Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

582 grey head ignition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bartrond(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: 582 grey head ignition Reply with quote

Hi fellow 2-stroke flyers,

I am currently working on testruns and (hopefully) testflights with my restoration project Pulsar 1, equipped with Rotax 582 grey head.
A few testflights had to be cancelled, because one of the two ignitions failed in the run-up before take-off. So far, we could not find the cause of this failure.
It does not fail constantly, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't!
We suspect one of the ignition coils. Does anyone recognise this problem?

Cheers, Bart

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: 582 grey head ignition Reply with quote

I'm going to say broken ignition (not plug) wire. See this on the 912 all the time. Use a continuity tester with needles to poke through the insulation. Work the wires to find the break.

Guy B.

Sent from my iPod

Quote:
On Jul 12, 2015, at 11:45 AM, Bart Rond <bartrond(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi fellow 2-stroke flyers,

I am currently working on testruns and (hopefully) testflights with my restoration project Pulsar 1, equipped with Rotax 582 grey head.
A few testflights had to be cancelled, because one of the two ignitions failed in the run-up before take-off. So far, we could not find the cause of this failure.
It does not fail constantly, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't!
We suspect one of the ignition coils. Does anyone recognise this problem?

Cheers, Bart

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

blumax008(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: 582 grey head ignition Reply with quote

Bart,

I use a guy in Naples, FL named Rick Davis. He's one of the old pros of 4 & 2 stroke motors. I'll see if I can find his web site for you....

https://rotaxrick.wordpress.com/

He can help you with just about anything. Best idea is to email him. He stays busy!

Bill Catalina

blumax008(at)aol.com

--

rickofudall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: 582 grey head ignition Reply with quote

Bart, Don't know if you've had any luck with this issue, but here are some more things to check.Wire/Coil and Wire/Boot connection. Trim a quarter inch or so (6mm) from the each end of the wire so that the screw inside the coil and boot can get a firm connection. While you have the boots off, check them for proper resistance, they should be 5 ohms. If they are too much more consider replacing them. You can get generics that are 1/10 the price Rotax charges. Test the spark plug leads, too. They're wire core and s/b zero ohms.
Test your mag switches for intermittent failure. Just use an ohm meter and flip the switch a couple of dozen times and see if the switch has a failure.
Rick Girard

On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Guy Buchanan <gebuchanan(at)cox.net (gebuchanan(at)cox.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: Guy Buchanan <gebuchanan(at)cox.net (gebuchanan(at)cox.net)>

I'm going to say broken ignition (not plug) wire. See this on the 912 all the time. Use a continuity tester with needles to poke through the insulation. Work the wires to find the break.

Guy B.

Sent from my iPod

> On Jul 12, 2015, at 11:45 AM, Bart Rond <bartrond(at)hotmail.com (bartrond(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
>
> --> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: Bart Rond <bartrond(at)hotmail.com (bartrond(at)hotmail.com)>
>
> Hi fellow 2-stroke flyers,
>
> I am currently working on testruns and (hopefully) testflights with my restoration project Pulsar 1, equipped with Rotax 582 grey head.
> A few testflights had to be cancelled, because one of the two ignitions failed in the run-up before take-off. So far, we could not find the cause of this failure.
> It does not fail constantly, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't!
> We suspect one of the ignition coils. Does anyone recognise this problem?
>
> Cheers, Bart
>
> Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad
>
>
>
>

===========
-
xEngines-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--

Believe those who are seeking the truth, doubt those who find it.
-Andre Gide

[quote][b]

blumax008(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: 582 grey head ignition Reply with quote

Quote:
so that the screw inside the coil and boot can get a firm connection. While you have the boots off, check them for proper resistance, they should be 5 ohms. If they are too much more consider replacing them. You can get generics that are 1/10 the price Rotax charges.

Rick....

You just mentioned something that is dear to all our hearts. ($$$).

Could you tell us where to buy coil generics at 1/10th. the price of similar Rotax.

I was just shocked by the price of a single Bing 54 carb.

Thank You!

Bill in Tallahassee

blumax008(at)aol.com

--

bartrond(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: 582 grey head ignition Reply with quote

Hi Richard and Guy,

Thanks for the tips, you were both right! So far I was able to track it down to either the generator or the wires to ignition box 2. Sunday we switched out the ign.box for a spare one and the problem stayed the same. I also measured the coils in the generator, the kill switches and the wires that connect them, no problem there. When I interchanged the connectors of the wires to the kill switches, the problem moved to the other switch.
Today I mounted new connectors in the white and green wire between the generator and the e-box, no change, the engine still stopped with ign2 ON and ign1 OFF. Not all the time tough, but after a few minutes of taxiing!!
Then I was sure I had it fixed, when I cut the white and green wire close to the generator housing and connected new wires instead. The engine kept running all the time on both ignitions!!
So I cut the engine to put insulation on all connections and secure all wires with tie-ripps, and then the downer occurred: the engine only ran on ign.1 and ign.2 did NOT function anymore!
Enough to go absolutely insane....
To be continued!

Bart

[quote] Op 19 jul. 2015 om 15:42 heeft Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:

Bart, Don't know if you've had any luck with this issue, but here are some more things to check.
Wire/Coil and Wire/Boot connection. Trim a quarter inch or so (6mm) from the each end of the wire so that the screw inside the coil and boot can get a firm connection. While you have the boots off, check them for proper resistance, they should be 5 ohms. If they are too much more consider replacing them. You can get generics that are 1/10 the price Rotax charges. Test the spark plug leads, too. They're wire core and s/b zero ohms.
Test your mag switches for intermittent failure. Just use an ohm meter and flip the switch a couple of dozen times and see if the switch has a failure

blumax008(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: 582 grey head ignition Reply with quote

Quote:
Enough to go absolutely insane....

Tell me about it Bart.

I've been flying two cycle UL's since '78. I thought I knew all the mysteries of the 2-cycle engine. Right.

Had a carb leaking fuel badly on my Hornet. Changed it. The replacement leaked just as bad. Changed to a 3rd. carb...same thing.

All three were rather old carbs that used Ethanol back when I couldn't get E-free.

Finally, I took one (Bing 54) off my Trike that I knew worked okay and fitted it. Didn't leak.

I consulted two old time 2-cycle operators: Beaver Borne in Reserve, LA and Rick Davis in Naples, FL. They too were at a loss.

I took all carbs apart & found eroded Viton tips we're pretty sure was due to Ethanol & causing the Viton to not seal properly - and causing fuel overflow into float bowl and engine failure.

Bottom line, don't use E fuel. Photo was taken in 2010 when I couldn't get any E-free fuel.

[img]cid:AOLP.652834[/img]

blumax008(at)aol.com

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: