Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instrument Panel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kulpa(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

I do not remember ever seeing any mention of how anyone has built their instrument panel.  I am working on mine and while I have ideas on what I'm going to do, I would appreciate seeing what others have done.
I plan to use Dynon Skyview so the closest panel I've found is the one below by Thomas S.  He used the older D10 series with what looks like a Garmin 430.  Attached is an image of what I plan to do  The Avidyne IFD440 is on the left so I can dial it in while flying with my right hand.  The front panel is easy to figure out but how others supported the deep instruments is where I have questions.  For now, I'm planning to build in another support panel about 10" behind the front one so I can strap the back of the IFD440 and have a place to mount other items, like the engine monitor.  Notice, I do not plan to have the center panel so the bottom front of the panel is an angle bracket for rigidity.

Quote:
--
Best Regards, Bill
C: 512-415-2991

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List

Panel_Layout.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  747.24 KB
 Viewed:  6034 Time(s)

Panel_Layout.JPG

ghf4986(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Bill,
I built the panel for an XP -2009  and an RV9 (in progress).  Some thoughts for the XP:
I did not like the center panel either, not enough room to move my legs so I used metal it is heavier but you cut out most of the metal any way.
I used longer wires so the panel is removable and can be positioned on a board that goes across the fuselage.
I like the idea of a sub panel for hanging excess wires and components.
I used fuses with an LED light that goes out if the fuse is blown.  For the RV9 I found fuses that light if the fuse is blown.  I consider fuses safer than relays as relays are a heat/mechanical device.  I carry spare fuses color coded per location.
I installed a Dynon D180 in the XP, no problems since 2009.
I originally installed a vacuum system but took it out since it was not reliable, heavy and not necessary with my other instruments.
I also fly with and Ipad mini 4 using Foreflight with Scout for ADS-B in and navigation.  This backs up to my I phone and I mount it on a knee padi.  I wired in Aux power

I have a two axis autopilot and fly with controlled steering, now WASS

I carry a hand held radio for backup.
I have running lights, strobes, and landing lights all LED.
All systems are individually switched.

Here are some pictures of the XP
For the RV, same ideas used except I installed a Dynon Skyview with all the Skyview subsystems.  I installed a fuse panel with spars if I forget something or for expansion later.  It has ADSB in and out.  I also installed 4 usb ports, Vertial Power Sport for all electronics power controls, and dimmed LSD panel lights.  The last picture is of the RV 9 panel you can see that the panel is much simpler with room for expansion.  I still will fly with Foreflight as it will talk to Skyview for rout planning.
Dennis Adams

On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 3:47 PM Bill <kulpa(at)att.net (kulpa(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:

I do not remember ever seeing any mention of how anyone has built their instrument panel.  I am working on mine and while I have ideas on what I'm going to do, I would appreciate seeing what others have done.
I plan to use Dynon Skyview so the closest panel I've found is the one below by Thomas S.  He used the older D10 series with what looks like a Garmin 430.  Attached is an image of what I plan to do  The Avidyne IFD440 is on the left so I can dial it in while flying with my right hand.  The front panel is easy to figure out but how others supported the deep instruments is where I have questions.  For now, I'm planning to build in another support panel about 10" behind the front one so I can strap the back of the IFD440 and have a place to mount other items, like the engine monitor.  Notice, I do not plan to have the center panel so the bottom front of the panel is an angle bracket for rigidity.

Quote:
--
Best Regards, Bill

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

100_7371.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1002.69 KB
 Viewed:  6033 Time(s)

100_7371.jpg

P3160003.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.56 KB

P3160003.JPG

D215F1F6-32AE-4275-A3B4-641BFA1C04EB.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.84 KB

D215F1F6-32AE-4275-A3B4-641BFA1C04EB.JPG

kulpa(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Dennis,
Thanks for the pictures.  I also plan to use the Vertical power Sport for wiring so I can do away with fuses and circuit breakers.  It looks like you didn't install an autopilot so you got away with fewer Dynon boxes.  The Avidyne is in there so I can fly IFR.  I've found that flying cross country and not being equipped to handle IFR is a really bad idea.
Quote:
Best Regards, Bill
On 8/19/2018 6:56 PM, Dennis Adams wrote:

Quote:
Bill,

I built the panel for an XP -2009  and an RV9 (in progress).  Some thoughts for the XP:

I did not like the center panel either, not enough room to move my legs so I used metal it is heavier but you cut out most of the metal any way.

I used longer wires so the panel is removable and can be positioned on a board that goes across the fuselage.

I used fuses with an LED light that goes out if the fuse is blown.  For the RV9 I found fuses that light if the fuse is blown.  I consider fuses safer than relays as relays are a heat/mechanical device.  I carry spare fuses color coded per location.

I originally installed a vacuum system but took it out since it was not reliable, heavy and not necessary with my other instruments.

I also fly with and Ipad mini 4 using Foreflight with Scout for ADS-B in and navigation.  This backs up to my I phone and I mount it on a knee padi.  I wired in Aux power

For the RV, same ideas used except I installed a Dynon Skyview with all the Skyview subsystems.  I installed a fuse panel with spars if I forget something or for expansion later.  It has ADSB in and out.  I also installed 4 usb ports, Vertial Power Sport for all electronics power controls, and dimmed LSD panel lights.  The last picture is of the RV 9 panel you can see that the panel is much simpler with room for expansion.  I still will fly with Foreflight as it will talk to Skyview for rout planning.

Dennis Adams

On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 3:47 PM Bill <kulpa(at)att.net (kulpa(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
--
Best Regards, Bill

ghf4986(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Bill, Right, I do not fly IFR. The Rv panel does have a Dynon auto pilot.
Dennis

Sent from an IPad

On Aug 19, 2018, at 6:22 PM, Bill <kulpa(at)att.net (kulpa(at)att.net)> wrote:

Dennis,
Thanks for the pictures. I also plan to use the Vertical power Sport for wiring so I can do away with fuses and circuit breakers. It looks like you didn't install an autopilot so you got away with fewer Dynon boxes. The Avidyne is in there so I can fly IFR. I've found that flying cross country and not being equipped to handle IFR is a really bad idea.
Quote:
Best Regards, Bill
On 8/19/2018 6:56 PM, Dennis Adams wrote:

Quote:
Bill,

I built the panel for an XP -2009 and an RV9 (in progress). Some thoughts for the XP:

I used fuses with an LED light that goes out if the fuse is blown. For the RV9 I found fuses that light if the fuse is blown. I consider fuses safer than relays as relays are a heat/mechanical device. I carry spare fuses color coded per location.

I also fly with and Ipad mini 4 using Foreflight with Scout for ADS-B in and navigation. This backs up to my I phone and I mount it on a knee padi. I wired in Aux power

For the RV, same ideas used except I installed a Dynon Skyview with all the Skyview subsystems. I installed a fuse panel with spars if I forget something or for expansion later. It has ADSB in and out. I also installed 4 usb ports, Vertial Power Sport for all electronics power controls, and dimmed LSD panel lights. The last picture is of the RV 9 panel you can see that the panel is much simpler with room for expansion. I still will fly with Foreflight as it will talk to Skyview for rout planning.

Dennis Adams

Quote:

I do not remember ever seeing any mention of how anyone has built their instrument panel. I am working on mine and while I have ideas on what I'm going to do, I would appreciate seeing what others have done.
I plan to use Dynon Skyview so the closest panel I've found is the one below by Thomas S. He used the older D10 series with what looks like a Garmin 430. Attached is an image of what I plan to do The Avidyne IFD440 is on the left so I can dial it in while flying with my right hand. The front panel is easy to figure out but how others supported the deep instruments is where I have questions. For now, I'm planning to build in another support panel about 10" behind the front one so I can strap the back of the IFD440 and have a place to mount other items, like the engine monitor. Notice, I do not plan to have the center panel so the bottom front of the panel is an angle bracket for rigidity.

Quote:
--
Best Regards, Bill

Yellowhammer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Thats the sexiest Pulsar panel I have seen to date. A work of art! Interior too!
If I can get my build to turn out half as good as that I will be pleased.

In reality, this picture will only make me step up my game and try to meet the standards shown in these pictures.

Thanks for sharing.

Clyde

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: