Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rotax 582 Weight Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donnc(at)inebraska.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Rotax 582 Weight Question Reply with quote

Pulsar forum,
Can someone who knows tell me what the wet weight of the Rotax 582 would be installed in the Pulsar I. How does that compare with the wet weights of the Rotax 912 and the Jabiru 2200. I haven't seen a side-by-side comparison to know the actual difference. The comparison would be relevant to the on-going discussion. Donn C

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
pulsar1(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Rotax 582 Weight Question Reply with quote

I would also like to find out just what the difference is between the Rotax 582 and the Jabiru. I know that Greg Smith has done the caparison. I'm wondering if he could give us the weight difference. I believe that we would gain 10 HP using the Jabiru 2200.
Thanks
George

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 12:26:42 PM PST, donnc(at)inebraska.com <donnc(at)inebraska.com> wrote:

Pulsar forum,
Can someone who knows tell me what the wet weight of the Rotax 582 would be installed in the Pulsar I. How does that compare with the wet weights of the Rotax 912 and the Jabiru 2200. I haven't seen a side-by-side comparison to know the actual difference. The comparison would be relevant to the on-going discussion. Donn C

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

kulpa(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Rotax 582 Weight Question Reply with quote

A 582 weighs in at 110 lb, the Rotax 2200 at 137 lb.
You not only have a weight issue but torque and load.
Quote:
Best Regards, Bill
C: 512-415-2991
On 1/23/2019 5:24 PM, George Gennuso wrote:

Quote:
I would also like to find out just what the difference is between the Rotax 582 and the Jabiru. I know that Greg Smith has done the caparison. I'm wondering if he could give us the weight difference. I believe that we would gain 10 HP using the Jabiru 2200.
Thanks
George 

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 12:26:42 PM PST, donnc(at)inebraska.com (donnc(at)inebraska.com) <donnc(at)inebraska.com> (donnc(at)inebraska.com) wrote:

Pulsar forum,
Can someone who knows tell me what the wet weight of the Rotax 582 would be installed in the Pulsar I.  How does that compare with the wet weights of the Rotax 912 and the Jabiru 2200.  I haven't seen a side-by-side comparison to know the actual difference. The comparison would be relevant to the on-going discussion. Donn C

gregsmi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Rotax 582 Weight Question Reply with quote

It has been a long time since I did the conversion. I am out of town right now so do not have access to the information so I will go from memory.

I pulled the 582 and weight it with the radiators full and the muffler. I also had an oil tank installed on the back of the engine for oil injection. That weight was within 10-15 pounds of the 2200. I can check when I get home for more accurate data but that is what I remember.

There was a lot of planning to doing this. New engine mount, maintaining the thrust line, keeping the engine close to firewall, it was not a slap in and go.

The results are nice, but nothing to brag about. First, the 582 delivers 65 hp to the prop through a gear box that keeps the prop turning around 2500rpm. The 2200 is rated at 80 hp at 3300 rpm, and significantly less at 3000 rpm. The direct drive prop has to turn at 3000 plus to get the horsepower, not very efficient.

So, having flown and owned Pulsars with 582, 2200, and 912, here is my thoughts. The 582 is a great performer, instant horsepower, lite weight, and very lite on the controls. The 2200 sacrifices the lite feel and great performance for a longer take off and maybe 10 - 15 MPH top end. The 912 is a great performer, great on cross country, and hates leaded gas. That is my opinion on the three. I love to fly each one. Can you make them go faster, absolutely, all it takes is time and experimentation, but you have to keep in mind, the Pulsar design does have limits and exceeding those is not safe.

Got to go, wife is waiting on me. We have a hot date for bingo.

Fly safe,

Greg

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: