Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

alternator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlm34077(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: alternator Reply with quote

Just had "failure to charge" problem with the electrical system; I suspect the components of the alternator system. Does anyone know which alternator has supplied  and do they still sell replacements or parts? I think mine may be a Plane Power 60A 12V. Also any idea of TBO for this appliance? The only thing I checked today was to ensure that the field breaker is working and bus voltage. Temps are about 110F; higher in the hangar.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Kellym

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: alternator Reply with quote

Plane Power is still in business, just owned by Hartzell now. I am
having some trouble with mine, contacted them, and they would sell me a
refurbished unit for around $660 with about $210 core refund IIRC.
Since they are essentially Nippondenso units with minor mods, I think I
will visit friendly auto-electric store and see if I need new internal
regulator or diode pack. I have around 260 hours on mine. Note that you
can buy a new complete experimental kit with brackets for not much more
than Hartzell wants for a refurbished. Insane. Mine would keep the bus
at around 13 volts, not the normal 14.3. I reworked the field connection
at the alternator and it seems to now be up to 13.8-13.9.

On 8/4/2019 5:13 PM, dlm wrote:
Quote:
Just had "failure to charge" problem with the electrical system; I
suspect the components of the alternator system. Does anyone know which
alternator has supplied  and do they still sell replacements or parts? I
think mine may be a Plane Power 60A 12V. Also any idea of TBO for this
appliance? The only thing I checked today was to ensure that the field
breaker is working and bus voltage. Temps are about 110F; higher in the
hangar.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

kearney

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: alternator Reply with quote

Hmmmm

So why not ditch the Uber expensive PlanePower and install an auto alternator. I don’t think the electrons are any better in the PlanePower.

Cheers

Les
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 4, 2019, at 6:24 PM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:

Plane Power is still in business, just owned by Hartzell now. I am having some trouble with mine, contacted them, and they would sell me a refurbished unit for around $660 with about $210 core refund IIRC.
Since they are essentially Nippondenso units with minor mods, I think I will visit friendly auto-electric store and see if I need new internal regulator or diode pack. I have around 260 hours on mine. Note that you can buy a new complete experimental kit with brackets for not much more than Hartzell wants for a refurbished. Insane. Mine would keep the bus at around 13 volts, not the normal 14.3. I reworked the field connection at the alternator and it seems to now be up to 13.8-13.9.

> On 8/4/2019 5:13 PM, dlm wrote:
> Just had "failure to charge" problem with the electrical system; I suspect the components of the alternator system. Does anyone know which alternator has supplied and do they still sell replacements or parts? I think mine may be a Plane Power 60A 12V. Also any idea of TBO for this appliance? The only thing I checked today was to ensure that the field breaker is working and bus voltage. Temps are about 110F; higher in the hangar.

rjones560xl@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: alternator Reply with quote

Sorry about your Plane Power alternator. They have not had a good track record repairing their product. That is why I bought the B&C alternators.

Robert Jones

Quote:
On Aug 4, 2019, at 17:13, dlm <dlm34077(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Just had "failure to charge" problem with the electrical system; I suspect the components of the alternator system. Does anyone know which alternator has supplied and do they still sell replacements or parts? I think mine may be a Plane Power 60A 12V. Also any idea of TBO for this appliance? The only thing I checked today was to ensure that the field breaker is working and bus voltage. Temps are about 110F; higher in the hangar.

d.j.goneflyin(at)earthlin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: alternator Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
I have a RV-10 with 1300 hours and my B&C alternators have never been a problem.
David Jones
N331DJ

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Aug 4, 2019, at 9:30 PM, Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry about your Plane Power alternator. They have not had a good track record repairing their product. That is why I bought the B&C alternators.

Robert Jones

> On Aug 4, 2019, at 17:13, dlm <dlm34077(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just had "failure to charge" problem with the electrical system; I suspect the components of the alternator system. Does anyone know which alternator has supplied and do they still sell replacements or parts? I think mine may be a Plane Power 60A 12V. Also any idea of TBO for this appliance? The only thing I checked today was to ensure that the field breaker is working and bus voltage. Temps are about 110F; higher in the hangar.

tmoushon(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: alternator Reply with quote

I have 425 hours on my RV10 and installed the Vans supplied Power Alternator. No issues to date. I did take the advice of other builders and added a separate air cooling tube. I review certain elements on every flight for and so far the voltage has been 14.3v - 14.4v. My flying amperage is generally between 13A -20A.

neilekins(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: alternator Reply with quote

I had a plane power on a velocity I built short out internally. They gave me a new one as it was only 6 months old. I’m flying an RV10 now with a plane power. I’ve had them on other planes I’ve built also with good luck.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 5, 2019, at 7:19 AM, Terry Moushon <tmoushon(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I have 425 hours on my RV10 and installed the Vans supplied Power Alternator. No issues to date. I did take the advice of other builders and added a separate air cooling tube. I review certain elements on every flight for and so far the voltage has been 14.3v - 14.4v. My flying amperage is generally between 13A -20A.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: