Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Revmaster R2300 Ignition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dj_theis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Revmaster R2300 Ignition Reply with quote

My question is related to the VW derivative, Revmaster 2300 and the ignition control wiring. The Remaster manual has a description of the ignition as a CDI powered by 2 independent and internal coils on the flywheel. The ignition system has 8 coils (one on each plug).

Run up and testing is done by turning off (via pulling to ground) the equivalent of "P" leads for each of the 4 independent ignition circuits. During normal run-up the operator might kill the top plugs by bringing two of the switches to ground (equivalent of maybe right or left on a dual magneto system).

OK, that is probably more confusing than it needs to be but here is my question. I'm thinking it might be useful / advantageous, to use a traditional ignition switch. So, Attached is my scenario where I've included four relays to pull the CDI ignition to ground from the ignition switch. Question, using automotive relays, would the coil current be detrimental to the life of the ignition? Any other reason this would not work?

Thanks for your consideration.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Revmaster 2300 r11a -ingnition ckt.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Revmaster 2300 r11a -ingnition ckt.pdf
 Filesize:  57.21 KB
 Downloaded:  434 Time(s)

Scratch building Sonex #1362
Still working on the Revmaster Alternator improvement
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Revmaster R2300 Ignition Reply with quote

At 05:45 PM 4/6/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "dj_theis" <djtheis58(at)gmail.com>

My question is related to the VW derivative, Revmaster 2300 and the ignition control wiring. The Remaster manual has a description of the ignition as a CDI powered by 2 independent and internal coils on the flywheel. The ignition system has 8 coils (one on each plug).

I believe this is similar to that used
by Rotax on the 9XX series engines.

That's a REALLY busy drawing . . .

Is there a downloadable installation
manual for this engine that I could
look at?

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dj_theis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Revmaster R2300 Ignition Reply with quote

Thanks Bob,

>Is there a downloadable installation
>manual for this engine that I could
l>look at?

Yes, attached is a scan of the manual from Revmaster associated with the electrical for the R2300. My apologies for the "busy" drawing I previously posted.

As one esteemed member also noted to me in a PM, the drawing I posted generated a lot of questions. I will post a revised (hopefuly clearer) drawing tonight in an effort to make it a little clearer the circuit I am proposing.

Thanks !

Revmatser R-2300 Manual C - CDI Electrical.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Revmatser R-2300 Manual C - CDI Electrical.pdf
 Filesize:  1.38 MB
 Downloaded:  411 Time(s)

dj_theis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Revmaster R2300 Ignition Reply with quote

Bob and all,

I found at least one error that was surely misleading you into what I was up to. My apologies. Attached is a version showing only the conventional aviation ignition switch and the (parallel) toggle switches for ignition ON/OFF.

Hopefully this is a little easier to follow.

So, there are two more switches that were previously shown (S10 and S11) that are not shown in this version. Those can be discussed once the initial circuit is digested (and without errors).

Else, for all normal run-up testing, the conventional ignition switch could be used for starting and to test Left and Right (Top and Bottom) ignitions. That was my primary goal with all this, "to provide a more conventional start and run-up routine with the Revmaster ignition."

For end of flight power down, after the engine is quieted with the fuel starvation and conventional ignition switch, the toggle switches would be used to insure the ignition is not "hot" when the main contactor is off. Yes, my design relies on the "master on" to pull the P leads low.

Maybe this is the primary weakness of the design, in that the pilot would disable the ignition with a separate action (the S2 and S3 toggles) after the conventional key, ignition switch is off.

As a side note, I don't think the internal ignition power coils (shown on the also attached voltage regulator circuit) will supply enough voltage to allow hand prop starting (making the toggles somewhat unnecessary). The normal start circuit feeds battery voltage to the CDI ignition through the starter coil, to boost the staring voltage.

Gosh, I hope I'm not making this explanation more confusing than necessary.

Thanks to any and all who take the time to wade through my logic and diagrams

Best regards,

Revmaster voltage regulators.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Revmaster voltage regulators.pdf
 Filesize:  57.99 KB
 Downloaded:  409 Time(s)

Revmaster 2300 r11b -ingnition ckt.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Revmaster 2300 r11b -ingnition ckt.pdf
 Filesize:  173.45 KB
 Downloaded:  400 Time(s)

user9253

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Revmaster R2300 Ignition Reply with quote

Why not eliminate the toggle switches and relays and only use the mag switch?
It seems that more components will increase the chances of ignition failure.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Revmaster R2300 Ignition Reply with quote

At 06:49 PM 4/8/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com>

Why not eliminate the toggle switches and relays and only use the mag switch?
It seems that more components will increase the chances of ignition failure.

From the installation literature I surmise that
this engine has a rather comprehensive ign-test
protocol orchestrated with various combinations
of the four modules being OFF/ON. It lets you
detect a failure of any single ignition module
out of eight . . . rather clever . . . but
it sho doesn't play nice with your grandpa's
keyswitch!

I've been stirring the murky options but
haven't had a eureka moment . . . but
to be sure, adding relays is waayyy down
on the list of options. This makes the engine
electrically dependent if only to gracefully
orchestrate OFF-PREFLIGHT-RUN conditions.

Methinks a DC-Free control system is much to
be desired.

Bob . . .

dj_theis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Revmaster R2300 Ignition Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Joe,

>Why not eliminate the toggle switches and relays and only use the mag >switch?
>It seems that more components will increase the chances of ignition failure

Agreed, but the Revmaster requires 4 individual "pull to ground" switches. All aviation switches available only have two "P" lead circuits, right?

Two 700- 2-3 switches achieve the Revmaster requirement/suggestion for four - single pole switches. That is how I originally drew the ckt.

Two more 700-2-7 provided the circuits to execute their diagnostic routine described in the write up (shown in the last version I posted).

The simple thing is to use the 4 switches for the ignition, have a key switch if I felt the need (for false security) to power the start circuit only (no mag check through the key) and just a simple push button start. Like the C120 I flew for my tail wheel endorsement.

It always made me grumble when I would go to start the 120 and rotate the key switch to engage the starter, with the only noise I would hear was my tail wheel instructor chuckling under his breath because I forgot it had a push button start (again).

Yes, adding the relays and implementing a scheme to have it "behave" like a traditional magneto ignition may be a little too cute. Assuming it would operate reliably.

Thanks once again for your time and consideration.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Revmaster R2300 Ignition Reply with quote

I've been pondering this topic for a few days. The
ignition system on this engine is really rather clever . . .
manipulation of 4 switches in pattern gives you
a 100% check on condition of ignition components!

I think I'd try to avoid adding to the complexity
of this already 'optimized' switching philosophy.
If it were my airplane, I'd craft a shield and
gang bar (magenta and blue) to give me single-stroke
shutdown of all switches. Mounting the switches
on 0.8" centers makes for a compact cluster that
goes to choreographing the toggle-switch-tap-
dance during preflight run up.

Bob . . .

RevMaster_Ignition_Quad-Switch_Array.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.23 KB
 Viewed:  7623 Time(s)

RevMaster_Ignition_Quad-Switch_Array.jpg

dj_theis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Revmaster R2300 Ignition Reply with quote

[quote]>I think I'd try to avoid adding to the complexity
>of this already 'optimized' switching philosophy.
>If it were my airplane, I'd craft a shield and
>gang bar (magenta and blue) to give me single-stroke
>shutdown of all switches. Mounting the switches
>on 0.8" centers makes for a compact cluster that
>goes to choreographing the toggle-switch-tap-
>dance during preflight run up[/quote]

It's hard to argue common sense. Thanks for all the feedback and above all, thanks for serious consideration of my excursion into unnecessary complexity. I think it's safe to say I've been "talked back from the ledge" and will be installing 4 switches.

Best regards,

Dan.

BRS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Revmaster R2300 Ignition Reply with quote

I just found this old thread. Got to researching the topic as I've a R-2300 that is currently being built. After looking this all over, here is what I'm thinking. Do you see any issues with doing it this way?

Wire the top plugs to a single double throw switch and the bottom plugs to another double throw switch. Thus flipping one switch will will isolate either the top or bottom plugs. Then it's just a matter of glancing at the multi-prob EGT to see if a coil is failing or not.

A key switch could still be used for starting and possibly other functons.

dj_theis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Revmaster R2300 Ignition Reply with quote

Quote:
I just found this old thread. Got to researching the topic as I've a R-2300 that is currently being built. After looking this all over, here is what I'm thinking. Do you see any issues with doing it this way?

Wire the top plugs to a single double throw switch and the bottom plugs to another double throw switch. Thus flipping one switch will will isolate either the top or bottom plugs. Then it's just a matter of glancing at the multi-prob EGT to see if a coil is failing or not.

BRS,
I don't see any issues with your proposal and in fact, is similar to how I've decided to run my system. I use two toggle switches as you suggest (S700-2-5), on the main panel area for normal startup and runup. These are shown as S2 and S3 on the attached drawing.

I added two additional switches (S700-2-7) for further testing each of the 4 separate ignition circuits. These switches are separated on my panel and are not expected to be used in normal operation. The test switches are S10 and S11 on the drawing.

My thought was to have the commonly used switches emulate more conventional startup, runup, and shutdown operation. My added S10 and S11 switches are superfluous and I might not have included them if I had thought of using the EGT feedback. My panel is pretty much completed at this point.

I like Bob's suggestion of a "gang control mechanism" as well, (earlier in this thread) but my normal switching area was limited. One of the well known limitations of the Sonex Legacy design, "not much panel space."

Dan Theis

Z16M Revmaster 2300 r9b- pg 3.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Z16M Revmaster 2300 r9b- pg 3.pdf
 Filesize:  150.02 KB
 Downloaded:  295 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: