Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenryan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Battery Reply with quote

Keep in mind that output is highly dependent upon sun angle (time of year, time of day) and cloud cover.

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 12:37 PM Ernest Christley <echristley(at)att.net (echristley(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Consider the following in conjunction with the charge controller.  I'm limited to day-VFR, and my bladder keeps my flying legs down to 2 hours.  My running current draw is somewhere down around 10 amps.  With a couple of these plastered to the top of my wings, and a battery appropriately sized for a couple hours of runtime, would I EVER run out of electrons before fuel?  At around $110, these would definitely be cheaper than a mechanical electron pusher.  Without relays and crowbars, et. al., I would expect the wiring to be MUCH simpler.  The weight is quoted as "less than 5 lbs", so lighter than all but the smallest of generators (?).
This would be a major departure from years of lessons learned in the aircraft community, but. . .

WindyNation 100 Watt 12V Flexible Solar Panel with Monocrystalline Solar Cells | eBay
$114.99
WindyNation 100 Watt 12V Flexible Solar Panel with Monocrystalline Solar...
WindyNation 1 00Watt (12 volt) Flexible Monocyrstalline Solar Panel with Monocrystalline Solar Cells. WindyNatio...

On Monday, January 28, 2019, 3:05:17 PM EST, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:

eBay thing 183558004137

It would appear that this specific one works with a sun-based contribution of 6 to 18

volts. There are unquestionably some shabby reasonable choices accessible for the

Do-It-Yourselfer.� Much more are accessible for Lithium batteries.

These do look intereseting . . . I've got
  some on order.

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Battery Reply with quote

Like I said, our current systems are built on a lifetime of experience. This is new technology that was not even thought of when many of the systems we take for granted were designed. Taking advantage of them safely will require extensive analysis of all costs vs benefits.
One question that comes to mind is, "Is it acceptable to manage battery life in the same way we manage fuel in the tank?"

On Monday, January 28, 2019, 5:19:33 PM EST, Ken Ryan <keninalaska(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Keep in mind that output is highly dependent upon sun angle (time of year, time of day) and cloud cover.
On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 12:37 PM Ernest Christley <echristley(at)att.net (echristley(at)att.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Consider the following in conjunction with the charge controller. I'm limited to day-VFR, and my bladder keeps my flying legs down to 2 hours. My running current draw is somewhere down around 10 amps. With a couple of these plastered to the top of my wings, and a battery appropriately sized for a couple hours of runtime, would I EVER run out of electrons before fuel? At around $110, these would definitely be cheaper than a mechanical electron pusher. Without relays and crowbars, et. al., I would expect the wiring to be MUCH simpler. The weight is quoted as "less than 5 lbs", so lighter than all but the smallest of generators (?).

This would be a major departure from years of lessons learned in the aircraft community, but. . .
WindyNation 100 Watt 12V Flexible Solar Panel with Monocrystalline Solar Cells | eBay

$114.99
WindyNation 100 Watt 12V Flexible Solar Panel with Monocrystalline Solar...
WindyNation 1 00Watt (12 volt) Flexible Monocyrstalline Solar Panel with Monocrystalline Solar Cells. WindyNatio...

On Monday, January 28, 2019, 3:05:17 PM EST, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
eBay thing 183558004137 It would appear that this specific one works with a sun-based contribution of 6 to 18 volts. There are unquestionably some shabby reasonable choices accessible for the Do-It-Yourselfer.� Much more are accessible for Lithium batteries.
These do look intereseting . . . I've got some on order.
Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

skywagon185(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Battery Reply with quote

If. . . the solar panel is a low current variety, say 1 amp or less, I believe a simple zener diode across the output, at the right voltage, will just clip the voltage at what ever it chosen...Thus, no over charging of a full charged battery.
On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 6:12 PM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
At 07:44 PM 1/21/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
I learned today from EarthX that they are ok with using a small solar charger to charge their batteries, as long as it will NEVER exceed 14.6 volts. Their emphasis, not mine.They also stated that many solar units commonly are 15 volts or more and therefore not to be used with their batteries.

Virtually ALL solar arrays offered to charge
  12v batteries will have a full-sun, open-circuit
  voltage in excess of 16 volts.

The 'small' arrays also have a rather large
  internal impedance . . . meaning that the
  output voltage falls off as load is increased.
  But as any battery being charged with a 'barefoot'
  solar array achieves full charge, flow of current
  into the battery is not moderated.

The short story is that any solar array
  being considered needs to have a significant
  current capability . . . the wall-wart maintainers
  are good for about 0.8A and WILL eventually
  top off a rather large battery.

But to deliver 0.8A under marginal sun-light
  conditions, the full-sun capability needs to
  be 2x to 3x that amount . . . say 2.5A at
  14 volts or about 35 watts.

Those cute little solar panels with cigar
  lighter plugs are good for about 1-2 watts
  and will MAINTAIN a fully charged battery.
  But it takes a more robust device to serve
  as replacement for the ship's engine driven
  power source . . . i.e. top off a partially
  discharged battery while hangared.

The more robust arrays need some form of
  electronics to keep their full-sun performance
  from beating up an already full-charge battery.

Bob . . .

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Battery Reply with quote

At 02:57 PM 2/6/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
If. . . the solar panel is a low current variety, say 1 amp or less, I believe a simple zener diode across the output, at the right voltage, will just clip the voltage at what ever it chosen...Thus, no over charging of a full charged battery.

Possibly . . . but what target votlage?
If you're asking the solar array to mainatain
a fully charged battery, then indeed a 13.0
volt zener would proably do.

But this thread started as an exploration of
using solar power sources to CHARGE the
battery in an airplane with no engine driven
power source. In this case, you need to clamp
off at 14.5 for a top-off interval and the
drop to the 13.0 sustaining voltage.

Further, charging a battery probably calls
for something larger than a 100mA solar
array . . .

Presumably, the solar battery smart charger
module cited earlier will hat-dance to the
right tune. Got on on order.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: