Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Always Hot Power to Injectors and Ignition Coils

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Always Hot Power to Injectors and Ignition Coils Reply with quote

On Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 9:04:57 AM EST, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:

At 05:10 AM 2/17/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, still not able to post directly.

A couple of questions. How will you do a “mag check� if the coils are always powered?

You don't do a mag check on things that are not
mags . . . If you've got a coil misbehaving
the engine will let you know about it without
any sort of preflight check.

Bob, I can count on one hand the number of times I've disagreed with you, but this is wrong and dangerous. I have dual coils on separate switches, so that I can test each one during a run-up. One uses mechanical points, and the other electronic points. They are both on for take-off and landing, but only one for cruise.

- Six months ago, I noticed a 150rpm drop on one coil. Cleaning the mechanical points cleared it up.
-Three days ago, the engine died when I switched to one of the two. Turned out to be a blown fuse after I had switched out the coil for one of the "magnum power" versions that drew more current.
If you've got dual coils, you will never know that one is misbehaving without the ability to switch the other off.
BTW, I also have two fuel pumps. Both on for take-off and landing, but run-up includes a check that the engine runs fine with either in solo.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
johnbright

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Always Hot Power to Injectors and Ignition Coils Reply with quote

BTW, for EFII brand EFI/EI:
    In the case of six cylinder engines, cylinders 5 and 6 top and bottom use the same coilpack. That seems to be a lack of redundancy.
    System 32 uses switches from ECU "P-Leads" to ground to check coilpacks but I would think loss of power to one of those coilpacks in flight would take out cylinders 5 and 6 in the case of six cylinders.
    Legacy systems used SDS ECUs but also have three four-cylinder coilpacks on six cylinder applications whereas SDS branded systems use two six-cylinder coilpacks.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

N1921R links
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: