Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
BBS Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists
 
 Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matt's repair

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rwstracy(at)gmail.com
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Matt's repair Reply with quote

I recently had an incident on takeoff (strong gust forced me off side of runway) and left gear attach point was forced up into the fuselage when it hit the edge of an intersecting taxiway. It caused the exact same airframe damage that Matt had on his RV-8 in landing incident.

I never heard how the repair went or if it was successful and how hard was the repair job. I’d love to hear something from Matt or others on how it went.

Tracy Crook

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
> On Jun 26, 2018, at 11:57, Brian Huffaker <bifft(at)xmission.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2018, Al Dilger wrote:
>
>
>
> Been wondering about a few RV issues.
> 1=Does anyone know of an accurate fuel measuring device for RV’s? (RV8A) I have Garmin G3X Touch with the Stewart Warner floats.
> Because the “throw” (depth of tank) is relatively short the gauges read 16 gal when full (21g) and stay there until there is about 13g left, aside from that they are pretty accurate.
> Im thinking that a dipstick type of gauge attached to the bottom of the fuel cap could be worked out……..Any thoughts???

A dipstick would have the same problem in the opposite direction, reading
nothing for the last few gallons. Also you couldn't use it in flight.
Would be easy enough to calibrate one starting from an empty tank.

> 2= I would like to see an improvement to the canopy rollers, it seems
> to me that a hard rubber wheel would work better.

Would be an easy change to make, but don't see why rubber wheels would be
an improvement.

> 3= I remember when building I had seen a mod to allow the pilot seat
> back to move more rearward (My seat back sits up too straight) wonder if
> there is a more simple way to accommodate that then changing and
> modifying
> the center support bar.

That would be the "tall pilot option" that Van's sells, they say it is
for 6'6" and up, I'm only 6'4" and have it. Have to duck to close the
canopy if wearing headset. It is just a different center bar with the
main support further back. The extruded angle that forms the sides of the
seatback are also left longer.

If you have short legs, you could move the seatback hinge forward to
get a steeper angle and use the standard center bar. This would mean less
leg room, need a different size/shape seat cushion. You wouldn't have as
bit a flat space before the slope up at the front of the seat.

Brian Huffaker, DSWL (bifft(at)xmission.com)
RV-8A N609HZ in test period


- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Back to top
N38CW



Joined: 16 Apr 2008
Posts: 52
Location: Winston-Salem, NC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Matt's repair Reply with quote

Tracy,
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Matt wound up replacing his fuselage. Not a small nor inexpensive endeavor.
Details can be found here....
http://www.mattsrv8.com/users/category.php?user=MattsRV8&project=2273&category=9041

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Bill Settle



"Experience and common sense cannot be replaced with policy and procedures."

- R.L. Nuckolls III

From: Tracy Crook <rwstracy(at)gmail.com>
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2018 2:25 PM
Subject: Re: Matt's repair


--> RV8-List message posted by: Tracy Crook <rwstracy(at)gmail.com (rwstracy(at)gmail.com)>

I recently had an incident on takeoff (strong gust forced me off side of runway) and left gear attach point was forced up into the fuselage when it hit the edge of an intersecting taxiway. It caused the exact same airframe damage that Matt had on his RV-8 in landing incident.

I never heard how the repair went or if it was successful and how hard was the repair job. I’d love to hear something from Matt or others on how it went.

Tracy Crook

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
> On Jun 26, 2018, at 11:57, Brian Huffaker <bifft(at)xmission.com (bifft(at)xmission.com)> wrote:

Quote:
>

Quote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2018, Al Dilger wrote:

Quote:
>

Quote:
> --> RV8-List message posted by: Al Dilger <avdilger(at)yahoo.com (avdilger(at)yahoo.com)>

Quote:
>

Quote:
> Been wondering about a few RV issues.

Quote:
> 1=Does anyone know of an accurate fuel measuring device for RV’s? (RV8A) I have Garmin G3X Touch with the Stewart Warner floats.

Quote:
> Because the “throw” (depth of tank) is relatively short the gauges read 16 gal when full (21g) and stay there until there is about 13g left, aside from that they are pretty accurate.

Quote:
> Im thinking that a dipstick type of gauge attached to the bottom of the fuel cap could be worked out……..Any thoughts???

Quote:


Quote:
A dipstick would have the same problem in the opposite direction, reading

Quote:
nothing for the last few gallons. Also you couldn't use it in flight.

Quote:
Would be easy enough to calibrate one starting from an empty tank.

Quote:


Quote:
> 2= I would like to see an improvement to the canopy rollers, it seems

Quote:
> to me that a hard rubber wheel would work better.

Quote:


Quote:
Would be an easy change to make, but don't see why rubber wheels would be

Quote:
an improvement.

Quote:


Quote:
> 3= I remember when building I had seen a mod to allow the pilot seat

Quote:
> back to move more rearward (My seat back sits up too straight) wonder if

Quote:
> there is a more simple way to accommodate that then changing and

Quote:
> modifying

Quote:
> the center support bar.

Quote:


Quote:
That would be the "tall pilot option" that Van's sells, they say it is

Quote:
for 6'6" and up, I'm only 6'4" and have it. Have to duck to close the

Quote:
canopy if wearing headset. It is just a different center bar with the

Quote:
main support further back. The extruded angle that forms the sides of the

Quote:
seatback are also left longer.

Quote:


Quote:
If you have short legs, you could move the seatback hinge forward to

Quote:
get a steeper angle and use the standard center bar. This would mean less

Quote:
leg room, need a different size/shape seat cushion. You wouldn't have as

Quote:
bit a flat space before the slope up at the front of the seat.

Quote:


Quote:
Brian Huffaker, DSWL (bifft(at)xmission.com (bifft(at)xmission.com))

Quote:
RV-8A N609HZ i= Use the Matronics List Features Navigator to browse

ht=====================

http://forums.matronics.com

http://wiki.matro========================


- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List

_________________
Bill Settle
RV-8 Fuselage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rwstracy(at)gmail.com
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Matt's repair Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Bill, just what I needed.

As Matt noted, the RV-8 gear will take even hard landing loads but not straight up vertical loads. My damage was almost exactly what Matt's was except my gear leg (same as Matt's) was not bent and I had no wing damage except for the wing tank rib. The wheel pant shattered on impact with the edge of the taxiway and part of it fell off somewhere during my flight around the pattern. I heard it flopping around then stop.
The exciting part was the fuel spraying into the cabin from the damaged tank rib. As a side note, I was glad I had plumbed the fuel line in rubber hose instead of aluminum. It probably would have broken off like the aluminum vent line did and I’d have never made it around to land.
I’m in the process of drilling out skin rivets and exposing the structure and while it’s not going to be a picnic, I’m going to at least give repairing the fuselage a try.
Tracy Crook

On Jul 30, 2018, at 05:53, Bill Settle <billsettle(at)bellsouth.net (billsettle(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Tracy,
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Matt wound up replacing his fuselage. Not a small nor inexpensive endeavor.
Details can be found here....
http://www.mattsrv8.com/users/category.php?user=MattsRV8&project=2273&category=9041

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Bill Settle



"Experience and common sense cannot be replaced with policy and procedures."

- R.L. Nuckolls III

From: Tracy Crook <rwstracy(at)gmail.com (rwstracy(at)gmail.com)>
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com (rv8-list(at)matronics.com)
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2018 2:25 PM
Subject: Re: Matt's repair


--> RV8-List message posted by: Tracy Crook <rwstracy(at)gmail.com (rwstracy(at)gmail.com)>

I recently had an incident on takeoff (strong gust forced me off side of runway) and left gear attach point was forced up into the fuselage when it hit the edge of an intersecting taxiway. It caused the exact same airframe damage that Matt had on his RV-8 in landing incident.

I never heard how the repair went or if it was successful and how hard was the repair job. I’d love to hear something from Matt or others on how it went.

Tracy Crook

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
> On Jun 26, 2018, at 11:57, Brian Huffaker <bifft(at)xmission.com (bifft(at)xmission.com)> wrote:

Quote:
>








- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Back to top
gengrumpy



Joined: 07 May 2013
Posts: 131
Location: Tullahoma, TN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Matt's repair Reply with quote

Tracy,
Please post some pictures for us when you can.

grumpy
N82W (in the paint shop now!)
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2018, at 1:43 PM, Tracy Crook <rwstracy(at)gmail.com (rwstracy(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Thanks for the link Bill, just what I needed.
As Matt noted, the RV-8 gear will take even hard landing loads but not straight up vertical loads. My damage was almost exactly what Matt's was except my gear leg (same as Matt's) was not bent and I had no wing damage except for the wing tank rib. The wheel pant shattered on impact with the edge of the taxiway and part of it fell off somewhere during my flight around the pattern. I heard it flopping around then stop.

The exciting part was the fuel spraying into the cabin from the damaged tank rib. As a side note, I was glad I had plumbed the fuel line in rubber hose instead of aluminum. It probably would have broken off like the aluminum vent line did and I’d have never made it around to land.

I’m in the process of drilling out skin rivets and exposing the structure and while it’s not going to be a picnic, I’m going to at least give repairing the fuselage a try.

Tracy Crook
On Jul 30, 2018, at 05:53, Bill Settle <billsettle(at)bellsouth.net (billsettle(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Tracy,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Matt wound up replacing his fuselage. Not a small nor inexpensive endeavor.

Details can be found here....

http://www.mattsrv8.com/users/category.php?user=MattsRV8&project=2273&category=9041

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Bill Settle


"Experience and common sense cannot be replaced with policy and procedures." - R.L. Nuckolls III

From: Tracy Crook <rwstracy(at)gmail.com (rwstracy(at)gmail.com)> To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com (rv8-list(at)matronics.com) Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2018 2:25 PM Subject: Re: Matt's repair
--> RV8-List message posted by: Tracy Crook <rwstracy(at)gmail.com (rwstracy(at)gmail.com)>

I recently had an incident on takeoff (strong gust forced me off side of runway) and left gear attach point was forced up into the fuselage when it hit the edge of an intersecting taxiway. It caused the exact same airframe damage that Matt had on his RV-8 in landing incident.

I never heard how the repair went or if it was successful and how hard was the repair job. I’d love to hear something from Matt or others on how it went.

Tracy Crook

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
> On Jun 26, 2018, at 11:57, Brian Huffaker <bifft(at)xmission.com (bifft(at)xmission.com)> wrote:
>







- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group