Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bose Headset Plug Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Bose Headset Plug Replacement Reply with quote

Greetings Fellow Covidners!!!!
I hope you all are going well and keeping the curve flat by not being on the curve…
Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement solder on phones jack?
I have a Bose A20 headset and the phones plug is acting up. It does not appear that the metal on the plug is tarnished and the symptom is that the audio I hear is garbled and intermittent.
I have the headset power switch turned off and the battery removed so the fancy electronics in the unit are not the culprit. When testing the phones I have used different airplanes and different jacks and when I pinch in and wiggle around at the base of the plug where the wires enter the phone jack the audio comes in crystal clear.
So I think that the wires where they are soldered onto the terminals inside the plug are bad however I cannot re-solder them on because the phones jack is molded on plastic…unlike the good olde David Clarke that had the unscrew phones body.
So does anyone have a recommended replacement jack…and…when I do cut off the cable and strip the wires what color wire will go to what lug on the replacement plug?
THANKS for your help and stay Corona free (referencing the virus and not the beer)!!!
Bill

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
user9253

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bose Headset Plug Replacement Reply with quote

Strip the outer insulation of the cable a couple of inches from the plug.
Before cutting each individual wire inside of the cable, mark them somehow,
unless they are already color coded. Cut the wires. Use an ohmmeter to
determine which wire is connected to which plug contact, ring or tip or barrel.
Armed with that information, you should be able to wire the new plug.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Bose Headset Plug Replacement Reply with quote

I'd call Bose.  I've had them gladly fix things before, even once out of
warranty.
They have top notch support.
Tim

On 4/10/2020 12:14 PM, user9253 wrote:
Quote:

--------
Joe Gores

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=495746#495746

alec(at)alecmyers.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Bose Headset Plug Replacement Reply with quote

Alternatively, cut the plug off a couple of inches from the end, and strip the wires in the plug end to check continuity to the Tip, Ring, Sleeve.

On Apr 10, 2020, at 1:14 PM, user9253 <fransew(at)gmail.com> wrote:

--------
Joe Gores

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=495746#495746

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Bose Headset Plug Replacement Reply with quote

On 4/10/2020 11:25 AM, billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com) wrote:

Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I hope you all are going well and keeping the curve flat by not being on the curve…
I have a Bose A20 headset and the phones plug is acting up.  It does not appear that the metal on the plug is tarnished and the symptom is that the audio I hear is garbled and intermittent. 
I have the headset power switch turned off and the battery removed so the fancy electronics in the unit are not the culprit.  When testing the phones I have used different airplanes and different jacks and when I  pinch in and wiggle around at the base of the plug where the wires enter the phone jack the audio comes in crystal clear.
So I think that the wires where they are soldered onto the terminals inside the plug are bad however I cannot re-solder them on because the phones jack is molded on plastic…unlike the good olde David Clarke that had the unscrew phones body.
So does anyone have a recommended replacement jack…and…when I do cut off the cable and strip the wires what color wire will go to what lug on the replacement plug?
THANKS for your help and stay Corona free (referencing the virus and not the beer)!!!
Bill

Hi Bill,

Assuming it's stereo, you need a 1/4" stereo phone plug:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS843US843&sxsrf=ALeKk03bK2-J8n5tZfGd3RQkkludnBiu8g%3A1586539349910&ei=VauQXraHN6G9ggegsofYCg&q=1%2F4%22+stereo+phone+plug&oq=1%2F4%22+stereo+phone+plug&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzICCAAyAggAMgYIABAIEB4yBQgAEM0COgQIABBHOgcIIxCwAhAnOgQIABANOgYIABAHEB46CAgAEAgQBxAeOgYIABANEB46CAgAEA0QBRAeSg4IFxIKMTEtMTAxZzE0OUoKCBgSBjExLTVnMlCAP1jFUWCDVGgAcAJ4AIABjwOIAc8KkgEHMC41LjEuMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwj2hf7Sr97oAhWhnuAKHSDZAasQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

Switchcraft makes high quality stuff, but honestly, I've used just about any available brand (or no-brand) in a couple of my prior lives as a sound engineer and electronics tech, and virtually anything will work. I've even used milspec brass plugs to make cables for pro musicians, but found that they are actually less reliable because the brass tarnishes while the chromed plugs never do. If you can find one that includes a rubber strain relief like the molded plugs, that would be great, but you can achieve a similar effect with a couple of layers of shrink tubing.

You can't assume that color codes are consistent, but here are the physical connections:

You can find left/right by grabbing a 1.5V battery (C, D, AA or AAA will work fine)  and making/breaking a connection from ground to each wire in turn, listening for a 'click' sound in the phones. (Do Not use a 9V battery; the speaker may not survive it.)

Charlie

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

alec(at)alecmyers.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Bose Headset Plug Replacement Reply with quote

Neutrik jacks are fabulous:
NP3X for silver/chrome, and NP3X-B for black/gold. The strain relief arrangement is awesome.

On Apr 10, 2020, at 1:41 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:

On 4/10/2020 11:25 AM, billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com wrote:
Quote:

I have a Bose A20 headset and the phones plug is acting up. It does not appear that the metal on the plug is tarnished and the symptom is that the audio I hear is garbled and intermittent.

I have the headset power switch turned off and the battery removed so the fancy electronics in the unit are not the culprit. When testing the phones I have used different airplanes and different jacks and when I pinch in and wiggle around at the base of the plug where the wires enter the phone jack the audio comes in crystal clear.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Assuming it's stereo, you need a 1/4" stereo phone plug:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS843US843&sxsrf=ALeKk03bK2-J8n5tZfGd3RQkkludnBiu8g%3A1586539349910&ei=VauQXraHN6G9ggegsofYCg&q=1%2F4%22+stereo+phone+plug&oq=1%2F4%22+stereo+phone+plug&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzICCAAyAggAMgYIABAIEB4yBQgAEM0COgQIABBHOgcIIxCwAhAnOgQIABANOgYIABAHEB46CAgAEAgQBxAeOgYIABANEB46CAgAEA0QBRAeSg4IFxIKMTEtMTAxZzE0OUoKCBgSBjExLTVnMlCAP1jFUWCDVGgAcAJ4AIABjwOIAc8KkgEHMC41LjEuMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwj2hf7Sr97oAhWhnuAKHSDZAasQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

Switchcraft makes high quality stuff, but honestly, I've used just about any available brand (or no-brand) in a couple of my prior lives as a sound engineer and electronics tech, and virtually anything will work. I've even used milspec brass plugs to make cables for pro musicians, but found that they are actually less reliable because the brass tarnishes while the chromed plugs never do. If you can find one that includes a rubber strain relief like the molded plugs, that would be great, but you can achieve a similar effect with a couple of layers of shrink tubing.

You can't assume that color codes are consistent, but here are the physical connections:

You can find left/right by grabbing a 1.5V battery (C, D, AA or AAA will work fine) and making/breaking a connection from ground to each wire in turn, listening for a 'click' sound in the phones. (Do Not use a 9V battery; the speaker may not survive it.)

Charlie

Virus-free. www.avast.com

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Bose Headset Plug Replacement Reply with quote

Bill,
I have a Bose A20 and was having exactly the same problem. I thought it was wiring behind my panel or maybe a bad audio panel. Guess what it turned out to be: the electronics box in the A20's cord does not like to be on the floor. I suspect vibration upsets it (since I do not yet have carpeting in my airplane). Once I picked the box up off the floor and either clipped it to my pant leg or held it in my hand, the problem vanished. 
Give it a try before cutting up your A20 cord.
    -- Art Z.
On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 11:51 AM <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

I have a Bose A20 headset and the phones plug is acting up.  It does not appear that the metal on the plug is tarnished and the symptom is that the audio I hear is garbled and intermittent. 
I have the headset power switch turned off and the battery removed so the fancy electronics in the unit are not the culprit.  When testing the phones I have used different airplanes and different jacks and when I  pinch in and wiggle around at the base of the plug where the wires enter the phone jack the audio comes in crystal clear.

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/Sooner meet a bereaved she-bear than a fool with his nonsense.   Proverbs 17:12

email(at)jaredyates.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Bose Headset Plug Replacement Reply with quote

I'm glad you have had good experiences, but I have not. They started out
nice but the cost of repairs increased rather rapidly in the past few
years, from under $200 to over $300. My last set, we went to all the
trouble to create an rma, including me giving them the serial number, only
for them to receive it, then decline to fix it, sending the broken set back
without any repair.

On April 10, 2020 13:50:09 Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com> wrote:

Quote:

I'd call Bose. I've had them gladly fix things before, even once out of
warranty.
They have top notch support.
Tim

On 4/10/2020 12:14 PM, user9253 wrote:
>
>
> Strip the outer insulation of the cable a couple of inches from the plug.
> Before cutting each individual wire inside of the cable, mark them somehow,
> unless they are already color coded. Cut the wires. Use an ohmmeter to
> determine which wire is connected to which plug contact, ring or tip or barrel.
> Armed with that information, you should be able to wire the new plug.
>
> --------
> Joe Gores
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=495746#495746
>

saolesen(at)sirentel.net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Bose Headset Plug Replacement Reply with quote

My experience with Bose repair wasn’t good either. I broke the case of the control module on my headset. The strain relief had cracked the case and was just dangling. I called Bose and the best they could do was a $295 overhaul. I protested that I didn’t need an overhaul since everything was working, just a small plastic case repair that might generously run $50. I talked to the manager who cut the price a bit but still wouldn’t budge on the overhaul. He even told me that headset was going to obsolete in a few months. That told me I should save my money a new headset and probably find a different manufacturer. I wrapped the cord up with electrical tape and it is still working a year plus later.

Sheldon Olesen

Sent from my iPad

billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Bose Headset Plug Replacement Reply with quote

!!!DANG!!!

I make a single post on the AeroElectric List...drive to the grocery, put on my face mask , walk the aisles and look around at all of the empty shelves, leave the store, take off my mask, and drive home and here are a great deal of very helpful replies.

Just for fun next trip to the grocery store I will don my Darth Vader costume...complete with respirator sounds and walk the aisles...heck if I am going to wear a mask I might as well have fun with it...wonder if they will ask me for ID when I buy Corona beer???

You guys are great. Have a nice weekend!!!

Bill

--

pelletie1959(at)me.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Bose Headset Plug Replacement Reply with quote

Quote:
the best part of the Covid is that I may have time to finish my project.Happy Easter everybody

[quote]Le 10 avr. 2020 Ă  19:10, billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com a Ă©crit :

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com>

!!!DANG!!!

I make a single post on the AeroElectric List...drive to the grocery, put on my face mask , walk the aisles and look around at all of the empty shelves, leave the store, take off my mask, and drive home and here are a great deal of very helpful replies.

Just for fun next trip to the grocery store I will don my Darth Vader costume...complete with respirator sounds and walk the aisles...heck if I am going to wear a mask I might as well have fun with it...wonder if they will ask me for ID when I buy Corona beer???

You guys are great. Have a nice weekend!!!

Bill

--

allanychong(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Bose Headset Plug Replacement Reply with quote

Send it off to Bose.  over 10 years ago, they
replaced electronics in their 1st gen headset for
almost nothing.  I think they also did some extra
things gratis like changing the seals.
Excellent support on older out of warranty product.

Allan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: