Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CFI techniques for glass panel pilots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a.s.elliott(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: CFI techniques for glass panel pilots Reply with quote

I am an ex-military IP and civilian CFI for just over 40 years. (Ancient…) These days I mainly do flight reviews and WINGS instruction in experimentals with experienced pilots. It is true that part of the experimental community is especially enamored of glass panels and I have seen many panels with *no* back-up instruments.

One technique I find especially good is to have the pilot remove/disable the moving map display(s) and turn off his tablet, then go to a local airport he has been to many times. The pilot has to look at the map ahead of time and pick out some visible landmarks, and find them in flight. Just like 40 years ago! Autopilot is allowed (Makes for much better traffic scanning), but only in the heading mode. No course tracking.

Using this technique is especially interesting at night, where the advantage of lit-up towns and highways outside of cities is counterbalanced by the difficulty in finding things (like runways) in the dense sea of lights in modern cities. The sighting differences associated with altitude can be extreme, both favorably and un-.

Pilots are apprehensive to start, but quickly regain basic flying/navigating skills, and invariably “find” all kinds of things enroute that they’ve been flying over for years and never seen! Every single pilot I’ve done this with has thought it a valuable training experience.

FWIW,
Andy Elliott

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
speedy11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: CFI techniques for glass panel pilots Reply with quote

Andy,
Good on ya!!  That is exactly the training our current crop of glass-trained pilots need.I salute you.
On the 737 Max issue, I am a retired 737 pilot (never flew the Max - but then most 73 pilots have not flown it) and there is recent concern that female pilots will not have the upper body strength to turn the manual trim crank - on any version.  I often wondered about that very issue since I found turning it to be a challenge.  I'm not sure what the solution will be except to restrict the jets to a maximum of one female in the cockpit so there a male to spin the trim.There is a LOT of bogus "info" being circulated so read anything so related with skepticism.
Stan Sutterfield

Time: 07:42:14 AM PST US
Subject: CFI techniques for glass panel pilots

I am an ex-military IP and civilian CFI for just over 40 years. (Ancient.) These
days I mainly do flight reviews and WINGS
instruction in experimentals with experienced pilots.  It is true that part of
the experimental community is especially enamored of
glass panels and I have seen many panels with *no* back-up instruments.

One technique I find especially good is to have the pilot remove/disable the moving
map display(s) and turn off his tablet, then go
to a local airport he has been to many times.  The pilot has to look at the map
ahead of time and pick out some visible landmarks,
and find them in flight. Just like 40 years ago!  Autopilot is allowed (Makes for
much better traffic scanning), but only in the
heading mode.  No course tracking.

Using this technique is especially interesting at night, where the advantage of
lit-up towns and highways outside of cities is
counterbalanced by the difficulty in finding things (like runways) in the dense
sea of lights in modern cities.  The sighting
differences associated with altitude can be extreme, both favorably and un-

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: