear attach fittings from colb and remounted back of the wings to stock. Then I installed a trim tab..  my gray matter told me that when a wing stalls you disrupt the air on the top side of the Wing,,   so I chose to put the trim tab on the bottom side of the aileron and bend it down that way flying at any speed the trim tab would stay in effect..
My trim tab is 1 aileron Bay wide and it extends beyond the trailing edge inch and a half to 2 inches and it's bent down approximately 1/2 of an inch..   there's another 1  1/2 to 2-inch where I riveted it to the bottom of the aileron ribs and trailing edge.
in my case where the right-wing was heavy I put a trim tab on the left aileron on the bottom side pointing down.  the trim tab causes the left aileron to raise and the right aileron to lower and it corrected the role and I was back to hands-off flying and this time the ailerons and the flaps were still lined up perfectly.
If you have questions please feel free to ask.
Boyd Young
Kolb mkiii  utah

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: Heavy wing Reply with quote

Good to hear from you Boyd .Hope all is good out there! G.Aman
Quote:
O G.Amann Nov 8, 2020, at 2:36 PM, B Young <byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com (byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

I first flew my kolb mkiii in 2000. My right wing was heavy so i started making adjustments.
First thing, i had to hold 2 to 3 pounds of stick pressure to keep the wings level, but we noticed that the ailerons were exactly even with the flaps.
First I modified my rear attach fittings. I welded a small bead in the 1/2 inch hole, then filed the opposite side.. this effectively move the whole maybe 1/16 of an inch. on the heavy wing I lowered the trailing edge and on the light wing I raised a trailing edge. I did this on both sides and I lowered the rear attached point of the heavy wing and raise the rear attach on the right. This change the incidence from one wing to the other and it would fly hands off. but I noticed that the ailerons and flaps were out of alignment one being near an inch high and the other aileron being a inch low compared to the flaps. This is equivalent to kolbs adjustable fitting but not adjustable

I then ordered another set of unmodified rear attach fittings from colb and remounted back of the wings to stock. Then I installed a trim tab.. my gray matter told me that when a wing stalls you disrupt the air on the top side of the Wing,, so I chose to put the trim tab on the bottom side of the aileron and bend it down that way flying at any speed the trim tab would stay in effect..
My trim tab is 1 aileron Bay wide and it extends beyond the trailing edge inch and a half to 2 inches and it's bent down approximately 1/2 of an inch.. there's another 1 1/2 to 2-inch where I riveted it to the bottom of the aileron ribs and trailing edge.

in my case where the right-wing was heavy I put a trim tab on the left aileron on the bottom side pointing down. the trim tab causes the left aileron to raise and the right aileron to lower and it corrected the role and I was back to hands-off flying and this time the ailerons and the flaps were still lined up perfectly.

If you have questions please feel free to ask.

Boyd Young
Kolb mkiii utah

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: