Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic marker "robustness"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Magic marker "robustness" Reply with quote

At 05:20 AM 8/31/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
Jon,

That's a relief! I am most concerned about the labeling inside the cabin and behind the instrument panel. Forward of the firewall will be very simple in my plane and it won't matter much if the labels fade.

Something I've observed about Sharpie and/or
magic marker inks. I have been using the
6qt 'shoeboxes' by Stearlite as dust tight
materials storage in my shops for several years.

I label the ends of the boxes with yellow vinyl
tape captioned with a Sharpie. The label on the
right is about 10 years old. The drop in letter
density compared to the label on the left is
observable.

[img]cid:.0[/img]

The exposed lettering appears to literally
evaporate. Evaporation rate is probably temperature
and air flow dependent. There might also be effects
of ozone and/or hydrocarbons in the surrounding
air.

I've developed another technique for crafting these
labels. After captioning with the marker, I put a
layer of clear tape over the lettering.

. I'm thinking that the clear overlay will have a
profound effect on the robustness of my shop
labels. For wire labels laid on white heat shrink,
one might consider putting a layer of clear
shrink over the label.

I note too that Sharpies come in a 'permanent'
version which is also available in ultra-fine
points.

http://tinyurl.com/y8rj6t3j

One of these days I'll conduct some experiments
with this marking methodology and I'll hang
some samples under the hoods of my vehicles.

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

135484ae.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  139.68 KB
 Viewed:  8322 Time(s)

135484ae.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Magic marker "robustness" Reply with quote

Quote:
Jon,

That's a relief! I am most concerned about the labeling inside the cabin and behind the instrument panel. Forward of the firewall will be very simple in my plane and it won't matter much if the labels fade.

magic marker inks. I have been using the

observable.

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20170901173210.01f91a90(at)aeroelectric.com.1[/img]

evaporate. Evaporation rate is probably temperature
air.

shrink over the label.

points.

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

40aba7d.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  8312 Time(s)

40aba7d.jpg

Bill Allen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Magic marker "robustness" Reply with quote

My Sharpie story.

Some years ago, I flew my LongEz from the UK to the US and on to Mojave, where I met Burt Rutan and had him sign the fuselage with a sharpie. I was so proud of this that I covered the signature with clear plastic vinyl, to protect it.

Although my Ez is always hangared, the signature nevertheless slowly faded over the years, to the point of invisibility.....
Bill Allen

On 1 September 2017 at 23:32, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Jon,

magic marker inks.  I have been using the

observable.

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20170901173210.01f91a90(at)aeroelectric.com.1[/img]

evaporate.   Evaporation rate is probably temperature
  air.

shrink over the label.

points.

Bob . . .

--
Bill AllenLongEz160 N99BA FD51
CZ4 G-BYLZ EGBJ

40aba7d.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  8312 Time(s)

40aba7d.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Magic marker "robustness" Reply with quote

At 07:15 AM 9/2/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
My Sharpie story.

Some years ago, I flew my LongEz from the UK to the US and on to Mojave, where I met Burt Rutan and had him sign the fuselage with a sharpie. I was so proud of this that I covered the signature with clear plastic vinyl, to protect it.

Although my Ez is always hangared, the signature nevertheless slowly faded over the years, to the point of invisibility.....

Bill Allen

Well fooey . . . on two counts.

Burt is one of my heros. Had an opportunity to
contribute to the Voyager project and was
present at both the roll out and victory
parties. He's an amazing individual . . . as
was his desert skunk werks. Sad to loose
that unique artifact.

So, does the pigment 'bleach' with age? Soak
into the surface? As I mentioned earlier, there
are two versions of the Sharpie, one claiming
to be 'permanent'.

Guess we don't yet understand the nature of
the impermanence. I poked around on the 'net
and ran across some reviews of this product
with respect to permanence . . . ordered
some to play with . . .

http://tinyurl.com/yc3r8zpz

Bob . . .

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Magic marker "robustness" Reply with quote

On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 5:39 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
At 07:15 AM 9/2/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
My Sharpie story.

Bill Allen

Well fooey . . . on two counts.

Burt is one of my heros. Had an opportunity to
  contribute to the Voyager project and was
  present at both the roll out and victory
  parties. He's an amazing individual . . . as
  was his desert skunk werks. Sad to loose
  that unique artifact.

So, does the pigment 'bleach' with age? Soak
  into the surface? As I mentioned earlier, there
  are two versions of the Sharpie, one claiming
  to be 'permanent'.

Guess we don't yet understand the nature of
  the impermanence. I poked around on the 'net
  and ran across some reviews of this product
  with respect to permanence . . . ordered
  some to play with . . .

http://tinyurl.com/yc3r8zpz

Bob . . .

Waaay too many variables, like a lot of stuff we do with experimental a/c.One guy says it (whatever 'it' might be) will never work, 'cause it didn't work for me. Another says it works fine, 'cause it worked for me. Nobody can actually specify every detail, often because we don't know which details actually matter.
This morning, I needed to add gear oil to my finish mower's gearbox. As I was pouring the 90 weight oil, I noticed the 'label' on the jug. This jug is *at least* 10 years old; probably closer to 15, and it's been on a shelf in an open (no hangar door) hangar for its entire life. The marker ID was added after the original plastic shrink labeling fell off, due to oil/etc contamination and damage, very early in the jug's 'career'. Like everyone else, I can't say for sure which marker I used, or even if I cleaned the jug before marking it. I *think* I probably used the brand/style marker shown in the pic, and probably did a quick wipe with alcohol before marking. But it was a decade or more ago, so.....
Charlie
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

aged_marker_(Medium).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  219.73 KB
 Viewed:  8297 Time(s)

aged_marker_(Medium).jpg

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Magic marker "robustness" Reply with quote

Reading that Sharpie markers fade with time sometimes, I have decided to buy a real label maker machine. I am making the conservative choice, a K-Sun Bee3-EZ. Everything that I have read says that these heat-shrink labels work well and last a long time.
I started using permanent fine-point Sharpie written on white heat-shrink. It works great. BUT... I want confidence that the labels will be clearly legible in 10 years or so.
BTW, I used the regular width, permanent Sharpie to label some of my clear plastic parts drawers. After five years, the black had faded away from some of them. I don't know if it was sunlight or what. Other labels on the same plastic with the same marker are fine. It's a mystery that I don't need to have inside my airplane.
Cheers,
    -- Art Z.

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/"If I am not for myself, who is for me? And if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" Hillel

deej(at)deej.net

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Magic marker "robustness" Reply with quote

Several years ago I read somewhere that the blue Sharpie permanent
markers lasted the longest compared to the other colors, but I have no
reference to back that up.

I have clear plastic sandwich bags that I marked a decade or so ago with
a blue Sharpie, and they have held up okay, but do indicate some fading.
Some aluminum parts I marked with the same marker around the same time
still look fresh as the day I marked them.

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV - EAA Chapter 87
Building: Sportsman 2+2 - Currently Flying: Glastar
Previously: Cessna 150 - Glasair 1 FT - Grumman AA1B

brian.lester(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Magic marker "robustness" Reply with quote

I think the material being marked also plays a part in how "permanent" the markings are. Different plastics absorb the sharpie better than others. As others have stated, sometimes packing tape, clear vinyl, or other covering will extend the life of the sharpie. 

Environmental factors also play a part (UV light, heat, humidity, etc.). 
If you absolutely need it to be permanent, use something that is appropriately rated. 
-Brian

On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 10:50 AM Dj Merrill <deej(at)deej.net (deej(at)deej.net)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Dj Merrill <deej(at)deej.net (deej(at)deej.net)>

Several years ago I read somewhere that the blue Sharpie permanent
markers lasted the longest compared to the other colors, but I have no
reference to back that up.

I have clear plastic sandwich bags that I marked a decade or so ago with
a blue Sharpie, and they have held up okay, but do indicate some fading.
  Some aluminum parts I marked with the same marker around the same time
still look fresh as the day I marked them.

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV - EAA Chapter 87
Building: Sportsman 2+2 - Currently Flying: Glastar
Previously: Cessna 150 - Glasair 1 FT - Grumman AA1B

===========
-
Electric-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Magic marker "robustness" Reply with quote

Gents,
Earlier this year I purchased a DYMO RHINO 4200 label machine to replace an old, 1st gen., RHINO I had been using for many years.

[img]cid:C46704E4-3D87-40E5-AD64-F6CB45578E72[/img]

These things print on several types of adhesive labels that seem to stick very well as well as printing on shrink tube. The labels come in clear, silver and white as well as printing in red, black and other colors. The shrink tube is in white or yellow. The labels & shrink tube are available in sizes of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 inch. This thing is super easy to use. I do recommend not printing one label at a time. Identify and print a large batch all at once to save wastage between labels.

One availability is through Amazon but there may be other sources at better prices. But the Amazon listing shows all pertinent information and has a demo video.

https://smile.amazon.com/DYMO-RHINO-Label-Maker-1801611/dp/B005MR516Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504450593&sr=8-2&keywords=dymo+rhino+label+maker

My best piece of advice is to be sure you are buying real DYMO cartridges as there are Chinese knockoffs that can be of highly variable quality (sometimes equal to DYMO,sometimes crap, use at your own risk). Those ones you see in plastic bags are the knockoffs. The real DYMO cartridges come in well labeled boxes as can be seen on the Amazon posting.

I did the print tiny labels on paper and hide under clear shrink, I did the fine line sharpie on shrink tube before the RHINO. They work but can be a real PITA to accomplish well. The DYMO is more expensive but it sure is quick and easy to do well.

Just my tuppence on the subject, YMMV.

Blue skies & tailwinds,Bob BorgerEuropa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs).Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP3705 Lynchburg Dr.Corinth, TX 76208-5331Cel: 817-992-1117rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)
On Sep 3, 2017, at 9:07 AM, Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name (art(at)zemon.name)> wrote:
Reading that Sharpie markers fade with time sometimes, I have decided to buy a real label maker machine. I am making the conservative choice, a K-Sun Bee3-EZ. Everything that I have read says that these heat-shrink labels work well and last a long time.

I started using permanent fine-point Sharpie written on white heat-shrink. It works great. BUT... I want confidence that the labels will be clearly legible in 10 years or so.

BTW, I used the regular width, permanent Sharpie to label some of my clear plastic parts drawers. After five years, the black had faded away from some of them. I don't know if it was sunlight or what. Other labels on the same plastic with the same marker are fine. It's a mystery that I don't need to have inside my airplane.

Cheers, -- Art Z.

IMG_6080.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.35 MB
 Viewed:  8297 Time(s)

IMG_6080.jpg

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Magic marker "robustness" Reply with quote

Boy, that thing is really BIG. Are you sure the labels will fit in the plane?

Wink

On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Robert Borger <rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Gents,

Earlier this year I purchased a DYMO RHINO 4200 label machine to replace an old, 1st gen., RHINO I had been using for many years.  
These things print on several types of adhesive labels that seem to stick very well as well as printing on shrink tube.  The labels come in clear, silver and white as well as printing in red, black and other colors.  The shrink tube is in white or yellow.  The labels & shrink tube are available in sizes of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 inch.  This thing is super easy to use.  I do recommend not printing one label at a time. Identify and print a large batch all at once to save wastage between labels.
One availability is through Amazon but there may be other sources at better prices.  But the Amazon listing shows all pertinent information and has a demo video.
https://smile.amazon.com/DYMO-RHINO-Label-Maker-1801611/dp/B005MR516Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504450593&sr=8-2&keywords=dymo+rhino+label+maker
My best piece of advice is to be sure you are buying real DYMO cartridges as there are Chinese knockoffs that can be of highly variable quality (sometimes equal to DYMO,sometimes crap, use at your own risk).  Those ones you see in plastic bags are the knockoffs.  The real DYMO cartridges come in well labeled boxes as can be seen on the Amazon posting.
I did the print tiny labels on paper and hide under clear shrink, I did the fine line sharpie on shrink tube before the RHINO.  They work but can be a real PITA to accomplish well.  The DYMO is more expensive but it sure is quick and easy to do well.
Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: [url=tel:(817)%20992-1117]817-992-1117[/url]
rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)

On Sep 3, 2017, at 9:07 AM, Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name (art(at)zemon.name)> wrote:
Cheers,
    -- Art Z.

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Magic marker "robustness" Reply with quote

Hi Charlie,
It’s really not that big. The printer is 4.75” wide x 7.0” tall. It must be the case that makes it look big :^)

Here’s a pic of some wire labels I did yesterday. These are much larger than I normally would print but I was playing with print sizes on some less expensive Chinese cartridges. But you can get the idea.

[img]cid:62128E09-BB24-4BA3-9B3F-1495CD510482[/img]

There are labels on my Europa that were done over 10 years ago with my old RHINO that are just as readable as they were the day they were printed.

Blue skies & tailwinds,Bob BorgerEuropa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs).Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP3705 Lynchburg Dr.Corinth, TX 76208-5331Cel: 817-992-1117rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)
On Sep 3, 2017, at 11:19 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

;-)On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Robert Borger <rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Gents,

These things print on several types of adhesive labels that seem to stick very well as well as printing on shrink tube. The labels come in clear, silver and white as well as printing in red, black and other colors. The shrink tube is in white or yellow. The labels & shrink tube are available in sizes of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 inch. This thing is super easy to use. I do recommend not printing one label at a time. Identify and print a large batch all at once to save wastage between labels.

One availability is through Amazon but there may be other sources at better prices. But the Amazon listing shows all pertinent information and has a demo video.

My best piece of advice is to be sure you are buying real DYMO cartridges as there are Chinese knockoffs that can be of highly variable quality (sometimes equal to DYMO,sometimes crap, use at your own risk). Those ones you see in plastic bags are the knockoffs. The real DYMO cartridges come in well labeled boxes as can be seen on the Amazon posting.

I did the print tiny labels on paper and hide under clear shrink, I did the fine line sharpie on shrink tube before the RHINO. They work but can be a real PITA to accomplish well. The DYMO is more expensive but it sure is quick and easy to do well.

Blue skies & tailwinds,Bob BorgerEuropa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs).Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP3705 Lynchburg Dr.Corinth, TX 76208-5331Cel: rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)

IMG_6081em.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.99 KB
 Viewed:  8296 Time(s)

IMG_6081em.jpg

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Magic marker "robustness" Reply with quote

That comment was a joke referencing the size of the image you sent. (Way bigger than the computer screen)

Sometimes it's hard to push a joke past the NSA's humor filter; it just comes out the other side meaningless.

On 9/3/2017 12:14 PM, Robert Borger wrote:

Quote:
Hi Charlie,
It’s really not that big.  The printer is 4.75” wide x 7.0” tall.  It must be the case that makes it look big :^)

Here’s a pic of some wire labels I did yesterday.  These are much larger than I normally would print but I was playing with print sizes on some less expensive Chinese cartridges.  But you can get the idea.

There are labels on my Europa that were done over 10 years ago with my old RHINO that are just as readable as they were the day they were printed.

Blue skies & tailwinds, Bob Borger Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs). Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP 3705 Lynchburg Dr. Corinth, TX  76208-5331 Cel: 817-992-1117 rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)
On Sep 3, 2017, at 11:19 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Wink On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Robert Borger <rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Gents,

These things print on several types of adhesive labels that seem to stick very well as well as printing on shrink tube.  The labels come in clear, silver and white as well as printing in red, black and other colors.  The shrink tube is in white or yellow.  The labels & shrink tube are available in sizes of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 inch.  This thing is super easy to use.  I do recommend not printing one label at a time. Identify and print a large batch all at once to save wastage between labels.

One availability is through Amazon but there may be other sources at better prices.  But the Amazon listing shows all pertinent information and has a demo video.

My best piece of advice is to be sure you are buying real DYMO cartridges as there are Chinese knockoffs that can be of highly variable quality (sometimes equal to DYMO,sometimes crap, use at your own risk).  Those ones you see in plastic bags are the knockoffs.  The real DYMO cartridges come in well labeled boxes as can be seen on the Amazon posting.

I did the print tiny labels on paper and hide under clear shrink, I did the fine line sharpie on shrink tube before the RHINO.  They work but can be a real PITA to accomplish well.  The DYMO is more expensive but it sure is quick and easy to do well.

Blue skies & tailwinds, Bob Borger Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs). Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP 3705 Lynchburg Dr. Corinth, TX  76208-5331 Cel: rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Magic marker "robustness" Reply with quote

Charlie,
I figured it was a funny. That’s why I had to add the point about “case making it look big :^)” But took the occasion to add a bit of info as well. As for the size of the image, I reduced the dimensions by a factor of 4 and quality by half to get it to that size! I guess I should have gone for an 8x reduction. I’ll try to remember that the next time, max dimension only to be 512!

On Sep 3, 2017, at 12:50 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
That comment was a joke referencing the size of the image you sent. (Way bigger than the computer screen) Sometimes it's hard to push a joke past the NSA's humor filter; it just comes out the other side meaningless. On 9/3/2017 12:14 PM, Robert Borger wrote:
Quote:
Hi Charlie,
It’s really not that big. The printer is 4.75” wide x 7.0” tall. It must be the case that makes it look big :^)

Here’s a pic of some wire labels I did yesterday. These are much larger than I normally would print but I was playing with print sizes on some less expensive Chinese cartridges. But you can get the idea.

Blue skies & tailwinds, Bob Borger Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs). Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP 3705 Lynchburg Dr. Corinth, TX 76208-5331 Cel: 817-992-1117 rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)

kboatright1(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Magic marker "robustness" Reply with quote

My experience using sharpies on under-panel wiring is that I marked all of the wires in my RV-6 using a sharpie on a paper tag. That was 17 years ago. Those labels are illegible today – the sharpie markings are just gone...

rick(at)beebe.org

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Magic marker "robustness" Reply with quote

The guy who built my plane in 2000 used blue marker on white heat
shrink. While some are still legible, most of the ink has blossomed into
illegible blobs. I'm going to be rewiring the panel this Fall and I'm
going to redo all those label. I think the investment in a label maker
is probably worth it. Plus my handwriting is terrible anyway.

--Rick

donvansanten(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Magic marker "robustness" Reply with quote

Look into the cost of heat shrink tubing for the printers. I just purchased an Epson printer that only wastes 1/2 inch of tube per label. My old K Sun wasted 2 inches per label. If you label both ends of every wire the extra cost of the Epson printer will be covered by 100 to 150 percent.

On Sep 3, 2017 7:47 PM, "Rick Beebe" <rick(at)beebe.org (rick(at)beebe.org)> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Rick Beebe <rick(at)beebe.org (rick(at)beebe.org)>

The guy who built my plane in 2000 used blue marker on white heat shrink. While some are still legible, most of the ink has blossomed into illegible blobs. I'm going to be rewiring the panel this Fall and I'm going to redo all those label. I think the investment in a label maker is probably worth it. Plus my handwriting is terrible anyway.

--Rick
====================================
-
Electric-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
FORUMS -
WIKI -
b Site -

kboatright1(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Magic marker "robustness" Reply with quote

Don,

Which Epson printer did you purchase? A model number would be great.

Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2017 11:16 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Magic marker "robustness"

Look into the cost of heat shrink tubing for the printers. I just purchased an Epson printer that only wastes 1/2 inch of tube per label. My old K Sun wasted 2 inches per label. If you label both ends of every wire the extra cost of the Epson printer will be covered by 100 to 150 percent.

On Sep 3, 2017 7:47 PM, "Rick Beebe" <rick(at)beebe.org> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Rick Beebe <rick(at)beebe.org>

The guy who built my plane in 2000 used blue marker on white heat shrink. While some are still legible, most of the ink has blossomed into illegible blobs. I'm going to be rewiring the panel this Fall and I'm going to redo all those label. I think the investment in a label maker is probably worth it. Plus my handwriting is terrible anyway.

--Rick
-
FORUMS -
===========
WIKI -
===========
b Site -

donvansanten(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Magic marker "robustness" Reply with quote

Epson LW-PX700

On Sep 4, 2017 6:02 AM, <kboatright1(at)comcast.net (kboatright1(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Don,

Which Epson printer did you purchase?  A model number would be great.

Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2017 11:16 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Magic marker "robustness"

On Sep 3, 2017 7:47 PM, "Rick Beebe" <rick(at)beebe.org> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Rick Beebe <rick(at)beebe.org>

--Rick
-
FORUMS -
===========
WIKI -
===========
b Site -
===========

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: