Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AOG question and Shipping address for the AGM battery?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: AOG question and Shipping address for the AGM battery? Reply with quote

At 10:58 AM 5/4/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
Hi Bob,Â

I've got a dead charging system away from home but, before I ask about that, did you receive the battery I sent?

I did and thank you so much . . . it's
being evaluated as we speak before
letting the Battery Minder do it's
pixie-dust thing . . .

Quote:
On to my charging system... It's a typical external regulator configuration as shown on your basic drawings. I recently repaired a broken b-lead at the alternator and, with that repair, I had to replace the regulator. The ANL looked good visually but I did not test it. It tested good after repair. Â

It worked for a 5.5 hr flight flight to Boulder City Nevada. Though there was some cycling visible on the load meter. The ANL blew on next start. Cheap voltmeter measures zero ohms from alt b+ output measured at the ship side of the b+ lead (disconnected fro the rest of the ship did wiring) I haven't pulled the alternator yet.. while I haven't confirmed there is not a short on the b+ lead I think it unlikely. Do alternator diodes fail shorted? If that happens, is my new regulator toast? I was hoping to fix it today but, sigh, I'm not sure I'll find everything I need...

Yup, that's how they fail. The only way
an ANL should pop is if you've got TWO
or more diodes shorted. The broken b-lead
deprived the regulator of information vital
to keeping alternator output under control.
The regulator would have full-fielded the
alternator causing output to rise to many,
many volts . . . in this case, more than
the diodes could take . . . hence reverse
voltage cascade and meltdown.

Your new regulator is probably just fine.

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: