Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SD-8 Alternator Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron228rj(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: SD-8 Alternator Question Reply with quote

When I bought my plane, which has an SD-8 alternator as the primary power source, it came with an inline fuse on one of the two leads from the alternator.

The guy who installed it said it was an 8 amp alternator so he added a 10 amp inline fuse. But, I believe it provides 8 amps at 14 volts after regulation and the voltage where the fuse is installed is something like 20-25 volts AC. So, the max current there would probably be a bit less than 8 amps anyway, right?
Regardless, it has never blown, but I am wondering if it is even serving a useful purpose other than to increase the number of electrical connections in my plane?
Thanks,
Ron

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: SD-8 Alternator Question Reply with quote

My chief engineer here at work always says the fuse is there to protect the wire….keeps the smoke in……not the equipment at the end.

I have the same setup on my standby and I think that is what they gave me in the kit.

Rene'
801-721-6080

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Ron Springer
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 2:37 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: SD-8 Alternator Question

When I bought my plane, which has an SD-8 alternator as the primary power source, it came with an inline fuse on one of the two leads from the alternator.

The guy who installed it said it was an 8 amp alternator so he added a 10 amp inline fuse. But, I believe it provides 8 amps at 14 volts after regulation and the voltage where the fuse is installed is something like 20-25 volts AC. So, the max current there would probably be a bit less than 8 amps anyway, right?

Regardless, it has never blown, but I am wondering if it is even serving a useful purpose other than to increase the number of electrical connections in my plane?

Thanks,

Ron

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Peter(at)sportingaero.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: SD-8 Alternator Question Reply with quote

See this wiring diagram – shows a 15 amp fuse.

http://www.bandc.aero/pdfs/504-500%20REV%20I.pdf

Peter

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Ron Springer
Sent: 23 January 2018 21:37

Thanks,

Ron

ron228rj(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: SD-8 Alternator Question Reply with quote

Thanks! I didn't know that it was standard to include the fuse in one of the wires. The person I bought the plane from made it sound like it was his idea. The 10 amp size seems to work fine for the SD-8. The wiring diagram applies to three alternators, including ones that are larger than the SD-8, which is probably why it calls for the 15 amp fuse.
Ron

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 5:43 PM, Peter Pengilly <Peter(at)sportingaero.com (Peter(at)sportingaero.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Peter

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Ron Springer
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)

Thanks,

Ron

ashleysc(at)broadstripe.n

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: SD-8 Alternator Question Reply with quote

Hi Peter;

Hi Ron;
The drawing shows a ten amp fuse for an SD-8 alternator.
Cheers! Stu.
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 2:43:56 PM
Subject: RE: SD-8 Alternator Question

Peter

Thanks,

Ron

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: SD-8 Alternator Question Reply with quote

At 03:37 PM 1/23/2018, you wrote:
Quote:

The SD-8, under some conditions, is capable of 10A
of output. A fuse should be sized for at least 1.5
times the expected continuous load . . . 2x or
3x is not unreasonable giving the very fast action
of a fuse versus circuit breaker.

If the SD-8 feeder is 14AWG or larger, a 20A
fuse is the better choice . . . 30A would not
be out of line.

Bob . . .

Airdog77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: SD-8 Alternator Question Reply with quote

Bob,

I believe you're referring to the fuse on the main connection to the battery contactor from the S704-1 relay?

And Stu is referring to the SD-8 connection to the power bus, not the inline fuse depicted on one of the two alternator leads shown on the B&C diagram.

I too have questions on whether this 15A fuse should be included, but figured since Bob depicts it twice without it --both in the Z-13/8 and Z-25 diagrams that include a bridge rectifier (that B&C doesn't) for self excitation-- then it wasn't required.

Bob, can you confirm whether the 15A fuse at the actual SD-8 alternator feed is required or not if the self-excitation feature is employed?

Regards,
Wade

www.longezpush.com
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: SD-8 Alternator Question Reply with quote

At 09:06 AM 1/24/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Airdog77" <Airdog77(at)gmail.com>

Bob,

I believe you're referring to the fuse on the main connection to the battery contactor from the S704-1 relay?

And Stu is referring to the SD-8 connection to the power bus, not the inline fuse depicted on one of the two alternator leads shown on the B&C diagram.

I too have questions on whether this 15A fuse should be included, but figured since Bob depicts it twice without it --both in the Z-13/8 and Z-25 diagrams that include a bridge rectifier (that B&C doesn't) for self excitation-- then it wasn't required.

Bob, can you confirm whether the 15A fuse at the actual SD-8 alternator feed is required or not if the self excitation feature is employed?

Good eye! I'd forgotten about that fuse being
added some years ago. It's a good idea. One of
the failure modes for the rectifier/regulator
places a dead short on the SD-8 output. The fuse
keeps the dynamo from smoking. The RMS current
flowing out of the dynamo is about the same as
the DC output current from the rectifier/regulator.

This is a duty-cycle switched series regulator
with no energy-storage . . .

Bob . . .

Airdog77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: SD-8 Alternator Question Reply with quote

Bob,

Thanks for confirming that fuse should be installed. I literally just bolted my SD-8 to the vacuum pad during my engine build yesterday, so now I'll plan on adding back in that inline fuse.

Ron- Thanks for asking the question.... perfect timing!

Regards,
Wade

www.longezpush.com
ron228rj(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: SD-8 Alternator Question Reply with quote

No problem. Thanks Bob!
Ron

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 9:06 PM, Airdog77 <Airdog77(at)gmail.com (Airdog77(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Airdog77" <Airdog77(at)gmail.com (Airdog77(at)gmail.com)>

Bob,

Thanks for confirming that fuse should be installed.  I literally just bolted my SD-8 to the vacuum pad during my engine build yesterday, so now I'll plan on adding back in that inline fuse.

Ron- Thanks for asking the question.... perfect timing!

Regards,
Wade

--------
Airdog
Wade Parton
Building Long-EZ N916WP
www.longezpush.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: