Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin GNC250XL wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Avionics-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Remi Guerner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Garmin GNC250XL wiring Reply with quote

Hello all,
I am installing a new com radio in order to comply with the european requirement for 8.33 channel spacing. I do not need the com function of my GNC250XL anymore as I will use it as a GPS only. I would like to deactivate the com circuitry so that it does not use more power than necessary. According to the Install Manual, the unit is powered as follows: connector J101: pins 21 and 25 connected to aircraft power. Pins 22 and 26 to ground. For pins 21 and 22, it is also mentioned: "not required for GPS150XL" . The GPS150XL is a GPS only variation of the 250XL. So I think that pins 21-22 may be feeding the com circuitry while pins 25-26 are feeding the GPS circuitry and if I do not connect pins 21-22, the unit will work fine as a GPS only. Am I right ?
Regards
Remi Guerner
Europa F-PGKL

- The Matronics Avionics-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List
gilles.thesee(at)free.fr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Garmin GNC250XL wiring Reply with quote

Le 15/12/2016 à 15:29, Remi Guerner a écrit :

Quote:
Quote:
I would like to deactivate the com circuitry so that it does not use more power than necessary. According to the Install Manual, the unit is powered as follows: connector J101: pins 21 and 25 connected to aircraft power. Pins 22 and 26 to ground. For pins 21 and 22, it is also mentioned: "not required for GPS150XL" . The GPS150XL is a GPS only variation of the 250XL. So I think that pins 21-22 may be feeding the com circuitry while pins 25-26 are feeding the GPS circuitry and if I do not connect pins 21-22, the unit will work fine as a GPS only. Am I right ?
Hi Remi,

Don't know, but why not give it a try on the bench ?
But be warned that as the VHF transmit function uses much power, the aircraft pwr & ground connections often use two pins and two wires each, which are internally interconnected.
So leaving one of them un-connected won't change the VHF standby power, which is usually quite low.

FWIW,

--
Amicalement,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

gyoung

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Garmin GNC250XL wiring Reply with quote

The GX-60 and SL-30 both have 2 power inputs, one for the comm board and the other for the nav. One of them powered the display, I don’t remember which. Those were UPSAT designs but Garmin had to make a choice for display power as well. Hopefully it’s the nav side in your unit.

Greg Young

From: owner-avionics-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-avionics-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of GTH
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2016 8:50 AM
To: avionics-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Garmin GNC250XL wiring

Le 15/12/2016 à 15:29, Remi Guerner a écrit :
Quote:
Quote:
I would like to deactivate the com circuitry so that it does not use more power than necessary. According to the Install Manual, the unit is powered as follows: connector J101: pins 21 and 25 connected to aircraft power. Pins 22 and 26 to ground. For pins 21 and 22, it is also mentioned: "not required for GPS150XL" . The GPS150XL is a GPS only variation of the 250XL. So I think that pins 21-22 may be feeding the com circuitry while pins 25-26 are feeding the GPS circuitry and if I do not connect pins 21-22, the unit will work fine as a GPS only. Am I right ?

Hi Remi,

Don't know, but why not give it a try on the bench ?
But be warned that as the VHF transmit function uses much power, the aircraft pwr & ground connections often use two pins and two wires each, which are internally interconnected.
So leaving one of them un-connected won't change the VHF standby power, which is usually quite low.

FWIW,

--
Amicalement,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr

skywagon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Garmin GNC250XL wiring Reply with quote

Remi,
If you do not have a backup radio, I personally, would not deactivate it.
Since it is already part of your panel why not keep it on-line as an
emergency radio..?
And, it's receiver function can always be used as #2, listening for traffic
on ATC, ground, weather, etc.

---

Remi Guerner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin GNC250XL wiring Reply with quote

Skywagon,
Keeping the GNC250 as a back up was my original plan, but I finally decided against it because that would be a more complex installation with an additional antenna and an audio panel. I also think that whenever the 8.33 channel spacing will be fully implemented, the European authorities will forbid any transmission on the old 25 MHz spacing frequencies to prevent interferences. My back-up is an 8.33 Icom hand held.
Remi

Remi Guerner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin GNC250XL wiring Reply with quote

Hi Gilles,
Of course a bench test is a possibility. Now regarding the power requirements, here are the figures mentioned in the Manual:
GNC250XL: 1.35A (not transmitting). GPS150XL: 0.95A
So there is 0.4Amps to be saved with the deactivation of the Com board.
Regards
Remi

[/quote]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Avionics-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: