Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frame/gear offset error?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Frame/gear offset error? Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

My kit’s (circa-2001) frame seem to have an offset error on the swing-arm tube centering tabs, making it not possible to drop the gear without interference. Anyone else seen this error? Looks like a fiddly fix to carefully grind down one tab and adding to the other.
Picture is attached (if it gets through - also posted on the Europa Aircraft Owners FB page)

Thoughts/experiences anyone?

Many thanks,
Pete
A239

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

image0.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.77 KB
 Viewed:  5082 Time(s)

image0.jpeg

h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Frame/gear offset error? Reply with quote

Pete,

Could you explain further what is the problem? From the photo I don't see anything wrong.

Thanks,

Jim

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:14 am    Post subject: Frame/gear offset error? Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

The swingarm is not centered and does not clear the frame (pilot side) to drop the gear. The locating tabs on the swingarm tube are incorrect and nit crnteted, although are the exact correct width (no lateral play) wrt to the swingarm bushings.

Quote:
On Jun 25, 2020, at 8:01 AM, h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43(at)att.net> wrote:

Pete,

Could you explain further what is the problem? From the photo I don't see anything wrong.

Thanks,

Jim

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=497032#497032

pjeffers(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Frame/gear offset error? Reply with quote

H Pete,
I am afraid your description and photo do not tell me a great deal about your problem BUT I would like you to check something that causes a restriction much as you describe Ie leg not retracting or extending properly. I would use a manual page to refer you to but I am unable to get onto the Europa Aircraft web site. I know I am registered but they don't think I am.
There is one unit that can be fitted either one of two ways round. One is right and the other will give you a problemm such as you describe. I now have a tri gear so only have immediate access to a Tri Gear manual. Not too helpful when you are talking Mono problems.
Pete Jeffers ( LAA rep to the Europa Club)

--

erichdtrombley(at)juno.co

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Frame/gear offset error? Reply with quote

Pete,

What do you mean by centering tabs? From you picture it looks like the swing arm needs to be moved over slightly to the S.B. side. I believe the lateral position of the swing arm is set by the LG08 legs which are centered in the large diameter cross tube and LG02A which is bolted to the swing arm. Looking at your picture it doesn’t look like the LG08s have been mounted to the frame yet. I suspect you just need to clean up the bearing surface on the lower frame to allow the swing arm to slide closer to the port side down tube. Or perhaps I am missing something and got it all wrong. 🤔

Regards,
Erich
N28ET Classic Monowheel 914

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Frame/gear offset error? Reply with quote

Indeed the swingarm is centered on the lower frame tube by two small tabs welded onto the top of that tube, which ride on the inside vertical surface of the arm’s brass bushing blocks. Those tabs are nicely tight on the swingarm to prevent any lateral sliding of the swingarm on the tube, but sadly they are offset to the pilot’s side on mine, preventing the swingarm from clearing the vertical tube. I was just wonder if others had seen this fabrication error, or if mine was a one-off mistake.

Cheers and thanks,
Pete

Quote:
On Jun 25, 2020, at 11:26 AM, Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley(at)juno.com> wrote:

Pete,

What do you mean by centering tabs? From you picture it looks like the swing arm needs to be moved over slightly to the S.B. side. I believe the lateral position of the swing arm is set by the LG08 legs which are centered in the large diameter cross tube and LG02A which is bolted to the swing arm. Looking at your picture it doesn’t look like the LG08s have been mounted to the frame yet. I suspect you just need to clean up the bearing surface on the lower frame to allow the swing arm to slide closer to the port side down tube. Or perhaps I am missing something and got it all wrong. 🤔

Regards,
Erich
N28ET Classic Monowheel 914

image0.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.97 KB
 Viewed:  5056 Time(s)

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.85 KB

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.17 KB

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.55 KB

image3.jpeg

kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Frame/gear offset error? Reply with quote

Peter,

Photos can be deceiving but in the photo attached, it appears the brass
bushings may be offset with respect to the swinging arm.  As a point of
interest, have you tried inverting each pair of bushings to see if there
is any improvement?

If the tabs as you call them are different distances from the side frame
(a fabrication error as you suspect), I think I would be tempted to
simply grind away that part of the swinging arm that conflicts.  There
is not much clearance at the best of times in that area.

Now to answer your question . . . . . No I haven't seen that fabrication
error but I have seen a different one on the same framework.

Cheers
Kingsley

On 26.06.20 1:45 am, Pete wrote:
Quote:
Indeed the swingarm is centered on the lower frame tube by two small tabs welded onto the top of that tube, which ride on the inside vertical surface of the arm’s brass bushing blocks. Those tabs are nicely tight on the swingarm to prevent any lateral sliding of the swingarm on the tube, but sadly they are offset to the pilot’s side on mine, preventing the swingarm from clearing the vertical tube. I was just wonder if others had seen this fabrication error, or if mine was a one-off mistake.

Cheers and thanks,
Pete

PeterZ.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.85 KB
 Viewed:  5045 Time(s)

PeterZ.jpeg

Remi Guerner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Frame/gear offset error? Reply with quote

Pete,
From what I see on your pictures, it seems that one weld (image2) is preventing the swinging arm to be moved to starboard enough to clear the frame when in the extended position. May be some filing of the excess welding would solve this issue?
Good luck
Remi Guerner

pjeffers(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:41 am    Post subject: Frame/gear offset error? Reply with quote

Hi again,
I have, thanks to Bob Hitchcock, now found the page and picture I refer to. The assembly I refer to is on P 29M - 7 of the build manual. The item I refer to which can be fitted the wrong way round is LG 05 ( shock absorber top plate). Please chech this before you start filing anything.
Pete J

--

Remi Guerner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Frame/gear offset error? Reply with quote

Pete,
Please ignore my previous post. After a closer look at your photos, I see now the tiny tabs you are referring to. You are perfectly right: they are welded in a position which makes the swinging arm to be offset to the pilot side.
Not easy to fix that properly. Good luck!
Remi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: