Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Compartment Connector Help PLEASE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Engine Compartment Connector Help PLEASE Reply with quote

Greetings,

I am looking for an “engine compartment proof” connector for a 9 conductor ignition sensor cable so I thought I would ask the pros at the Aeroelectric list for help…again.

I have an engine that has dual Lightspeed Plasma III ignition systems and I need to remove the engine to gain access to the accessory case.

The dilemma is that the two cables (containing 9 conductors each) that run from the crank sensor at the nose of the engine to the ignition modules mounted on the cold side of the firewall are too short to be able to move the engine out far enough to gain access to the accessory case…the crank sensor end of the cables are soldered to the crank sensor PC board and the ignition module end is on the cold side of the firewall and it has D-Sub connectors that are too large to pull out through the firewall wire conduit (see picture of conduit before all of the other wires were run through it.

So I am considering cutting the 9 conductor cables in half on the engine side of the firewall and using some kind of VERY RELIABLE connector to splice these VERY IMPORTANT cables.

Does anyone have any product recommendation? D-Sub (liquid proof male and female hoods)??? Deutch connectors??? I would prefer a metal connector body although I do not think it will really matter.

Thanks,
Bill Hunter

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

0925160837_(002).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.11 KB
 Viewed:  2108 Time(s)

0925160837_(002).jpg

echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Engine Compartment Connector Help PLEASE Reply with quote

I use a 25-pin Dsub with the female side mounted from the inside of the firewall. It is a ceramic filled Dsub, so that in the case of a fire it will be more resilient than the galvanized steel that Zenith specifies for the firewall. All of the engine instruments, including the CHT and EGT probes go through that Dsub.* It makes for a very clean installation. If you have the Dsub on one side already, consider just making that parallelegram hole, and being done with it.

*I just crimped a pin onto the end of the wires. If there is more than 1* of difference between the wires inside of that connector, I'll be a monkey's uncle. Wait. Given my nephews, that may be the case already.

On Friday, April 12, 2019, 4:17:13 PM EDT, billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Greetings,

I am looking for an “engine compartment proof” connector for a 9 conductor ignition sensor cable so I thought I would ask the pros at the Aeroelectric list for help…again.

I have an engine that has dual Lightspeed Plasma III ignition systems and I need to remove the engine to gain access to the accessory case.

The dilemma is that the two cables (containing 9 conductors each) that run from the crank sensor at the nose of the engine to the ignition modules mounted on the cold side of the firewall are too short to be able to move the engine out far enough to gain access to the accessory case…the crank sensor end of the cables are soldered to the crank sensor PC board and the ignition module end is on the cold side of the firewall and it has D-Sub connectors that are too large to pull out through the firewall wire conduit (see picture of conduit before all of the other wires were run through it.

So I am considering cutting the 9 conductor cables in half on the engine side of the firewall and using some kind of VERY RELIABLE connector to splice these VERY IMPORTANT cables.

Does anyone have any product recommendation? D-Sub (liquid proof male and female hoods)??? Deutch connectors??? I would prefer a metal connector body although I do not think it will really matter.

Thanks,
Bill Hunter

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Engine Compartment Connector Help PLEASE Reply with quote

Quote:

The dilemma is that the two cables (containing 9 conductors each) that run from the crank sensor at the nose of the engine to the ignition modules mounted on the cold side of the firewall are too short to be able to move the engine out far enough to gain access to the accessory casethe crank sensor end of the cables are soldered to the crank sensor PC board and the ignition module end is on the cold side of the firewall and it has D-Sub connectors that are too large to pull out through the firewall wire conduit (see picture of conduit before all of the other wires were run through it.

The most robust/reliable is to simply extend the harnesses
with additional wire SPLICED onto the original harness
such that excess wire forms a service-loop that is
coiled and tied off for normal operations.
Quote:

Close cousins to these connectors are found under the
hood of bizillions of vehicles. They are dust/water
tight.

https://tinyurl.com/y3yl5ls2

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: