Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

diy tablet efi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cardinalnsb(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: diy tablet efi Reply with quote

Althought I was the first in town to have and build a pc, I am sadly out of touch with current technology. I have been reading the automotive boards, people are putting in mini computer systems with a tablet monitor and running everything, even the electric seats. So my question here, has anyone any information on putting together an inexpensive tablet based system for experimentals? I just bought a 10 inch from Walmart for $60, runs android, wifi, bluetooth.

I would think it could display a gps, engine instruments, Stormy Daniels, and other stuff cheaply.

Cell technology tablets aren't much more, that would keep it connected at all times? Can you get cheap weather radar on your cell phone?

Yes, hopelessly out of date.

Thoughts?

Skip
cardinalnsb(at)aol.com

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
csmale(at)bak.rr.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: diy tablet efi Reply with quote

look at speeduino. do a google search    csmale(at)bak.rr.com (csmale(at)bak.rr.com)

On 03/08/2018 08:34 AM, Skip wrote:

Quote:
Althought I was the first in town to have and build a pc, I am sadly out of touch with current technology.  I have been reading the automotive boards, people are putting in mini computer systems with a tablet monitor and running everything, even the electric seats.  So my question here, has anyone any information on putting together an inexpensive tablet based system for experimentals?  I just bought a 10 inch from Walmart for $60, runs android, wifi, bluetooth.

I would think it could display a gps, engine instruments, Stormy Daniels, and other stuff cheaply.

Cell technology tablets aren't much more, that would keep it connected at all times?  Can you get cheap weather radar on your cell phone?

Thoughts?

Skip
cardinalnsb(at)aol.com (cardinalnsb(at)aol.com)

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: diy tablet efi Reply with quote

Look on the google PlayStore for Avare.
It's free and open source. There is a software control radio module you can get for about $20, that will allow you to get ADSB-IN. I have used it, and I works well.

On Thursday, March 8, 2018 12:58 PM, chris <csmale(at)bak.rr.com> wrote:

look at speeduino. do a google search csmale(at)bak.rr.com (csmale(at)bak.rr.com)

Quote:
Althought I was the first in town to have and build a pc, I am sadly out of touch with current technology. I have been reading the automotive boards, people are putting in mini computer systems with a tablet monitor and running everything, even the electric seats. So my question here, has anyone any information on putting together an inexpensive tablet based system for experimentals? I just bought a 10 inch from Walmart for $60, runs android, wifi, bluetooth.

Cell technology tablets aren't much more, that would keep it connected at all times? Can you get cheap weather radar on your cell phone?

Thoughts?

Skip

ashtonb(at)ared.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: diy tablet efi Reply with quote

I would start by splitting your learning into two groups: navigation and ECU/engine monitoring.

These tips and links should get you started on the ECU for aircraft. They are from an engine manufacturer. I am just learning myself so I can’t help you beyond what has been passed on to me:

Use microsquirt, not megasquirt
Don’t use d sub connectors
Go with AMP seal connector
Ultra version has the AMP seal connector stock
#1 failure is the connector
Use single board ECU’s as Piggy back boards make more connectors and so more points of failure
They all use the same processor and firmware

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/
https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/other/displays-data/
http://www.msdroid.com/
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/Megasquirt_Serial_Protocol-2014-10-28.pdf
http://www.tunerstudio.com/index.php/tuner-studio
http://www.microsquirt.com/
http://megasquirt.info/products/pro-controllers/microsquirt/

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Ernest Christley
Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:06 AM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: diy tablet efi

Look on the google PlayStore for Avare.

It's free and open source. There is a software control radio module you can get for about $20, that will allow you to get ADSB-IN. I have used it, and I works well.

On Thursday, March 8, 2018 12:58 PM, chris <csmale(at)bak.rr.com (csmale(at)bak.rr.com)> wrote:

look at speeduino. do a google search csmale(at)bak.rr.com (csmale(at)bak.rr.com)

Quote:

Thoughts?

Skip

wrmaxwell(at)bigpond.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: diy tablet efi Reply with quote

There are a few projects that I have come across on the net, Skip althoughI can't find any links at the the moment. One problem with the pad based approach though is the visibility of the TFT screen in bright sunlight. The tablets using oled (also known as amoled) TFT s displays are the best in this regard but not many manufacturers are using them. Samsung were a couple of years ago but even they seem to have now followed the general market trend and discontinued them.

On 9/03/2018 3:34 AM, Skip wrote:

Quote:
Althought I was the first in town to have and build a pc, I am sadly out of touch with current technology.  I have been reading the automotive boards, people are putting in mini computer systems with a tablet monitor and running everything, even the electric seats.  So my question here, has anyone any information on putting together an inexpensive tablet based system for experimentals?  I just bought a 10 inch from Walmart for $60, runs android, wifi, bluetooth.

Cell technology tablets aren't much more, that would keep it connected at all times?  Can you get cheap weather radar on your cell phone?

Thoughts?

Skip

echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: diy tablet efi Reply with quote

I spent quite a bit of time last year using a Android tablet and a Android phone (Samsung 5) for navigation. Granted, my canopy is tinted, but I never had an issue with the sun being to bright to use them.

On Thursday, March 8, 2018 4:18 PM, Bill Maxwell <wrmaxwell(at)bigpond.com> wrote:

There are a few projects that I have come across on the net, Skip althoughI can't find any links at the the moment. One problem with the pad based approach though is the visibility of the TFT screen in bright sunlight. The tablets using oled (also known as amoled) TFT s displays are the best in this regard but not many manufacturers are using them. Samsung were a couple of years ago but even they seem to have now followed the general market trend and discontinued them.

Quote:

Thoughts?

Skip

andymeyer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: diy tablet efi Reply with quote

Skip,

I'm working on an Arduino based system that will put everything up on one or two 2.8" touch screens - I am squeezing this into a Long EZ so space is a premium. It'll replace my tach and EOP/EOT gauges as far as location.

It'll do full engine monitoring (put some of the commercial systems to shame), air data, economy and performance, and a handful of other things while I'm at it. I'm a bit of an engine geek and learning the electronics side of it.

If you'd like to learn more, I'm more than willing to share what I'm doing...

Andy
meyerf16
gmail...

wrmaxwell(at)bigpond.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: diy tablet efi Reply with quote

I think the Samsung 5 phone has the better amoled screen. What screen type does your tablet have?

On 9/03/2018 2:24 PM, Ernest Christley wrote:

Quote:
I spent quite a bit of time last year using a Android tablet and a Android phone (Samsung 5) for navigation.  Granted, my canopy is tinted, but I never had an issue with the sun being to bright to use them.

On Thursday, March 8, 2018 4:18 PM, Bill Maxwell <wrmaxwell(at)bigpond.com> (wrmaxwell(at)bigpond.com) wrote:

Quote:

Thoughts?

Skip

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: diy tablet efi Reply with quote

If you need to keep it cheap, both the old Nexus 7 models have very bright, hi res screens. Cheap if bought used on ebay. Avare & that SDR ADSB receiver work great on them.
Charlie
On Mar 9, 2018, at 4:48 PM, Bill Maxwell <wrmaxwell(at)bigpond.com (wrmaxwell(at)bigpond.com)> wrote:
Quote:

I think the Samsung 5 phone has the better amoled screen. What screen type does your tablet have?

Quote:
I spent quite a bit of time last year using a Android tablet and a Android phone (Samsung 5) for navigation. Granted, my canopy is tinted, but I never had an issue with the sun being to bright to use them.

On Thursday, March 8, 2018 4:18 PM, Bill Maxwell <wrmaxwell(at)bigpond.com> (wrmaxwell(at)bigpond.com) wrote:

Quote:

Thoughts?

Skip

harleydixon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: diy tablet efi Reply with quote

I have to agree with what Charlie suggested!  It is EXACTLY the combination that I have for my Long EZ!  Have also used the Nexus with Google Maps to guide me and my truck for long trips on the ground both here in the east and in the southern deserts of Arizona. Very happy with it. And very visible in bright daylight.

Additionally, Avare can be set up to "fly" at home by reading GPS data from the X-Plane simulator (to do that, you have to install an Avare plug-in app that reads X-Plane and sends the data via Wi-Fi to Avare).  During these cold winter months, I've successfully made 12 hour cross country flights with my simulated Long EZ while sitting right here next to my computer!

Harley Dixon
Long EZ N28EZ
Canandaigua, NY

On 3/9/2018 8:47 PM, Charlie England wrote:

Quote:
If you need to keep it cheap, both the old Nexus 7 models  have very bright, hi res screens. Cheap if bought used on ebay. Avare & that SDR ADSB receiver work great on them.

Charlie
On Mar 9, 2018, at 4:48 PM, Bill Maxwell <wrmaxwell(at)bigpond.com (wrmaxwell(at)bigpond.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
I spent quite a bit of time last year using a Android tablet and a Android phone (Samsung 5) for navigation.  Granted, my canopy is tinted, but I never had an issue with the sun being to bright to use them.

Quote:

Thoughts?

Skip

Long EZ N28EZ
Canandaigua Airport (D38)
Canandaigua, NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: