Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fwd: Hello everyone , new here and need some help !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwparkinson(at)btinternet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Fwd: Hello everyone , new here and need some help ! Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi all
Im building an Rv8 and would like to make it IFR with a Garmin g3x fit .

After reading the excellent online book Aeroelectric Connection i intend to use the system 13/8 with B&C parts . (Attached Diagram )
[img]cid:5AF805CB-E91C-49D7-ACCE-6C7472E00007[/img]
I however have a few questions , as my school boy electrics is struggling !

1)What happens to an Alternator ( in this case the SD-Cool when it reaches its max current capacity , does it get hot and eventually blow , or does it just start decreasing its voltage output , eventually going below the battery voltage causing a current drain from the Batt ?

2) If its the former I'm thinking following a Main Alternator failure if the Aux Alternator is turned on ( without opening the main battery contactor ) maybe there is room to overload this too ? If so i was thinking maybe an improvement to this system would be an interlock that when the E-Bus and Aux Alt are activated they open the ground to the battery contactor coil and thus prevent an overload of the emergency system ? Maybe you could have a guarded 3 posn switch that on first click , opens the main battery contactor and closes the E-Bus Alternate feed , then second click closes the AUX - Alt feed relay ? A one switch saves the day sort of thing ??

3) It would be nice to have a CAS message on my Garmin G3x that indicates if the SD-8 is functioning ok incase of a main failure . Im thinking of a “Standby Alt Fail “ caption that would indicate when ever the SD-8 is not producing power and ready for an emergency . What sort of output would an unloaded ( Supply relay open ) Sd-8 be producing ? unstable , high , low or on task at 12v?? How can i send a “I'm functioning ok and producing power “ signal ? Maybe a relay coil on its output that closes a signal to the G3X ?? ( see my hand drawing )
[img]cid:8F93CFCE-13D5-444D-93CA-52D11D73DBC6[/img]
But maybe id need diode after that coil to ensure its only Aux Alt that can close it and not reverse supply ?? What would a Diode in the line do to supply voltage ?? How could i make it so the relay closes at 12ish volts ??

Any better ideas ??

Too many questions I know !

Thank you so much for any help !

Neil

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

PastedGraphic-1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.21 KB
 Viewed:  1271 Time(s)

PastedGraphic-1.png

IMG_0248.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.7 KB
 Viewed:  1271 Time(s)

IMG_0248.jpeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: