Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Harbor Freight hydraulic crimper messaroundary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Harbor Freight hydraulic crimper messaroundary Reply with quote

At 08:05 AM 9/4/2019, you wrote:

Quote:
On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 1:12 AM fidot <web(at)79ft.net (web(at)79ft.net)> wrote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "fidot" <web(at)79ft.net (web(at)79ft.net)>

Well folks,

Will soon need to crimp a number of large AMP terminals to some large wires, and been playing around with a Harbor Freight hydraulic crimper I had for a while.

I decided to write this report part to contribute, part to solicit thoughts and feedback.

<snip>

Quote:
Somewhat of a shock to discover that the USA ain't the center of the universe, like we've always thought. Wink

Charlie

Thanks for sharing your experience and
observations with this tool. I purchased
one about 10 years ago with similarly
high expectations. I found that the die
markings bore no real relevance to
the real world.

I too accomplished a few crimps onto
various un-insulated terminals and
found that with a little fiddling,
a FEW combinations of terminals and
wire could be artfully accommodated.

Wound up taking the tool back 'cause
it would NOT do the crimps most
needed (4 and 2AWG). Too bad. The
hydraulics were fine but the die
set was essentially useless.

I considered making new die sets
but unless I was going to seek a market
for production, return on investment
was poor.

In answer to Rich's suggestion, YES . . .
soldering is a perfectly reasonable
alternative . . . but without vice grips.

http://aeroelectric.com/articles/big_term.pdf

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Harbor Freight hydraulic crimper messaroundary Reply with quote

Quote:

Excellent solution here in my limited experience. I soldered up all my fat wires on a Z-14 RV-10 (plenty of fat wires there) about 10-12 years ago. 1200 hours later, all good. The wedges are the key.

One might solder or crimp, but I can see why one might want to avoid doing both.

Correct!!!! They are functionally interchangeable differing
only in tools and techniques.

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Harbor Freight hydraulic crimper messaroundary Reply with quote

Quote:

Excellent solution here in my limited experience. I soldered up all my fat wires on a Z-14 RV-10 (plenty of fat wires there) about 10-12 years ago. 1200 hours later, all good. The wedges are the key.

One might solder or crimp, but I can see why one might want to avoid doing both.

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Harbor Freight hydraulic crimper messaroundary Reply with quote

Quote:

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Harbor Freight hydraulic crimper messaroundary Reply with quote

Quote:

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: