Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

914 air box pressure sensor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spcialeffects

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: 914 air box pressure sensor Reply with quote

Hello all, first post in this section of the forum. I'm building a Europa with a rotax 914 turbo engine. I have just moved onto the engine side of things and have come up with a problem. I bought my engine second hand from a UK rotax engineer. When i got the engine i got 2 sensors with it, an ambient sensor which i have fitted inside the cabin area and an air box pressure sensor. Now when i look at images of the 914 plenum chamber i see this sensor mounted to the top of the chamber on a specially welded on plate, however on my engine I don't have this mounting. What am i to do?

Many thanks Frank

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 914 air box pressure sensor Reply with quote

Hi Frank,

If you don't have the Rotax airbox you need to get one. There are other connections that need to get made on this airbox.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 914 air box pressure sensor Reply with quote

Hi Frank,

The current install manual, Edition 2 Rev 0, page 103 describes these sensors.

The static sensor needs to pick up the pressure near the inlet to the turbo. In my Europa the sensor is mounted on the firewall and a length of 4mm hose is routed to near the air filter.

The airbox sensor has changed over the years. The current version has the sensor mounted to the airbox. Older versions like mine and apparently yours, have the sensor just connected to one of the 4mm hoses. You will need to cut the hose and insert a tee. It's probably easiest to cut the hose between the airbox and the fuel pressure regulator. You could also put a fitting into the threaded boss on the airbox, near the port side. I have a airbox temp sensor there that feeds my EFIS. The early install manuals specified water filters in the circuits to sensors. The filters are just paper fuel filters. I've attached the old install manual. Have a look at page 67.

While you are at it, fuel pressure specifications in the Operators Manual on a 914 is actually differential fuel pressure between the fuel pump and the airbox. The OM actually says airbox press + 3.6 psi. Page 52 of the manual has a little about this. UMA makes a differential pressure sensor that works well (P/N 1EU07D).

So I have a connection to the airbox that goes to the Rotax supplied airbox pressure sensor and also to the airbox pressure side of my UMA differential fuel pressure sensor.

Let me know if I can help further.

Jim Butcher
Europa N241BW 800 hrs 914

914 Install Man.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  914 Install Man.pdf
 Filesize:  2.48 MB
 Downloaded:  805 Time(s)

spcialeffects

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 914 air box pressure sensor Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the reply Jim. So after a chat with my rotax guy and your reply, yes the sensor mounts on a bracket attached to the FW and my engine already has a T piece for the attaching hose. Apparently this is an early engine. Could you post a photo of your install please.

Many thanks Frank kit 165

h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 914 air box pressure sensor Reply with quote

Hi Frank,

Well, here are a few photos. Funny how you never seem to have just the correct one!

Hope these help. If you need more, let us know and we can take more photos.

Jim

DSCI2394.JPG
 Description:
shows sensors to right of strap. Fuel press sensor to left of yellow hook.
 Filesize:  288.74 KB
 Viewed:  8381 Time(s)

DSCI2394.JPG

DSCI2399.JPG
 Description:
shows airbox sensor to right. also bottom of fuel press sensor. Also the water filters.
 Filesize:  284.27 KB

DSCI2399.JPG

002.JPG
 Description:
looking toward firewall. You can see air box press tee pointing to right. Also can see extra fuel hose going to diff fuel press sensot.
 Filesize:  292.28 KB

002.JPG

spcialeffects

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 914 air box pressure sensor Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Jim 👍

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: