Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KX155 alternative

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Baker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: KX155 alternative Reply with quote

Now that Bendix King have stopped making parts for this radio, especially the display, any advice concerning maintenance options or replacements? One of mine was rehab'd so it works well but the other is starting to miss segments. Haven't pulled it yet to try burnishing the zebra contacts.

I just love obsolescence.

Jim Baker
405 426 5377

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
alec(at)alecmyers.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: KX155 alternative Reply with quote

If it's 12v, and it has a glideslope receiver, and you decide to part it out, let me know...

On Jun 28, 2016, at 21:56, Jim Baker <jimbaker(at)npacc.net> wrote:

Now that Bendix King have stopped making parts for this radio, especially the display, any advice concerning maintenance options or replacements? One of mine was rehab'd so it works well but the other is starting to miss segments. Haven't pulled it yet to try burnishing the zebra contacts.

Jim Baker
405 426 5377

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

millner(at)me.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: KX155 alternative Reply with quote

I thought King is making an LED replacement but it's pricey!

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Jun 28, 2016, at 6:56 PM, Jim Baker <jimbaker(at)npacc.net> wrote:

Jim Baker
405 426 5377

skywagon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: KX155 alternative Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

You probably have already found this. . . the 155 display is easy to get to
and change.
Just remember to set the control knobs at some "known" position before you
pull them off. Once the front panel is removed, the display slides out of
it's large contact holder. Cleaning the contacts may help, but, being a
high voltage gas display, the problem of missing segments is usually
permanent. That display is expensive and a bugger to find. I would check
with large avionics shops and if they have some new old inventory, they
might sell you a new display. I like the -155. It is a same to send it to
the grave yard.
Dave

_______________________________________________________________________________-
---

Jim Baker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: KX155 alternative Reply with quote

At $2.5k a pop, I'll pass. Jim Baker [url=tel:4054265377]405.426.5377[/url]--

Jim Baker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: KX155 alternative Reply with quote

Both are 12v and GS.....but not parting them anytime soon.....I'm a cheap bastard. ; ) Jim Baker [url=tel:4054265377]405.426.5377[/url]--

alec(at)alecmyers.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: KX155 alternative Reply with quote

in that case... sometimes you can encourage a missing segment to work again by warm-soaking the unit (i.e. leaving radio in the on state) for an extended period of time.

On Jun 29, 2016, at 19:27, jimbaker(at)npacc.net (jimbaker(at)npacc.net) wrote:
Both are 12v and GS.....but not parting them anytime soon.....I'm a cheap bastard.

; )

Jim Baker
[url=tel:4054265377]405.426.5377[/url]

--

n5ff(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: KX155 alternative Reply with quote

Interesting timing for this thread.  Just last Friday my 155 was acting up for the first time. Some digits will go blank, but the radio woks fine. The issue goes away if I turn the radio off then back on again. That happened about half a dozen times in about two hour flight. It was hot summer day here in Texas so I thought maybe it was the heat, but reading this post sounds like it's a chronicle problem with this radio ? Does this sound like the display is dying or is it the pins cleaning symptoms? Any recommendations for a course of action? Any good repair shop you can recommend that can recondition the radio for a reasonable charge ? Thanks, Saad

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 29, 2016, at 6:27 PM, jimbaker(at)npacc.net (jimbaker(at)npacc.net) wrote:
[quote]Both are 12v and GS.....but not parting them anytime soon.....I'm a cheap bastard.

; )

Jim Baker
[url=tel:4054265377]405.426.5377[/url]

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: