Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
BBS Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists
 
 Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Splice wires

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rngurley(at)att.net
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Splice wires Reply with quote

What is the proper technique for splicing two #14 wires to one #16 wire. Sorry for the newbie question. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Splice wires Reply with quote

At 10:09 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Dick Gurley <rngurley(at)att.net>

What is the proper technique for splicing two #14 wires to one #16 wire. Sorry for the newbie question. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

Lots of ways work just fine. you can use a crimped
butt splice, although you'd have to use a yellow
splice and double up one of the wires.

You can do a soldered lap-joint covered
in heat shrink.

But I'm curious as to the mixture
of wire sizes. What power do these wires carry and
what is the circuit protection for those wires?



Bob . . .


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
rngurley(at)att.net
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Splice wires Reply with quote

Thank you Bob -

The two wires come from a heated Garmin pitot tube system. Garmin twisted and soldered the two wires together at the factory. The Garmin G3X manual calls for 14 gauge wire for the length required (>21 feet). The manual also calls for a 20 amp fuse for power onto the control box. The max current draw is listed at 12 amps.
I measured the provided twisted and soldered wire to obtain a 12 gauge equivalent.
Where can I learn about a soldered lap joint with heat shrink
Than you again
Dick

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 2, 2018, at 11:57 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
At 10:09 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Dick Gurley <rngurley(at)att.net (rngurley(at)att.net)>

What is the proper technique for splicing two #14 wires to one #16 wire. Sorry for the newbie question. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

Lots of ways work just fine. you can use a crimped
butt splice, although you'd have to use a yellow
splice and double up one of the wires.

You can do a soldered lap-joint covered
in heat shrink.

But I'm curious as to the mixture
of wire sizes. What power do these wires carry and
what is the circuit protection for those wires?



Bob . . . =================================== otstore.com matronics.com/contribution =================================== st">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List =================================== cs.com =================================== om =================================== matronics.com/contribution ===================================


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
art(at)zemon.name
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Splice wires Reply with quote

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 2:21 PM Dick Gurley <rngurley(at)att.net (rngurley(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:
Where can I learn about a soldered lap joint with heat shrink

 
Dick,
I wrote it up with photos in my blog post Physical & Electrical Considerations when Mounting Avionics. That post also includes a link to Bob's shop notes on "Poor Man's Solder Sleeves" which have all of the detailed instructions that you will need.
Also see my photos near the bottom of my blog post Wiring Harness Installed because there are some splices with 1 wire coming into the splice and 2 wires going out the other side.
Cheers,
    -- Art Z.

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Splice wires Reply with quote

At 11:59 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
Thank you Bob -

The two wires come from a heated Garmin pitot tube system. Garmin twisted and soldered the two wires together at the factory. The Garmin G3X manual calls for 14 gauge wire for the length required (>21 feet). The manual also calls for a 20 amp fuse for power onto the control box. The max current draw is listed at 12 amps.

I measured the provided twisted and soldered wire to obtain a 12 gauge equivalent.

Where can I learn about a soldered lap joint with heat shrink

https://tinyurl.com/c5v2xvm



Bob . . .


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
skywagon185(at)gmail.com
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Splice wires Reply with quote

Art Z., amazing that you find the time to keep your well designed multifaceted blog up to date and handle all of your projects and interests. ...Bravo..!
On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 11:06 PM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
At 11:59 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
Thank you Bob -

The two wires come from a heated Garmin pitot tube system.  Garmin twisted and soldered the two wires together at the factory. The Garmin G3X manual calls for 14 gauge wire for the length required (>21 feet). The manual also calls for a 20 amp fuse for power onto the control box. The max current draw is listed at 12 amps.

I measured the provided twisted and soldered wire to obtain a 12 gauge equivalent.

Where can I learn about a soldered lap joint with heat shrink

https://tinyurl.com/c5v2xvm



  Bob . . .


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
art(at)zemon.name
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Splice wires Reply with quote

Thanks and LOL. My cheat is that I am doing a blog instead of a formal builder's log. 
Cheers,
    -- Art Z.

On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 1:22 PM skywagon185guy <skywagon185(at)gmail.com (skywagon185(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Art Z., amazing that you find the time to keep your well designed multifaceted blog up to date and handle all of your projects and interests. ...Bravo..!

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
markwheelermd(at)icloud.c
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Splice wires Reply with quote

Thanks Kirk. It’s been a PITA for both of us.
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2018, at 7:22 PM, Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name (art(at)zemon.name)> wrote:
Thanks and LOL. My cheat is that I am doing a blog instead of a formal builder's log.

Cheers,
-- Art Z.
On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 1:22 PM skywagon185guy <skywagon185(at)gmail.com (skywagon185(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Art Z., amazing that you find the time to keep your well designed multifaceted blog up to date and handle all of your projects and interests. ...Bravo..!


-- https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."





- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
bob.verwey(at)gmail.com
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Splice wires Reply with quote

….and modest too! 
You are a man amongst men, Art!
Best...Bob Verwey

082 331 2727
[img]https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B5d7rgAInTuTUUZsUjY4QmJsdVU&revid=0B5d7rgAInTuTdDJDaXRFZVh3b3lMa3FWL0s3MFdzc01YRlNvPQ[/img]

On Mon, 5 Nov 2018 at 05:28, Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name (art(at)zemon.name)> wrote:

Quote:
Thanks and LOL. My cheat is that I am doing a blog instead of a formal builder's log. 
Cheers,
    -- Art Z.

On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 1:22 PM skywagon185guy <skywagon185(at)gmail.com (skywagon185(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Art Z., amazing that you find the time to keep your well designed multifaceted blog up to date and handle all of your projects and interests. ...Bravo..!

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."



- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group