Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alt. drop out while pulling Gs...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve(at)tomasara.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Alt. drop out while pulling Gs... Reply with quote

Greetings all,

Here's an odd one...  My O235 powered Longeze use a vintage externally regulated 40A Toyota alternator paired with a no-name after-market "Ford-style" regulator. (see attached pic):
I've got it wired in the (Aeroelectric) traditional way with an overvoltage crowbar (visible in the picture) and a 5A breaker on the field winding.  Undervoltage is redundantly apparent via a traditional Westach voltmeter and A Perihilion low-voltage indicator.  All the wiring (which I have yet to re-inspect) has lots of strain-relief, all PIDG connectors etc.
Nonetheless, today I observed that when I pull high positive G's, the alternator drops out (low-voltage light illuminates, voltmeter shows ~12.5 volts or so) but no excess current was observed on load meter (I didn't *specifically* check  it so I might have missed the details here... But it is located adjacent to the voltmeter so I *might* have noticed something odd if present, or I might not have - remember, I was in the middle of pulling Gs...).  I've been flying it, as wired for years but haven't done much pulling Gs before so I don't know if this behavior is new or not...
Of course I'll be double checking connections etc. but I'm wondering if it's possible that the ford-style regulator I installed could be G sensitive?  I can't image it but thought I would ask...
Thanks for any insights!
Steve Stearns
Longeze N45FC
Boulder/Longmont CO

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

IMG_20171029_134820.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  613.03 KB
 Viewed:  3880 Time(s)

IMG_20171029_134820.jpg

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Alt. drop out while pulling Gs... Reply with quote

At 06:52 PM 10/29/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
Greetings all,

Here's an odd one... My O235 powered Longeze use a vintage externally regulated 40A Toyota alternator paired with a no-name after-market "Ford-style" regulator. (see attached pic):

I've got it wired in the (Aeroelectric) traditional way with an overvoltage crowbar (visible in the picture) and a 5A breaker on the field winding. Undervoltage is redundantly apparent via a traditional Westach voltmeter and A Perihilion low-voltage indicator. All the wiring (which I have yet to re-inspect) has lots of strain-relief, all PIDG connectors etc.

Nonetheless, today I observed that when I pull high positive G's, the alternator drops out (low-voltage light illuminates, voltmeter shows ~12.5 volts or so) but no excess current was observed on load meter (I didn't *specifically* check it so I might have missed the details here... But it is located adjacent to the voltmeter so I *might* have noticed something odd if present, or I might not have - remember, I was in the middle of pulling Gs...). I've been flying it, as wired for years but haven't done much pulling Gs before so I don't know if this behavior is new or not...

Of course I'll be double checking connections etc. but I'm wondering if it's possible that the ford-style regulator I installed could be G sensitive? I can't image it but thought I would ask...

No, but alternator brushes are. They are held
against a slip ring with springs that don't
want to be too aggressive . . . they're relatively
soft carbon on soft copper.

If you could monitor output voltage from the
regulator's field terminal while duplicating
the event, I suspect you'll see regulator
voltage go UP while alternator output is going
down. I.e. the regulator may be screaming
at an alternator that isn't listening.

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

steve(at)tomasara.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Alt. drop out while pulling Gs... Reply with quote

Quote:
>Of course I'll be double checking connections
>etc. but I'm wondering if it's possible that the
>ford-style regulator I installed could be G
>sensitive?  I can't image it but thought I would ask...

>No, but alternator brushes are. They are held
 >against a slip ring with springs that don't
 >want to be too aggressive . . . they're relatively
 >soft carbon on soft copper.
 >If you could monitor output voltage from the
 >regulator's field terminal...

Didn't expect that...  This sounds like a good excuse for me to buy an inexpensive stand-alone multi-channel data logger.  I assumed there would be many to choose from but a quick look on Amazon didn't turn one up.
Anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks,
Steve Stearns
Longeze N45FC
Boulder/Longmont CO

user9253

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Alt. drop out while pulling Gs... Reply with quote

This sounds like a good excuse to buy an EFIS with a data logger feature built in. Smile

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Alt. drop out while pulling Gs... Reply with quote

Quote:
 >No, but alternator brushes are. They are held
 >against a slip ring with springs that don't
 >want to be too aggressive . . . they're relatively
 >soft carbon on soft copper.

>If you could monitor output voltage from the
 >regulator's field terminal...

Didn't expect that... This sounds like a good excuse for me to buy an inexpensive stand-alone multi-channel data logger. I assumed there would be many to choose from but a quick look on Amazon didn't turn one up.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Lots of products for monitoring temperature
and shipping shocks . . . I've not seen any
that would be very useful to the work we do.

That's what prompted this project a couple
of years ago now 99% ready for beta testing.

Hmmmm . . . Paul and I are putting the final
touches on the OBAM aircraft friendly data
logger I mentioned a few days ago. Maybe
you could be the 'beta test' project.

[img]cid:.0[/img]

[img]cid:.1[/img]

Here's what the proof of concept assembly
looks like. A very rudimentary configuration
would suffice to get a look-see on significant
parameters of your difficulty.

I am going to install one on my pickup truck
and just leave it in place to gather a constellation
of data . . . but no reason we couldn't use
it to get a peek at your airplane.

Bob . . .

n233ee(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Alt. drop out while pulling Gs... Reply with quote

I would like to have a couple of stand alone data loggers. Do not need another ‘display’ or have room for one. Earl

[quote] On Oct 30, 2017, at 12:17 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:

> Â >No, but alternator brushes are. They are held
> Â >against a slip ring with springs that don't
> Â >want to be too aggressive . . . they're relatively
> Â >soft carbon on soft copper.
>
> Â >If you could monitor output voltage from the
> Â >regulator's field terminal...
>
> Didn't expect that... This sounds like a good excuse for me to buy an inexpensive stand-alone multi-channel data logger. I assumed there would be many to choose from but a quick look on Amazon didn't turn one up

steve(at)tomasara.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Alt. drop out while pulling Gs... Reply with quote

Bob said:  Hmmmm . . . Paul and I are putting the final   touches on the OBAM aircraft friendly data   logger I mentioned a few days ago. Maybe   you could be the 'beta test' project.

I was thinking maybe a four channel "Hobo".  Btw,: I get the digest version of the forum so I can not look at attachments...  Nonetheless, I'm available to alpha or beta a new logger.  I hadn't been following that thread so I'll have to go back and read the background.  Consider me an experienced tester as I've done lots of development and have a lab etc.. 
Steve Stearns
Longeze N45FC
Boulder/Longmont CO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: