Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Small issue with Becker 3201 radio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n7188u

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Small issue with Becker 3201 radio Reply with quote

Dear Europa forum members,

This weekend I installed a used (but nice) Becker 3201 radio in my plane.

The reception of the radio is crystal clear. The transmission is reported as loud and clear. But .... it does have a small issue when transmitting. When you press the PTT you can hear the carrier right away (we have an ASOS station that records transmission for radio checks) but the modulation (the volume of your voice) increases from nothing to full clear transmission over a period of two or three seconds from PTT press. If you release the PTT and press it again within a few seconds the modulation is OK right away, but if you wait say 30 seconds the modulation ramps up in a matter of two or so seconds. But again, once you wait the required two or three seconds, the transmission is loud and clear.

My mic and phone jacks are wired through a PM3000 intercom. I am in the process of eliminating the intercom as a source of the issue by making a jumper connector for the intercom to bypass it.

Now, I know that maybe this is the wrong forum for asking a radio issue question but maybe someone out there has similar issues with a Becker installation in the past. I know the Becker 3201 has a jumper for dynamic or "Standard" (I assume standard is electrec) microphones. Don't know yet what it is set up to. I read the Becker has a compressor mic preamp and it almost sounds as if the compressor is ramping up the gain because its not getting enough signal from the microphone so it could be that the mic type jumper is the way to go (I will try that later today).

Anyway, just wondering if any of our radio savvy forum members has an idea I would really like to save this otherwise fine radio.

Best Regards,
Chris

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
rparigoris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Small issue with Becker 3201 radio Reply with quote

Hi Chris I have the same radio, only have ground tested it with a PMA 4000 and seemed to work OK. You can call Becker and Gulf Coast Aviation and ask their opinions? Can also call PM? Ron P.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

n7188u

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Small issue with Becker 3201 radio Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Ron,

I just opened up the radio and checked the mic type jumper. It was set to Dynamic so I changed it to standard (whatever that means, maybe electrec). It works OK now although it seems that the transmitted volume is now not as high as it was in the other setting it doesn't do that delayed modulation thing.

I did send a note to Becker USA. Lets see what they say.

Best,
Chris

kdietric

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Small issue with Becker 3201 radio Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

I have the same Becker Radio with a PS Engineering PM 1000 II Intercom and all works perfectly;
make sure that all the ground connections (also the shields from the cables from the headsets) are on the same, single ground point!

Cheers,
Klaus (OE-CKD)

n7188u wrote:
Dear Europa forum members,

This weekend I installed a used (but nice) Becker 3201 radio in my plane.

The reception of the radio is crystal clear. The transmission is reported as loud and clear. But .... it does have a small issue when transmitting. When you press the PTT you can hear the carrier right away (we have an ASOS station that records transmission for radio checks) but the modulation (the volume of your voice) increases from nothing to full clear transmission over a period of two or three seconds from PTT press. If you release the PTT and press it again within a few seconds the modulation is OK right away, but if you wait say 30 seconds the modulation ramps up in a matter of two or so seconds. But again, once you wait the required two or three seconds, the transmission is loud and clear.

My mic and phone jacks are wired through a PM3000 intercom. I am in the process of eliminating the intercom as a source of the issue by making a jumper connector for the intercom to bypass it.

Now, I know that maybe this is the wrong forum for asking a radio issue question but maybe someone out there has similar issues with a Becker installation in the past. I know the Becker 3201 has a jumper for dynamic or "Standard" (I assume standard is electrec) microphones. Don't know yet what it is set up to. I read the Becker has a compressor mic preamp and it almost sounds as if the compressor is ramping up the gain because its not getting enough signal from the microphone so it could be that the mic type jumper is the way to go (I will try that later today).

Anyway, just wondering if any of our radio savvy forum members has an idea I would really like to save this otherwise fine radio.

Best Regards,
Chris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: