Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TR$ Jack Options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike(at)vision499.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: TR$ Jack Options Reply with quote

Does anybody have a clever idea that will make it easy to jack up and support a TR4 to remove and work on the wheels and brakes etc.

I often think I should have made provision for an eyebolt to be screwed into the top of the wing near the wing positioning bolt and then you could just lift it with an engine hoist.

I’m crawling underneath the fuselage and cannot see a convenient jacking and support point.

My neighbor who has an RV has a clever “goodie” that fits into the axle, I will have a closer look at that and see if I can make something similar.

Thanks

Mike

Mike Pienaar
mike(at)vision499.com (ike(at)vision499.com)
Home: +1 250-999-8121
Mike cell: +1 250-885-0554
1-1100 Tulip Ave, Victoria, BC, V8Z 0A2

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
GalinHdz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: TR$ Jack Options Reply with quote

FWIW: I bought a small "low profile" hydraulic 2 ton floor jack. I chock the other wheels so the airplane doesn't shift. I carefully slide the jack under the landing gear metal part far enough so I can lift it up. Once high enough, I slide a slightly modified portable saw horse with a thick movers blanket under the wing then slowly lower the airplane on the sawhorse. Now I can take the floor jack out and work on the tire without fear of it falling off the floor jack. When done, I reverse the process. It works very well and one person can do it easily.

I have attached photos of the floor jack and the saw horse so you have an idea of what I am talking about. I am actually undergoing the annual condition inspection and will be re-packing the airplane main tire bearings today. I will take pictures of the process and post them here.

On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 9:46 PM, <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Does anybody have a clever idea that will make it easy to jack up and support a TR4 to remove and work on the wheels and brakes etc.

I often think I should have made provision for an eyebolt to be screwed into the top of the wing near the wing positioning bolt and then you could just lift it with an engine hoist.

I’m crawling underneath the fuselage and cannot see a convenient jacking and support point.

My neighbor who has an RV has a clever “goodie” that fits into the axle, I will have a closer look at that and see if I can make something similar.

Thanks

Mike

Mike Pienaar
mike(at)vision499.com (ike(at)vision499.com)[u][/u]

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_785057707629846006_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Saw_Horse.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  184.32 KB
 Viewed:  4549 Time(s)

Saw_Horse.jpg

FLoor_jack.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.1 KB
 Viewed:  4549 Time(s)

FLoor_jack.jpeg

mike(at)vision499.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: TR$ Jack Options Reply with quote

Thanks you very much Galin,

I was concerned about damaging the brake and wheel if I tried to jack it on the bottom of the landing gear and would not have thought of resting it on the wing. Thanks for your help

Mike

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Galin Hernandez
Sent: June 4, 2018 6:25 AM
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: TR$ Jack Options

FWIW: I bought a small "low profile" hydraulic 2 ton floor jack. I chock the other wheels so the airplane doesn't shift. I carefully slide the jack under the landing gear metal part far enough so I can lift it up. Once high enough, I slide a slightly modified portable saw horse with a thick movers blanket under the wing then slowly lower the airplane on the sawhorse. Now I can take the floor jack out and work on the tire without fear of it falling off the floor jack. When done, I reverse the process. It works very well and one person can do it easily.

I have attached photos of the floor jack and the saw horse so you have an idea of what I am talking about. I am actually undergoing the annual condition inspection and will be re-packing the airplane main tire bearings today. I will take pictures of the process and post them here.

On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 9:46 PM, <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Thanks

Mike

Mike Pienaar

Virus-free. www.avast.com

GalinHdz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: TR$ Jack Options Reply with quote

Use a "low profile" floor jack and you won't have any problems.

FWIW I took photos as I jacked the airplane up in order to repack the main wheel bearings today. I used the photos to do a write up of my procedure and have attached it to this e-mail as a ,pdf file. If you have problems downloading it, I also put a copy on the maintenance section of our web page (www.puertoricoflyer.com). I hope it helps others with this.
On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 12:18 PM, <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Thanks you very much Galin,

I was concerned about damaging the brake and wheel if I tried to jack it on the bottom of the landing gear and would not have thought of resting it on the wing. Thanks for your help

Mike

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Galin Hernandez
Sent: June 4, 2018 6:25 AM
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: TR$ Jack Options

Quote:

Thanks

Mike

Mike Pienaar

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Jacking_up_a_KIS4_Wing.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Jacking_up_a_KIS4_Wing.pdf
 Filesize:  1.55 MB
 Downloaded:  335 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: