Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

flight home from the rock house

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: flight home from the rock house Reply with quote

just for information.... on my way home from the rock house to Utah,,,, when I descended into Buhl Idaho for fuel, my 912 started running a bit rough. it was not continuous just a split second of rough then smooth right out.   but it repeated itself every few seconds. after refueling I did a run up, every seemed to run smooth. so I thought that I maybe had had a bit of carb ice... I took off with the thought of returning if all did not sound or feel right... the 912 purred like always.... until I reached altitude and throttled back. this time the vibration had only short periods of smooth between long rough periods. I tried the enrichener, but that made it much worse.... tried turning off both mags one at a time.... the mags made no difference.... went back to   WOT and things smoothed out... by this time I looked out the window and was over another airport, chopped power and landed.... The kid at the airport was just putting away his RV7 and was going home....  he hung around long enough till I got things running smoothly again.....  I checked the float bowls, all looked good, no debris or water.   then I noticed the float bowl vent tube, I have always had it vented into the air cleaners.... but on one side the tube had kinked. I asked for a bit of safety wire,   straightened out the tube wrapped the kink with the wire, put it back on,,, The wire kept the tube from folding over,,, I went for a high speed taxi text, then did a loop around the pattern.... everything ran smooth... so I departed for home, a 2 hour flight without problems.

moral of the story,,,, keep the float bowl vent lines open...

boyd young

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Arty Trost

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: flight home from the rock house Reply with quote

Hi Boyd,
Glad you figured out the problem and made it home safely. And thanks for posting this - one more thing to be sure to check out during mt pre-flights.

Arty

www.LessonsFromTheEdge.com/uladventure2009.htm

"Life's a daring adventure or nothing" Helen Keller

"I refuse to tip toe through life just to arrive safely at death."

To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2016 6:21 PM
Subject: flight home from the rock house

just for information.... on my way home from the rock house to Utah,,,, when I descended into Buhl Idaho for fuel, my 912 started running a bit rough. it was not continuous just a split second of rough then smooth right out.   but it repeated itself every few seconds. after refueling I did a run up, every seemed to run smooth. so I thought that I maybe had had a bit of carb ice... I took off with the thought of returning if all did not sound or feel right... the 912 purred like always.... until I reached altitude and throttled back. this time the vibration had only short periods of smooth between long rough periods. I tried the enrichener, but that made it much worse.... tried turning off both mags one at a time.... the mags made no difference.... went back to   WOT and things smoothed out... by this time I looked out the window and was over another airport, chopped power and landed.... The kid at the airport was just putting away his RV7 and was going home....  he hung around long enough till I got things running smoothly again.....  I checked the float bowls, all looked good, no debris or water.   then I noticed the float bowl vent tube, I have always had it vented into the air cleaners.... but on one side the tube had kinked. I asked for a bit of safety wire,   straightened out the tube wrapped the kink with the wire, put it back on,,, The wire kept the tube from folding over,,, I went for a high speed taxi text, then did a loop around the pattern.... everything ran smooth... so I departed for home, a 2 hour flight without problems.

moral of the story,,,, keep the float bowl vent lines open...

boyd young

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: