Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LED Noise Filter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cluros(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: LED Noise Filter Reply with quote

Thought I should update the list with our results.

I manufactured a couple filters as per the diagram above and Bob's suggested components. Took our noisiest light to my friends avionics shop and powered it without the filter while looking for noise on the power lines. We saw very very little noise on the power lines so we decided to have a look at the frequency noise and from 5 feet away the radio noise was very noticeable. Wish I had recorded the actual numbers. In any case the noise from one light was enough to break the squelch on a radio, and enough to noticeable hear even while listening to a strong radio signal.
So while loosing hope that the filters would cure the problem but without being able to come up with a better plan, we installed them in the aircraft and gave them a try. Total success. It is now barely possible to hear any noise when operating the lights in the hangar, once the engine is started no noise is noticeable.
Thank you all for your help.
On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 6:53 AM William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com (wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
for anyone that's interested this one worked for me.  I have all Dynon instruments and comms
Amazon:  "Abrams T3-W Led Grille Emergency Vehicle Warning Strobe Lights - White"

William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 7:18 PM Ernest Christley <echristley(at)att.net (echristley(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:
I've had excellent results using these devices.  N167EZ uses them for marker, strobe, taxi and landing lights.  I've inspected them with an oscilloscope.  Nothing but DC.  And, I've never heard radio inteference from them.   Especially of interest, I built the strobe by using an electronic  automotive turn signal flasher to alternate between two 30W supplies, that each drive an array of three 10W LEDs.  While testing them out in the sunlight, the easiest way to know they were working (a 601XL is hard to turn around and look back in) was to take my headset off and listen for the flasher's clacking.

http://www.mpja.com/LED-Driver-30W-Output-12-24VDC-Input/productinfo/31559+PS/

On Sunday, September 30, 2018 9:58 AM, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com (cluros(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Certainly Will. We already have 2 batches of these trying to randomly find some that are better. No noise at all sounds ideal Smile.On Sun, Sep 30, 2018, 04:35 William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com (wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Having been through this one (cheap chinese landing light)...
I bought an USD20 light which completely blocked all comms within 20 feet.
I bought another one, American designed made in China for USD30 - and no noise at all.  I can dig out the manufacturer if youre interested.  
Will
William Daniell
LONGPORT+57 310 295 0744

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 12:16 AM Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com (cluros(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KJ94Q1K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If they were the +$300 ones made for aircraft I would call the manufacturer but these are 15% of the price of the aviation ones so I understand why the builder chose them. If we can fix this for $20 worth of parts it makes sense to me.

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 8:43 PM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
At 03:52 PM 9/29/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
VHF Radio. Basically background static. On some of the lights it's barely noticeable and you have to listen carefully to hear it, on at least one light it creates enough VHF noise to break squelch on the radio and creates a very noticeable amount of static.
  Okay, and what is the LED product we're talking about?   Have you had any conversation wthe the manufacturer?   Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: