Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evolution of Wire (Correction)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Evolution of Wire (Correction) Reply with quote

Quote:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . The 22759 wire
was export controlled so we were leaning toward
Spec 55 when Lear negotiated the export license
and Teflon became the insulation of choice.

Correction. TEFZEL. We looked at Teflon
but not very hard. Excellent temperature ratings
but very expensive. Teflon extruded onto
the strands at such high temperatures that
you had to have silver plated strands.
Further, Teflon was softer and would cold-flow
under the pressure a too tight a cable tie.

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
kenryan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Evolution of Wire (Correction) Reply with quote

Why is some Tefzel wire super stiff (like that purchased from Aircraft Spruce) while other Tefzel wire is much more flexible (like that purchased from Stein Air)?

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 8:25 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Correction. TEFZEL.  We looked at Teflon

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Evolution of Wire (Correction) Reply with quote

Are the numbers printed on the wire *exactly* the same? If memory serves, many months ago I was trolling ebay for deals on milspec wire & in the process, found various numbers that all were Tefzel insulation, but some had thicker insulation (larger overall diameter) than others of the same gauge. I wish I could quote the numbers, but I failed to document what I found.

Charlie
On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Ken Ryan <keninalaska(at)gmail.com (keninalaska(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Why is some Tefzel wire super stiff (like that purchased from Aircraft Spruce) while other Tefzel wire is much more flexible (like that purchased from Stein Air)?

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 8:25 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bob . . .

kenryan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Evolution of Wire (Correction) Reply with quote

M22759/16 -- some I have bought (white) is very stiff while other (colors) is noticeably more flexible.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 7:41 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Are the numbers printed on the wire *exactly* the same? If memory serves, many months ago I was trolling ebay for deals on milspec wire & in the process, found various numbers that all were Tefzel insulation, but some had thicker insulation (larger overall diameter) than others of the same gauge. I wish I could quote the numbers, but I failed to document what I found.

Charlie
On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Ken Ryan <keninalaska(at)gmail.com (keninalaska(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Bob . . .

alec(at)alecmyers.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Evolution of Wire (Correction) Reply with quote

22759/18 is like /16 but “thin wall”, if I recall.

On Apr 29, 2018, at 11:41, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Charlie
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Correction. TEFZEL. We looked at Teflon

Bob . . .

kjashton(at)vnet.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Evolution of Wire (Correction) Reply with quote

Here is a handy chart of wire species. You can google the coating abbreviations or the part numbers for more info
-Kent

Quote:
On Apr 29, 2018, at 11:41 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Are the numbers printed on the wire *exactly* the same?

Wire16878-22759.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Wire16878-22759.pdf
 Filesize:  66.38 KB
 Downloaded:  564 Time(s)

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Evolution of Wire (Correction) Reply with quote

At 11:42 AM 4/29/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
M22759/16 -- some I have bought (white) is very stiff while other (colors) is noticeably more flexible.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 7:41 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote: Are the numbers printed on the wire *exactly* the same? If memory serves, many months ago I was trolling ebay for deals on milspec wire & in the process, found various numbers that all were Tefzel insulation, but some had thicker insulation (larger overall diameter) than others of the same gauge. I wish I could quote the numbers, but I failed to document what I found.

there is a catalog at: https://goo.gl/ZfNq9T

In this document, you will find that 22759 has
about 90+ 'slash' numbers that define variations
on the theme for this class of wire.

There are other mil-spec numbers describing
wire that is entirely suited to our tasks.

I am mystified that products in a particular
/number would demonstrate significant variations . . .
unless the variations are a feature not defined
in the root specification . . . flexibility may
indeed be one. But materials, construction and
dimensions should be consistent to the catalog
description.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: