Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

912 ULS Fuel Pressure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stan2tew(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: 912 ULS Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

My 912 ULS mounted in my Rans S7-S has 438 hr. I replaced the old style mechanical pump as recommended by Rotax. I have an electric fuel pump and fuel pressure gauge. I usually take off with the electric pump running in addition to the mechanical pump. When I level off to cruise I turn off the electric pump. My pressure usually is about 4.5 psi. Last week I was flying and noticed the EIS warning light and it identified my fuel pressure to be about 0.9 psi. I quickly turned on the electric pump. The pressure went to about 3.5 psi. I flew back and landed without incident. The engine never faltered.
Any suggestion on how to test the mechanical pump? Any suggestion on what the problem might be? I have not had opportunity to remove the cowl to make any visual checks.
Stan Tew

N29TD

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 ULS Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

You can put a 10 psi gauge inline with the fuel at the balance tube assembly or if you don't have one then just plumb it inline. If your electric pump is plumbed in series it has a check valve that could cause an issue until it gets turned on.
I doubt it's the mechanical pump, but you won't know for sure until you put a gauge inline. Possibly the fuel pressure gauge, again an unknow until you put a gauge inline.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: 912 ULS Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

"T" a mechanical pressure gauge into your fuel line.

john h
Fort Lewis, WA

From: owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Stan Tew
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2015 3:47 PM
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: 912 ULS Fuel Pressure

My 912 ULS mounted in my Rans S7-S has 438 hr. I replaced the old style mechanical pump as recommended by Rotax. I have an electric fuel pump and fuel pressure gauge. I usually take off with the electric pump running in addition to the mechanical pump. When I level off to cruise I turn off the electric pump. My pressure usually is about 4.5 psi. Last week I was flying and noticed the EIS warning light and it identified my fuel pressure to be about 0.9 psi. I quickly turned on the electric pump. The pressure went to about 3.5 psi. I flew back and landed without incident. The engine never faltered.

Any suggestion on how to test the mechanical pump? Any suggestion on what the problem might be? I have not had opportunity to remove the cowl to make any visual checks.

Stan Tew

N29TD
Quote:
          - The RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -   --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Titus, Alabama
rickofudall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: 912 ULS Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

Stan, Check for blockage of tank vents. 'Tis the season for mud daubers after all.

Rick Girard
do not archive
On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 11:06 PM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:

"T" a mechanical pressure gauge into your fuel line.

john h
Fort Lewis, WA

From: owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Stan Tew
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2015 3:47 PM
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com (rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: 912 ULS Fuel Pressure

Stan Tew

N29TD
Quote:

Quote:
          - The RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -   --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List 
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

--

Believe those who are seeking the truth, doubt those who find it.
-Andre Gide

[quote][b]

b.carl@sympatico.ca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: 912 ULS Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

HI Stan
One year ago I had the same symptoms that you had. I believe this was caused by the fact that the electric pump has a slightly higher pressure than the engine pump and this causes the engine pump to stop pumping while the electric pump is "on." This stagnation of fuel in the engine pump during TO/Climb cause that fuel to vaporize and a momentary loss of pressure when the electric pump is turned "OFF".
I've moved my gascolator, filter and boost pump to the rear compartment and firesleeved all the lines. I also ran a return line to my right wing tank. Seam to have helped some but I still see the pressure drop and the occasional warning light when I turn the boost pump "OFF". Never affected the engine but always ready to reselect to boost pump.
After shutdown on a hot day burning auto fuel, put an ear close to the engine pump; bet you will hear the fuel boiling.
Carl

[quote] ---

dpark748(at)icloud.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:52 am    Post subject: 912 ULS Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

I have exactly the same experience, this was after fitting the new mechanical pump which operates at a slightly higher pressure, it didn't happen before the new pump was fitted.?The drop in pressure does not effect the engine performance but am wary of switching the electric pump back on if required.
Regards Dave Park G-LDVO
On 21 Jul 2015, at 22:29, Carl <b.carl(at)sympatico.ca (b.carl(at)sympatico.ca)> wrote:
[quote]HI Stan
One year ago I had the same symptoms that you had. I believe this was caused by the fact that the electric pump has a slightly higher pressure than the engine pump and this causes the engine pump to stop pumping while the electric pump is "on." This stagnation of fuel in the engine pump during TO/Climb cause that fuel to vaporize and a momentary loss of pressure when the electric pump is turned "OFF".
I've moved my gascolator, filter and boost pump to the rear compartment and firesleeved all the lines. I also ran a return line to my right wing tank. Seam to have helped some but I still see the pressure drop and the occasional warning light when I turn the boost pump "OFF". Never affected the engine but always ready to reselect to boost pump.
After shutdown on a hot day burning auto fuel, put an ear close to the engine pump; bet you will hear the fuel boiling.
Carl

[quote]---

rickofudall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: 912 ULS Fuel Pressure Reply with quote

When I was growing up vapor lock was not an uncommon in the autos of the 50's and 60's. Now it's virtually unheard of. Why? The engines of the time had block mounted fuel pumps. Fuel was pulled from the tank into a hot engine compartment. Sound familiar? Now the fuel pumps are in the tank and push fuel all the way to the injector rails. To keep the fuel, which is at 40+ psi, excess fuel is sent back to the tank to cool. Rotax has had the return line in its recommended fuel system but have the manufacturer's kept up with the rest of the system? A 912 ULS consumes 7 gallons an hour at full throttle. That's 1617 cu. in. of gas (air) that has to be let in to the tank to replace the 1617 cu. in. of gas that's been pumped out.
Do the simple things first and start with the basics. Check all vents to make sure they are clear. Next, raise the tail of the aircraft to flight position, disconnect the fuel line at the mechanical pump and time the fuel flow for 6 minutes.  Measure how much fuel ran out and multiply X 10. That's the maximum fuel flow potential you can get to the pump. Until you know that you're just casting about in the dark.
Rick Girard
do not archive
On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 6:51 AM, david park <dpark748(at)icloud.com (dpark748(at)icloud.com)> wrote:
[quote]I have exactly the same experience, this was after fitting the new mechanical pump which operates at a slightly higher pressure, it didn't happen before the new pump was fitted.?The drop in pressure does not effect the engine performance but am wary of switching the electric pump back on if required.
Regards Dave Park G-LDVO 
On 21 Jul 2015, at 22:29, Carl <b.carl(at)sympatico.ca (b.carl(at)sympatico.ca)> wrote:

[quote]HI Stan
One year ago I had the same symptoms that you had. I believe this was caused by the fact that the electric pump has a slightly higher pressure than the engine pump and this causes the engine pump to stop pumping while the electric pump is "on." This stagnation of fuel in the engine pump during TO/Climb cause that fuel to vaporize and a momentary loss of pressure when the electric pump is turned "OFF". 
Carl

[quote]---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: