Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EGT issues hwo to troubleshoot best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
werner schneider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: EGT issues hwo to troubleshoot best Reply with quote

Hi there, I changed a few years ago from a Rocky Mountain engine monitor with selector switch to a Dynon EMS 10 engine monitor. The probes from the RM monitor have long leads back into the cockpit and a braided steel cover around the wires. The wires are crimped to D-sub pins and end in a DB25 plug. due the braided steel covers all is a bit tight at the d-sub plug. I had an erratic CHT at the begin but a reseat in the plug solved that mystery. But I had from the begin EGT4 acting up below 200 deg F it has very little differences from the 3 others (see pictures) but above the curve flatens significantly.

After all the years living with that error and trying with icebath, boiling water etc to no avail I would like to dig a bit deeper.

Does anybody have a good plan how to tackle this as the error shows up only on a running engine.

At 2 mins you see the runup, the departure is at about 9 minutes.

Many thanks for your ideas, due to the difficult access to the d-sup pins it is pretty difficult to swap 2 probes in the plug.

Cheers Werner

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

EGT.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.14 KB
 Viewed:  2552 Time(s)

EGT.JPG

CHT.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.24 KB
 Viewed:  2552 Time(s)

CHT.JPG

cskelt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: EGT issues hwo to troubleshoot best Reply with quote

Werner,
It's not clear if you're using Dynon sensors although other brands should be compatible if they're the same standard.

I has a similar problem with my EMS-D10 five years ago when I first started the engine. This was already a few years since installation. The EGTs read accurate ambient temperature but settled about 530 F during the runup. Unlike your case I saw low temperature on all cylinders. After discussing with Dynon I sent it back and it turned out to be an internal hardware problem that they fixed. No problems during the subsequent 300 hours of operation. It's not troubleshooting, but calling Dynon worked for me.

Regards,
Chris.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

werner schneider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: EGT issues hwo to troubleshoot best Reply with quote

Thanks Chris.

No this are the sensors from my Rocky Mountain engine monitor, all the
rest is working fine just EGT4 is to low and the temperature is also all
the time fluctuating up and down where all the others are stable.

Cheers Werner

On 08.06.2021 14:16, cskelt wrote:
Quote:

Werner,
It's not clear if you're using Dynon sensors although other brands should be compatible if they're the same standard.

I has a similar problem with my EMS-D10 five years ago when I first started the engine. This was already a few years since installation. The EGTs read accurate ambient temperature but settled about 530 F during the runup. Unlike your case I saw low temperature on all cylinders. After discussing with Dynon I sent it back and it turned out to be an internal hardware problem that they fixed. No problems during the subsequent 300 hours of operation. It's not troubleshooting, but calling Dynon worked for me.

Regards,
Chris.

--------
Chris Skelt
Lancair 320 N1990L at KIWS

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=502288#502288

cskelt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: EGT issues hwo to troubleshoot best Reply with quote

Werner,
Here's an example of an EGT probe failure. The duration of the flight is about 28 minutes.

The tip was badly eroded and the problem fixed by replacing the offending article. Shortly afterwards two more failed so I replaced the remaining three and it's all been good since. They lasted about 280 hours.

Other than the failure, all the EGT and CHT behavior correlates with manifold pressure, mixture etc. and EGTs are more stable than yours. Note that after the failure EGT 2 went back in line with the other probes when the power setting was reduced for descent to destination.

Your EGT 4 has some of the characteristics of the others, although the response is attenuated. I would argue that none of your EGTs are as stable as they should be, and EGT 4 is uniquely pathological. Can you make a plot showing correspondence between EGT and CHT, and add some engine parameters like manifold pressure, fuel flow etc. as these should all tie together.

Regards,
Chris.

EGT_Probe_Failure.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  512.14 KB
 Viewed:  2486 Time(s)

EGT_Probe_Failure.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: