Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High oil temp on 912UL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GBWFH2010

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: High oil temp on 912UL Reply with quote

Aircraft: Europa Classic Tri Gear
Engine : Rotax 912 UL (80HP) TT 440 hours
Propeller: Airmaster

I am having a major problem with excessive oil temperature. The Europa Classic is not brilliant when it comes to cooling due to the design ‘feature’ of having the oil cooler mounted behind the left hand coolant radiator and I have carried out all the recommended ‘mods’ suggested by other Europa owners to improve cooling. These have helped and but now the weather is getting warmer (21 degrees!) I have discovered things have taken a turn for the worse.

My last three flights have been a nightmare due to soaring oil temperature. For example, yesterday I started my take off roll with an oil temp of 80C and had to reduce power and level off after less than two minutes (1300 ft) with the oil temp approaching 130C and CHT of 120C. Cruising at that level quickly drops the CHT to 110C but the oil takes an age to fall below 120C. If I can get the aircraft into the cruise above 2500ft the temps stabilise at just below 110C Oil and 100C CHT, the problem is I just can’t get that high at the moment.

I have not changed anything on the aircraft so I am assuming it must be an engine problem. The oil level is always correct and I use Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 and Rotax filters. The oil has done less than 20 hours and I use MOGAS with no ethanol. Oil pressure is OK and is about 2.8 – 3 Bar at a normal cruise.

Does anyone have any ideas what could possibly be causing this problem? I really hope so as I am not going anywhere as things stand!

Gordon Grant
Europa Classic G-BWFH

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

G-BWFH
jnjrob(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: High oil temp on 912UL Reply with quote

http://www.batinc.net/laminova.htm These work on the short tail Rans S7.
Jim

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

cptimm29(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: High oil temp on 912UL Reply with quote

Gordon, I bought a larger oil cooler from Rotax when I decided to go for the 912S, which runs much hotter than the 912. Then I modified the lower cowling with the new location for the oil cooler under the propellor. It slides in from the inside when the cowling is attached and is thus isolated from engine vibration. This was all done during the build and we don't have the the problems with certification.

Peter Timm

British Columbia, Canada

On 2016-05-13, at 8:32 AM, Jim Roberts wrote:

[quote]

http://www.batinc.net/laminova.htm These work on the short tail Rans S7.
Jim

--

Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: High oil temp on 912UL Reply with quote

Gordon
I have a Kitfox and my problem is that the oil temp is too cool. When I first bought the aircraft the prior owner had a large soft aluminum sheet with fins (about 3/8 inch fins) wrapped around the oil tank acting as a heat sink. It was attached by two large hose clamps. I removed it as it was drawing too much heat out of the oil. I have seen these things used around oil filters in cars to cool the oil. I don't have a clue is to what they are called or where to get them but it might be worth a shot to try it. It looks to be rather inexpensive and was pretty effective on my airplane. In my case the large oil cooler is more than enough
You might try a goggle search and see what you come up with or maybe another member would know what they are called. Might be a cheap fix to reduce some heat.
Good luck,
  Dick

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: High oil temp on 912UL Reply with quote

HI Gordon,

What coolant are you running? If it's Evans get rid of it and use 50/50. Evans carries a 20F-30F heat penalty do to poor heat absorption and dissipation.

Next check the oil hoses when hot to make sure none have a narrowed radius in them. Some people have too tight a bend and that narrows the hose I.D and slows the oil flow. You should have a 13mm opening all the way through the oil hose lines.

Heat exchangers usually don't work here unless they are open air engines. Tight cowled engines don't fair well.
Depending on the number of hours on the engine you may need the oil cooler flushed from accumulated debris.

If the oil temp wasn't an issue before then something is now restricting its flow. Usually these problems are not an exotic fix. They are something simple that most people overlook.

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
GBWFH2010

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: High oil temp on 912UL Reply with quote

Roger,

Thank you for the advice and I will check all these out.

Regards

Gordon

G-BWFH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: