Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hangar?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hangar? Reply with quote

Bob,
Thanks, I’m going to give it a try to extend my network from the house to the shop out back. I’d like to extend it to my hangar but it’s 15 miles away and, for sure, not on my breaker box. But if I can get my network out to my shop, I’ll be a happy camper.

Blue skies & tailwinds,Bob BorgerEuropa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (100 hrs).Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP, Hercules Prop.3705 Lynchburg Dr.Corinth, TX 76208-5331Cel: 817-992-1117rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)On May 25, 2018, at 9:06 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
My steel hangar is about 50 feet away and there is cement and asphalt over the ground between the house and the hangar so to dig down and install a CAT 5 cable run out to the hangar is not a fun option. Are there any WIFI extender options available to get WIFI out to the hangar?
I presume you have AC power in the hangar. I'm also hoping that the feeder comes off a breaker in your house. If so, you might consider a product like this: https://goo.gl/srUq55 Asoka is not the only supplier of such devices. These are power line connected cat5 transceivers. Put one in the house with a jumper to your router and the second in the hangar. I've been using these things around here for several years . . . saved me a lot of time/effort stringing wire. I've got a couple of surplus devices I could send you to experiment with. But if your hangar doesn't get ac power from the house distribution panel . . . all bets are off.
Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hangar? Reply with quote

Bob,
WOW, that was easy!

I now have extended our home network to my shop using a pair of those Asoka PlugLink 9650s. Plugged one into a power socket and connected it via ethernet cable to my Airport Extreme. Plugged the other into the wall in my shop and connected it via ethernet cable to an Airport Express. Opened the Airport Utility on my MacBook Air and told it the Airport Express was an extension of the home net and it was. Whole thing didn’t take more than 2 minutes. Very Cool indeed!

Thanks muchly for this non-aviation but powerful tip.

This should work a treat for the guy who wants to go 50 feet to his hangar.

Blue skies & tailwinds,Bob BorgerEuropa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (130 hrs).Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP, Hercules Prop.3705 Lynchburg Dr.Corinth, TX 76208-5331Cel: 817-992-1117rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)

On May 25, 2018, at 9:06 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
My steel hangar is about 50 feet away and there is cement and asphalt over the ground between the house and the hangar so to dig down and install a CAT 5 cable run out to the hangar is not a fun option. Are there any WIFI extender options available to get WIFI out to the hangar?
I presume you have AC power in the hangar. I'm also hoping that the feeder comes off a breaker in your house. If so, you might consider a product like this: https://goo.gl/srUq55 Asoka is not the only supplier of such devices. These are power line connected cat5 transceivers. Put one in the house with a jumper to your router and the second in the hangar. I've been using these things around here for several years . . . saved me a lot of time/effort stringing wire. I've got a couple of surplus devices I could send you to experiment with. But if your hangar doesn't get ac power from the house distribution panel . . . all bets are off.
Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hangar? Reply with quote

I installed the Netgear 1010 units and was equally happy with the results.

Our solar system has a similar “powerline” adapter that was just delivered and I need to plug it in…just curious is two of these adapters connected to the same power system would screw with each others communication.  I will install the SunPower adapter and report back…IF…it does not get cyber smoked?!?!?

Cheers!!!

Bill  Hunter

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robert Borger
Sent: Monday, June 4, 2018 11:52 AM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hangar???

Bob,

WOW, that was easy!

I now have extended our home network to my shop using a pair of those Asoka PlugLink 9650s. Plugged one into a power socket and connected it via ethernet cable to my Airport Extreme. Plugged the other into the wall in my shop and connected it via ethernet cable to an Airport Express. Opened the Airport Utility on my MacBook Air and told it the Airport Express was an extension of the home net and it was. Whole thing didn’t take more than 2 minutes. Very Cool indeed!

Thanks muchly for this non-aviation but powerful tip.

This should work a treat for the guy who wants to go 50 feet to his hangar.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (130 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP, Hercules Prop.
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)

On May 25, 2018, at 9:06 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:

My steel hangar is about 50 feet away and there is cement and asphalt over the ground between the house and the hangar so to dig down and install a CAT 5 cable run out to the hangar is not a fun option.

Are there any WIFI extender options available to get WIFI out to the hangar?

I presume you have AC power in the hangar. I'm also
hoping that the feeder comes off a breaker in your
house. If so, you might consider a product like
this:

https://goo.gl/srUq55

Asoka is not the only supplier of such devices.
These are power line connected cat5 transceivers.
Put one in the house with a jumper to your
router and the second in the hangar.

I've been using these things around here
for several years . . . saved me a lot
of time/effort stringing wire. I've got
a couple of surplus devices I could
send you to experiment with.

But if your hangar doesn't get ac power from
the house distribution panel . . . all bets
are off.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: