Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Aero Shell Sport Plus 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: New Aero Shell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

The new formula changed the wear additive package (increased the levels of anti-wear materials) and the most significant is a change of the base oil used. This is now a custom formula for Rotax and not anything like the motorcycle blend that they started with. It took more than 4 years of testing in Rotax engines. I think it was 8 blends they tested long term in flight school engines back at the factory that all ran up to TBO. They then selected the best one of the batch."

http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+AeroShell-Sport-PLUS-4-Oil-Aeroshell-Sport-Plus-4-Oil-12x-1-Ltr-ROTAX-912-914-Series+2675CASE

"Thomas Uhr, General Manager BRP-Powertrain said, “The collaboration of BRP-Rotax with Shell goes back to 2004. Our decision to work with the AeroShell team on the development of the new formulation for AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4 was based on the benefits the new formulation would provide to our customers. This joint development is supported by 40 years of Rotax aircraft engines, 25 years and more than 50.000 engines produced within the Rotax 912/914 engines with more than 45 million hours of flight."

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: New Aero Shell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

And only $14 per quart...

On 4/22/2015 8:04 AM, Roger Lee wrote:
Quote:

The new formula changed the wear additive package (increased the levels of anti-wear materials) and the most significant is a change of the base oil used. This is now a custom formula for Rotax and not anything like the motorcycle blend that they started with. It took more than 4 years of testing in Rotax engines. I think it was 8 blends they tested long term in flight school engines back at the factory that all ran up to TBO. They then selected the best one of the batch."

http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+AeroShell-Sport-PLUS-4-Oil-Aeroshell-Sport-Plus-4-Oil-12x-1-Ltr-ROTAX-912-914-Series+2675CASE

"Thomas Uhr, General Manager BRP-Powertrain said, “The collaboration of BRP-Rotax with Shell goes back to 2004. Our decision to work with the AeroShell team on the development of the new formulation for AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4 was based on the benefits the new formulation would provide to our customers. This joint development is supported by 40 years of Rotax aircraft engines, 25 years and more than 50.000 engines produced within the Rotax 912/914 engines with more than 45 million hours of flight."

--------
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance Rated
Rotax Repair Center - Heavy Maint. Rated
Cell 520-349-7056

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=441118#441118

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

hgmckay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: New Aero Shell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

I would like to know what is wrong with the currently approved oils that
would warrant use of this oil? Doesn't make much sense to me, but I am sure
it does to Rotax!

Hugh G. McKay III, P.E. Fellow, L.M. ASCE
Senior Consultant
Worldwide Engineering Inc.
4090 North NC Hwy. 16
Denver, NC 28037

Ph. 704-661-8271
Fax 704-483-5466
email hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net
http://www.wwegeo.com
--

KeysFox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: New Aero Shell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

Talking with Shell oil engineers at Sebring LSA EXPO shortly after Shell & To tax introduced Sport Plus 4 oil for our 912s,  an ashless dispersant was added to hold lead in suspension within the oil so the suspended lead can be carried out at oil change rather than allow excess lead to accumulate as sludge in the gear case and elsewhere in the engine where it can cause damage.
A lead dispersant additive  package is not needed in motorcycle engine oil that we have been using in our Rotax 912 series engines, because most motorcycles use unleaded gas. 
Shell does not advertise that ashless depressant (AD) is in the oil formulated for our 912s because Lycoming & Continental owners might think the oil can be used in their aircraft engines, which is not the case because the anti wear additive package in Sport Plus 4 can cause combustion chamber deposits that lead to detonation in air cooled aircraft engines which have much greater blow by from wide piston to cylinder tolerances than our 912s.
This is more specifc than some of the info we get and obviously it would be best to get the most current info directly from Shell or Rotax rather than second hand thru my understanding of the matter. If I catch up with a Shell or Rotax rep here at S N F who is technically up on Sport Plus 4 I'll try to pick his brain and report back if different.
BJ Kitfox IV,  Rotax 912

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date:04/22/2015 7:14 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RotaxEngines-List: New Aero Shell Sport Plus 4

--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "Hugh McKay" <hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net>

it does to Rotax!

Senior Consultant
4090 North NC Hwy. 16
Denver, NC 28037

Ph. 704-661-8271
Fax 704-483-5466
email hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net
--

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Aero Shell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

Hi Hugh,

Nothing really wrong with the old Aero Shell, they justed wanted to tune it up and make it better for its specific 912 application. They went through a lot of time and money to try and find areas they could improve on.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
dennistubbs7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: New Aero Shell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

I wonder if this means we can now burn 100LL AvGas in our 912 engines without penalty of the previously required cleaning of the gear reduction clutch and more frequent oil changes?

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 4:47 AM, bjones <bjones(at)dmv.com (bjones(at)dmv.com)> wrote:
[quote]Talking with Shell oil engineers at Sebring LSA EXPO shortly after Shell & To tax introduced Sport Plus 4 oil for our 912s,  an ashless dispersant was added to hold lead in suspension within the oil so the suspended lead can be carried out at oil change rather than allow excess lead to accumulate as sludge in the gear case and elsewhere in the engine where it can cause damage.
A lead dispersant additive  package is not needed in motorcycle engine oil that we have been using in our Rotax 912 series engines, because most motorcycles use unleaded gas. 
Shell does not advertise that ashless depressant (AD) is in the oil formulated for our 912s because Lycoming & Continental owners might think the oil can be used in their aircraft engines, which is not the case because the anti wear additive package in Sport Plus 4 can cause combustion chamber deposits that lead to detonation in air cooled aircraft engines which have much greater blow by from wide piston to cylinder tolerances than our 912s.
This is more specifc than some of the info we get and obviously it would be best to get the most current info directly from Shell or Rotax rather than second hand thru my understanding of the matter. If I catch up with a Shell or Rotax rep here at S N F who is technically up on Sport Plus 4 I'll try to pick his brain and report back if different.
BJ Kitfox IV,  Rotax 912

From: Hugh McKay <hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net (hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net)>
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com (rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: RotaxEngines-List: New Aero Shell Sport Plus 4

--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "Hugh McKay" <hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net (hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net)>

it does to Rotax!

Senior Consultant
4090 North NC Hwy. 16
Denver, NC 28037

Ph. [url=tel:704-661-8271]704-661-8271[/url]
Fax [url=tel:704-483-5466]704-483-5466[/url]
email hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net (hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net)
--

kgderosier(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: New Aero Shell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

Great question! anyone with authority like to comment on that? On Apr 23, 2015 4:19 PM, "Dennis Tubbs" <dennistubbs7(at)gmail.com (dennistubbs7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:[quote]I wonder if this means we can now burn 100LL AvGas in our 912 engines without penalty of the previously required cleaning of the gear reduction clutch and more frequent oil changes?

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 4:47 AM, bjones <bjones(at)dmv.com (bjones(at)dmv.com)> wrote:
[quote]Talking with Shell oil engineers at Sebring LSA EXPO shortly after Shell & To tax introduced Sport Plus 4 oil for our 912s,  an ashless dispersant was added to hold lead in suspension within the oil so the suspended lead can be carried out at oil change rather than allow excess lead to accumulate as sludge in the gear case and elsewhere in the engine where it can cause damage.
BJ Kitfox IV,  Rotax 912

From: Hugh McKay <hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net (hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net)>
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com (rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: New Aero Shell Sport Plus 4

--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "Hugh McKay" <hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net (hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net)>

it does to Rotax!

Senior Consultant
4090 North NC Hwy. 16
Denver, NC 28037

Ph. [url=tel:704-661-8271]704-661-8271[/url]
Fax [url=tel:704-483-5466]704-483-5466[/url]
email hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net (hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net)
--

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Aero Shell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

100LL, lead is lead no matter what oil. If you are using 100LL then you need semi synthetic and not full synthetic. If you are using 91 oct. then either oil is okay.

For the 1500 hr. Engines or a 2000 hr. Engine using lead more than 30% of the time the gearbox gets inspected and cleaned at 600 hrs. If you fail to do this the overload clutch at about 800 hours will be leaded enough to be non functional. The 2000 hr. Engines using91 oct. has a 1000 hr. Gearbox inspection.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
Duncan McFadyean

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: New Aero Shell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

Really? Shell's website merely confirms that the packaging has been changed; the oil remains the same as previously. It's not new.

Duncan McF.

--

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: New Aero Shell Sport Plus 4 Reply with quote

Hi Duncan,
The oil is a new formulation. It isn't the same. The additive package and the base stock has been altered. Got this right from Rotax. They have been working on the new formula for the last 4 years and tried some different combinations. The reason it took so long is that you have to have time to put a bunch of hours on engines and then tear them down. The new red bottle is to help delineate from the older formula in the black bottle.
I'll be back at Rotax in three weeks and see what additional info I can get.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: