Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unimproved field flying with the Europa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonthayer(at)sbcglobal.ne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Unimproved field flying with the Europa Reply with quote

Just curious to get some real data on unimproved field access and flying in the Europa. How well does the Tri-gear handle the landings and takeoffs. I've been told the mono is the way to go, but can be a bit finicky during landing and takeoffs on hard pavement not to mention the real world double insurance costs... Thanks for the responses.
Regards,
Jon

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
SteveIvell(at)pestproof.c

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Unimproved field flying with the Europa Reply with quote

Hi Jon

Those with a mono will tell you they are great (and I know they are a bit faster) but to my mind they are the worst of all types. Not a taildragger and not the equivalent to a glider because there is a big prop at the front waiting to be pranged. I have flown in one as a passenger and the little outrigger wheels make a racket on hard surfaces when taxying.

My old instructor always responded when he was asked about taildragger versus nosewheel…….”how many modern aircraft don’t have nosewheel configuration”? I’m sure you can answer that for yourself.

I’ll now prepare to be shot down in flames by the mono lovers!! Lol

Kind Regards

Steve Ivell
E-mail: steveivell(at)pestproof.co.uk (steveivell(at)pestproof.co.uk)

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Jon Thayer
Sent: 10 June 2020 12:12
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Europa-List: Unimproved field flying with the Europa

Just curious to get some real data on unimproved field access and  flying in the Europa.  How well does the Tri-gear handle the landings and takeoffs.  I've been told the mono is the way to go, but can be a bit finicky during landing and takeoffs on hard pavement not to mention the real world double insurance costs... Thanks for the responses.

Regards,

Jon

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Burrilla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Unimproved field flying with the Europa Reply with quote

I fly a tri-gear from a 500 m grass strip, not the smoothest, and it handles well.

There are those who prefer the Mono, and those the Tri-gear.
Alan Burrill
G-OBJT

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 10 Jun 2020, at 16:41, Steve Ivell <SteveIvell(at)pestproof.co.uk> wrote:

<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Hi Jon

Those with a mono will tell you they are great (and I know they are a bit faster) but to my mind they are the worst of all types. Not a taildragger and not the equivalent to a glider because there is a big prop at the front waiting to be pranged. I have flown in one as a passenger and the little outrigger wheels make a racket on hard surfaces when taxying.

My old instructor always responded when he was asked about taildragger versus nosewheel…….”how many modern aircraft don’t have nosewheel configuration”? I’m sure you can answer that for yourself.

Kind Regards

Steve Ivell

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Jon Thayer
Subject: Unimproved field flying with the Europa

Just curious to get some real data on unimproved field access and flying in the Europa. How well does the Tri-gear handle the landings and takeoffs. I've been told the mono is the way to go, but can be a bit finicky during landing and takeoffs on hard pavement not to mention the real world double insurance costs... Thanks for the responses.

Regards,

Jon

Europa48

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Unimproved field flying with the Europa Reply with quote

jonthayer(at)sbcglobal.ne wrote:
Regards,
Jon

Certainly a mono will handle rough fields better than a trigear. Like any aircraft whether mono or trigear every aircraft rehires correct handling otherwise it will bite you. The Cessna "Landamatic" that was advertised in the fifties was just an adpersons slogan.

I pay around ÂŁ740 for my insurance with a hull value of ÂŁ50,000 which I think is fair and not loaded because of the configuration. My three previous trigears were all around the same cost to insure.

Europa48

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Unimproved field flying with the Europa Reply with quote

[quote="SteveIvell(at)pestproof.c"]Hi Jon
ďż˝
ďż˝
ďż˝
ďż˝
Kind Regards

Steve, why do you find it necessary to knock the mono aircraft? It would be just as easy to say the same about the trigear variety. Each to their own and leave it at that. There has been too much negative drivel directed at the mono most of it unfounded by folk who haven't even flown one.

Your pestproof email address could do with shortening I think!!
Very Happy

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Unimproved field flying with the Europa Reply with quote

Fwiw, the air-tired roller blade wheels make the outriggers almost silent (and likely reduce wear on the pivots etc).
Planes are made to fly, not drive around lol. Just fly it on the ground as well as in the air and all is well. I prefer to extend my flying time, not minimize it lol. Besides, it’s just way more fun.
Cheers,
Pete

Quote:
On Jun 10, 2020, at 11:47 AM, Steve Ivell <SteveIvell(at)pestproof.co.uk> wrote:

<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Hi Jon

Kind Regards

Steve Ivell

Subject: Unimproved field flying with the Europa

Regards,

Jon

SteveIvell(at)pestproof.c

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Unimproved field flying with the Europa Reply with quote

Hi Pete

The roller blade wheels look like a real improvement and I agree that planes are for flying  but some airfields have tarmac and concrete taxiway’s.

Kind Regards

Steve Ivell
Mob: 07971 128842

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Pete
Sent: 10 June 2020 17:17
Subject: Re: Europa-List: Unimproved field flying with the Europa

Fwiw, the air-tired roller blade wheels make the outriggers almost silent (and likely reduce wear on the pivots etc).

Planes are made to fly, not drive around lol.  Just fly it on the ground as well as in the air and all is well.  I prefer to extend my flying time, not minimize it lol.  Besides, it’s just way more fun.

Cheers,

Pete

Quote:

On Jun 10, 2020, at 11:47 AM, Steve Ivell <SteveIvell(at)pestproof.co.uk (SteveIvell(at)pestproof.co.uk)> wrote:

Hi Jon

Kind Regards

Steve Ivell

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Jon Thayer
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Europa-List: Unimproved field flying with the Europa

Just curious to get some real data on unimproved field access and  flying in the Europa.  How well does the Tri-gear handle the landings and takeoffs.  I've been told the mono is the way to go, but can be a bit finicky during landing and takeoffs on hard pavement not to mention the real world double insurance costs... Thanks for the responses.

Regards,

Jon

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Unimproved field flying with the Europa Reply with quote

That's all I generally fly off of and luv it Smile The Europa is a packaging
efficiency masterpiece designed around that big fat sprung tire. It's like
landing on a pillow. There are many other purpose-built trigear designs.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020, 6:48 PM Steve Ivell, <SteveIvell(at)pestproof.co.uk>
wrote:

[quote] Hi Pete

The roller blade wheels look like a real improvement and I agree that
planes are for flying but some airfields have tarmac and concrete
taxiway’s.

Kind Regards

Steve Ivell

Mob: 07971 128842

E-mail: steveivell(at)pestproof.co.uk

owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com> *On Behalf Of *Pete
*Sent:* 10 June 2020 17:17
*To:* europa-list(at)matronics.com
*Subject:* Re: Unimproved field flying with the Europa

Fwiw, the air-tired roller blade wheels make the outriggers almost silent
(and likely reduce wear on the pivots etc).

Planes are made to fly, not drive around lol. Just fly it on the ground
as well as in the air and all is well. I prefer to extend my flying time,
not minimize it lol. Besides, it’s just way more fun.

Cheers,

Pete

On Jun 10, 2020, at 11:47 AM, Steve Ivell <SteveIvell(at)pestproof.co.uk>
wrote:

Hi Jon

Those with a mono will tell you they are great (and I know they are a bit
faster) but to my mind they are the worst of all types. Not a taildragger
and not the equivalent to a glider because there is a big prop at the front
waiting to be pranged. I have flown in one as a passenger and the little
outrigger wheels make a racket on hard surfaces when taxying.

My old instructor always responded when he was asked about taildragger
versus nosewheel…….”how many modern aircraft don’t have nosewheel
configuration”? I’m sure you can answer that for yourself

clivesutton

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Unimproved field flying with the Europa Reply with quote

On the Tri vs Mono point generally, i've owned a Tri and now a Mono and having flown both have found the Tri to be a bit more versatile vs RWY surface (the Mono laps up grass). Potentially the Tri can be at bit heavier wrt TO length (though honestly there is such a wide variation in empty weights, that comment is perhaps academic).

I too have found insurance to be very similar for the two types - so i consider that a non-issue.

But sadly, [my opinion] the perceived issues with Mono handling can and seemingly do impact its resale value. Again, my view - that said, anything less than ÂŁ27k GBP in flying condition is probably a real bargain.

For the recently joined/enquirers on this site; it is entirely possible to convert a Mono to a TriGear (with a 30lb weight penalty/~ÂŁ5k parts cost). John Wighton is also working on offering both the parts and i believe the installation service, to convert (presumably either type) to a conventional Taildragger that uses spring-steel legs. His contact email is:
Mods(at)theeuropaclub.org

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: