Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Golf Cart Batteries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Golf Cart Batteries Reply with quote

I have a friend who had a question on charging Golf Cart Batteries. ( I do not play golf). Anny help would be greatly appreciated.

here is is question on battery charging:
Golf Cart System- 6 8V batteries hooked up in series to generate 48V.

Problem- the cart hadn't been used in 3-4 months. When I checked it, the water levels were low, so I filled all to proper levels with distilled water. Golf cart had no power. Hooked up the 48V DPI charger, and it read "Detection Problem", and would not charge.

Possible Fix: Doing some research I learned this charger has cut outs if the total battery charge is below 40V. Some other research indicated I could charge the individual units, and if I got them charged enough- the 48V charger may work.
I have a charger for automobile 6 & 12V batteries, 2 AMP charge. In trying to use the 6V setting, I noted the two outside batteries (#1 and #6) were dead. The other 4 batteries all showed a fair to good charge on the 6V meter stetting. I charged the #1 and #6 batteries to just over a 75% reading. Then hooked up the 48V charger, and after it ran some checks, it finally began charging. After several hours it shows a full charge on the system. Cart seems to have its normal power level.

Questions- Did I do any damage to the batteries?
Will these batteries hold a reasonable charge?
Is there any reason the #1 & #6 batteries were dead, and the other 4 seemed to have held some level of charge?
Should I reposition the #1 and # 6 batteries in the series, maybe make them the #3 & #4 units?
In time when I replace the entire 6 8V battery set, can I replace them with
4 12V batteries? What's the trade off? What specification like amps do I have to consider?
What's the possibility the DPI 48V charger will work with 4 12V batteries?
Before moving ahead, I contact DPI directly and seek their input.
Any other items I should have asked about?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Golf Cart Batteries Reply with quote

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 6:53 AM, Laz <tllaz330(at)gmail.com (tllaz330(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Laz" <tllaz330(at)gmail.com (tllaz330(at)gmail.com)>

I have a friend who had a question on charging Golf Cart Batteries.  ( I do not play golf).  Anny help would be greatly appreciated.

here is is question on battery charging:
Golf Cart System-  6 8V batteries hooked up in series to generate 48V.

Problem- the cart hadn't been used in 3-4 months.  When I checked it, the water levels were low, so I filled all to proper levels with distilled water.  Golf cart had no power.  Hooked up the 48V DPI charger, and it read "Detection Problem", and would not charge.

Possible Fix:  Doing some research I learned this charger has cut outs if the total battery charge is below 40V.  Some other research indicated I could charge the individual units, and if I got them charged enough- the 48V charger may work.
    I have a charger for automobile 6 & 12V batteries, 2 AMP charge.  In trying to use the 6V setting, I noted the two outside batteries (#1 and #6) were dead.  The other 4 batteries all showed a fair to good charge on the 6V meter stetting.  I charged the #1 and #6 batteries to just over a 75% reading.  Then hooked up the 48V charger, and after it ran some checks, it finally began charging.  After several hours it shows a full charge on the system.  Cart seems to have its normal power level.

Questions- Did I do any damage to the batteries?
                 Will these batteries hold a reasonable charge?
                 Is there any reason the #1 & #6 batteries were dead, and the other 4 seemed to have held some level of charge?
                 Should I reposition the #1 and # 6 batteries in the series, maybe make them the #3 & #4 units?
                 In time when I replace the entire 6 8V battery set, can I replace them with
                 4 12V batteries?  What's the trade off?  What specification like amps do I                  have to consider?
                 What's the possibility the DPI 48V charger will work with 4 12V batteries?
                 Before moving ahead, I contact DPI directly and seek their input.
                 Any other items I should have asked about?

Charging individual batteries with the correct voltage charger didn't hurt them
Possibly. He'll know soon enough. Smile
Not uncommon for some, but not all batteries in a series string to go bad before the others.
Doubt it would make much difference, but wouldn't hurt anything (except maybe your back...).
Not a good idea to go with 12 V, unless you can find 12 V batteries with the same ampere-hour rating as the 8 V models (unlikely, and they wouldn't fit in the same physical space).
It would 'work', but you'd likely lose total battery energy (reduced range and probably power, as well) to operate the golf cart (see above).
You can sometimes 'recover' a weak battery by using a desulfator. 
https://www.google.com/search?espv=2&q=battery+desulfator&oq=battery+desulfator&gs_l=serp.3..0i67k1j0i7i30k1j0i67k1j0i7i30k1j0j0i7i30k1l3j0j0i67k1.36499.37780.0.38852.8.8.0.0.0.0.131.733.6j2.8.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..0.8.733.E9SDc7NGkcQ

When I was a kid (looong time ago), My dad used to sell a product called VX6 battery rejuvenator. He really believed in the stuff, and the company would guarantee that if it didn't bring a battery back to life, they'd refund your money. I certainly don't know the chemistry behind it, but I did see multiple batteries get their useful life extended. Bear in mind that this was long before consumers had heard the term 'desulfator', so who knows; maybe a desulfation session would have brought back those same batteries. Anyway, it's something you can throw into the google to see if it's worth a shot before replacing the batteries. 
Charlie

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: