Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Flight!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: First Flight!!! Reply with quote

Hey everybody, I did my first flight today!
Thanks everybody for all of your patience and question-answering you've helped me with over the last couple years!  To clamp the headset onto your head, strap your airplane to your butt, turn on the avionics and see all of these fancy colors and the little cute girl who talks to you is really cool! Major dopamine rush!!! 
No smoke was let out of the wires so I was pretty happy. A couple of avionics tuning issues but so far most of the stuff is working good... except.. one little thing
I have an SD- 20 alternator that is controlled by a LR3C-14 voltage regulator.  It had been working perfectly for numerous ground engine run-ups idling Etc and then all of a sudden during the first flight it stopped producing power. 

Naturally I checked the voltage regulator sense and field circuit breakers and they were not popped but I did pull and reset them however that did not fix the problem. 
Since I have two Independent Electrical systems I tied the two buses and pressed on for my 1 hour and 35 minute flight. 
Back on the ground I thought that since both systems are controlled by the LR3C-14 voltage regulator I swapped the voltage regulator from the good side to the offending side and the SD-20 alternator started producing power again.  
Since the other electrical system voltage regulator was not wired up (it was being used to control the little SD-20) I tied the bus and loaded up the electrical system and the little alternator produced 17 amps.  
So I assumed it was the voltage regulator that was bad. 
I then rewired up both systems as they are supposed to be wired up and started the engine again and both voltage regulators are working fine... 
Is there some kind of a reason why the little alternator would decide to stop producing? 
It never produced more than about 8 amps the whole flight so it's doubtful it was overloaded.
During flight my safety scheme is to keep the two busses isolated and since the bust I was open I could tell that the ampere reading on that side was low and the voltage on that bus also began to drop so it was not just the indicator that was the problem. 
Any advice??? 

Thanks, 

Bill Hunter

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

IMG_20180204_174020.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.93 MB
 Viewed:  1770 Time(s)

IMG_20180204_174020.jpg

bob.verwey(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: First Flight!!! Reply with quote

Welcome to the exclusive club,  Bill!

On 05 Feb 2018 4:08 AM, "William Hunter" <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everybody for all of your patience and question-answering you've helped me with over the last couple years!  To clamp the headset onto your head, strap your airplane to your butt, turn on the avionics and see all of these fancy colors and the little cute girl who talks to you is really cool! Major dopamine rush!!! 
No smoke was let out of the wires so I was pretty happy. A couple of avionics tuning issues but so far most of the stuff is working good... except.. one little thing
I have an SD- 20 alternator that is controlled by a LR3C-14 voltage regulator.  It had been working perfectly for numerous ground engine run-ups idling Etc and then all of a sudden during the first flight it stopped producing power. 

Naturally I checked the voltage regulator sense and field circuit breakers and they were not popped but I did pull and reset them however that did not fix the problem. 
Since I have two Independent Electrical systems I tied the two buses and pressed on for my 1 hour and 35 minute flight. 
Back on the ground I thought that since both systems are controlled by the LR3C-14 voltage regulator I swapped the voltage regulator from the good side to the offending side and the SD-20 alternator started producing power again.  
Since the other electrical system voltage regulator was not wired up (it was being used to control the little SD-20) I tied the bus and loaded up the electrical system and the little alternator produced 17 amps.  
I then rewired up both systems as they are supposed to be wired up and started the engine again and both voltage regulators are working fine... 
Is there some kind of a reason why the little alternator would decide to stop producing? 
It never produced more than about 8 amps the whole flight so it's doubtful it was overloaded.
During flight my safety scheme is to keep the two busses isolated and since the bust I was open I could tell that the ampere reading on that side was low and the voltage on that bus also began to drop so it was not just the indicator that was the problem. 
Any advice??? 

Thanks, 

Bill Hunter

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: First Flight!!! Reply with quote

Actually... I should have written the subject line as "First Re-Flight"...spell check took over... 

This was a flying airplane that I completely tore apart and rebuilt so I am not completely in that "exclusive club" ... more like the "excusive club" 

But hey... it is still an accomplishment that I am happy about... if this SD-20 will put out some juice... reliably. 
Thanks,

Bill Hunter

On Feb 4, 2018 8:01 PM, "Bob Verwey" <bob.verwey(at)gmail.com (bob.verwey(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Welcome to the exclusive club,  Bill!

On 05 Feb 2018 4:08 AM, "William Hunter" <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Any advice??? 

Thanks, 

Bill Hunter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: