Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Static Wicks - Bonding of Flight Controls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Static Wicks - Bonding of Flight Controls Reply with quote

At 10:21 PM 2/27/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "jsajpf" <john.friday_adis(at)sbcglobal.net>

Bob (et al),
Looking for insight into legacy Type Certificated airplane design rationale for installing static wicks and bonding jumpers between fixed structure and movable flight control surfaces.

Selecting style, number and placement of
static wicks on a TC aircraft is an arduous
task made possible by a survey of the ship's
natural streamer locations . . . which
may or may NOT be in the same locations
for similar aircraft. We used to bolt
static wicks to some models at Cessna . . .
as I recall it was a kit that a customer
could order. But I'm 99% sure there were
no electro-static survey tools used to
optimize the location of wicks much
less confirm their efficacy.

Quote:
Several E/AB designs do not specify installation of static wicks nor bonding jumpers for flight control surfaces. The particular design I plan to build is among this group and reports from those with years flying the design are (albeit a limited number of respondents): no issues with P-static and the like.

Then I wouldn't worry about it. P-static
issues are rare in the OBAM aircraft world.
We just don't spend much time cruising at
300 knots through rain, snow or ice
crystals.

Quote:
I cannot attest to the types of operations, nor how frequent the exposure to conditions conducive to P-Static interference, for the respondents to my query.

Looking for input from TC house folks (Bob) regarding rules of thumb, design standards, etc. regarding incorporation of static wicks and bonding??

My experience with the subject matter is as a maintainer, troubleshooting reports of symptoms of P-Static while in visible moisture, required inspections after a lightning strike, routine verification (inspections) of electrode-to-surface bonding values, etc. Correction of broken or degraded control surface bonding cured the majority of reported faults. Some degraded antenna bonds are among the mix as well. Design standards applicable to mitigating P-Static trouble are not clear to me and my understanding of design criteria/recommendations is admittedly academic (at best).

What say ye, the sage?!

I wouldn't bolt any hardware to the
airplane until experience suggests
it might fix a demonstrated difficulty.

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
jsajpf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Static Wicks - Bonding of Flight Controls Reply with quote

Sounds like wisdom to me Bob. Thanks for the response!
John

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: