Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magnetometer wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcone1381

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Magnetometer wiring Reply with quote

I will placing a magnetometer, LED Navigation lights, and LED Strobe Lights in my wings. Is it common and necessary to separate the Magnetometer wire bundle from all other wiring or can all of these be run together in one bundle?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Magnetometer wiring Reply with quote

Brooks,
I don't know the specifics of what you are doing but here are a couple of thoughts which might guide you:
  • Follow the manufacturers' recommendations for wiring.
  • Magnetometers need to be installed away from anything which has a magnetic field (steel and iron and magnets in things like servo motors). Their wiring is not particularly sensitive.
  • The wiring for strobes, even LED strobes, may require shielding. Follow the manufacturers' recommendations. (Did I say that already? 😎)
In my Bede BD-4C, I put the magnetometer in the fuselage, far away from everything. The strobes are in the wingtips. There are no lights near the magnetometer.
    -- Art Z.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 6:22 PM bcone1381 <bcone1964(at)gmail.com (bcone1964(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "bcone1381" <bcone1964(at)gmail.com (bcone1964(at)gmail.com)>

I will placing a magnetometer, LED Navigation lights, and LED Strobe Lights in my wings. Is it common and necessary to separate the Magnetometer wire bundle from all other wiring or can all of these be run together in one bundle?

--------
Brooks Cone
Bearhawk Patrol Kit Build

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/"Love wins. Love always wins." Morrie Schwartz

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rick(at)beebe.org

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Magnetometer wiring Reply with quote

I don't know about "common" but I would test it before you get things bundled up too tightly. Closely follow the manufacturer's recommendations on shielding and if they have diagnostics, use them. I had a lot of trouble with my LED strobes interfering with the magnetometer even though my magnetometer is in the tail. My plane was built with standard Whelen strobes and I replaced those with Aveo LED. I imagined LEDs would be electrically quieter but they're not. When I installed the magnetometer I ended up having to replace all the strobe wire and being very careful to make sure everything was securely grounded as the manufacturers said to. The magnetometer still registers every pulse but it's within allowable tolerances now.
--Rick
On 4/1/2019 7:07 PM, bcone1381 wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "bcone1381" <bcone1964(at)gmail.com> (bcone1964(at)gmail.com)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: