Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magnetic plug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Wilde

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Magnetic plug Reply with quote

OK. I have stripped the magnetic plug and can't get it out with the
torx. What are my options? I do have the new hex head replacement but
that doesn't help til I get the old one out. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Dan Wilde

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Magnetic plug Reply with quote

1 - BP Blast
2 - Drill it out...  Then use a EZOut...
3 - What material is it made of?
      You may want to use a SQUARE EZOut.
4 - Another trick it so use HEAT...  Heat around the plug and cool the plug, then quickly use the EZOut .
Barry

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnetic plug Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

This is easy. I have done many. Give me a call and I'll tell you two ways to do it in seconds..

Roger Lee
Tucson, AZ
520-574-1080

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Magnetic plug Reply with quote

I experienced the same problem somewhere back there since I started flying 912 engines in 1994.

If I remember correctly, I smacked it with flat faced brass drift and a 2 lb hammer, then broke it loose with a pair of Vise Grips. I too had a new mag plug to replace the one I buggered up.

Personally, I would never use an Ease It Out on anything. If you screw up and break the tip off one, you are really screwed.

Also, I don't think I would use heat on the gear box or cases, or for that matter, anything on the 912.

Worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary.

john h
MKIII
Titus, Alabama

1 - BP Blast

2 - Drill it out... Then use a EZOut...

4 - Another trick it so use HEAT... Heat around the plug and cool the plug, then quickly use the EZOut .

Barry

[quote] [b]

Titus, Alabama
asandul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Magnetic plug Reply with quote

What I have done is get a large flat punch the size of the OD of the plug and give it a shock blow and then if you don't have an internal allen head remover, I have actually used a chisel,not to sharp, and on the OD of the plug,give it a good shot in the counterclockwise direction to snap it loose and it will come out. Not an expert, but this has worked on stripped plugs in the hydraulic industry, and actually on my 912ULS, and worked fine. Good you have a new one, but I am still using the original.
Maybe wait till someone else may have a better solution, but this worked for me.
Alan

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Dec 6, 2014, at 5:55 PM, Dan Wilde <stolpilot.wilde(at)gmail.com> wrote:

OK. I have stripped the magnetic plug and can't get it out with the torx. What are my options? I do have the new hex head replacement but that doesn't help til I get the old one out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Wilde

asandul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Magnetic plug Reply with quote

The plug is magnetic so is steel but the magnetic insert in the interior is a separate piece and I would be concerned if drilling out it may become dislodged and fall inside the crankcase,which brings up another issue. The plug is not secured with Loctite so heating won't help,as the plug will expand before the case, but cooling it quickly with CO2 may help but try the chisel method because it worked for me. I just checked my plug and it has a small notch where I used the dull chisel to get it out and is still there with no issue. Mind you I didn't totally strip the Allen/Torx as I saw it wasn't coming out and used the Allen wrench to tighten it back in and the notch is there for loosening it the next check. Good you have a new one to replace the old one if you wish. Rotax so it's not cheap.
Alan

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Dec 6, 2014, at 5:55 PM, Dan Wilde <stolpilot.wilde(at)gmail.com> wrote:

OK. I have stripped the magnetic plug and can't get it out with the torx. What are my options? I do have the new hex head replacement but that doesn't help til I get the old one out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Wilde

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Magnetic plug Reply with quote

A good mechanic does not break off EZ Outs.
Heat is quite acceptable...  After all heat is generated by the gear box.  You are not brazing you are just creating a delta in the heat between the male and female threads - That is why I mentioned cool the plug... ICE works very good for that.
What is the plug made of?
What is the case made of?
I'm guessing that the case is cast?  If so - You feel it is acceptable to pound on the case with a brass drift and a 2 Lb hammer...   OUCH!  Did I hear that case CRACK!
Barry

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 6:24 PM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
[quote]
I experienced the same problem somewhere back there since I started flying 912 engines in 1994.

If I remember correctly, I smacked it with  flat faced brass drift and a 2 lb hammer, then broke it loose with a pair of Vise Grips.  I too had a new mag plug to replace the one I buggered up.

Personally, I would never use an Ease It Out on anything.  If you screw up and break the tip off one, you are really screwed.

Also, I don't think I would use heat on the gear box or cases, or for that matter, anything on the 912.

Worth what you paid for it.  Your mileage may vary.

john h
MKIII
Titus, Alabama

1 - BP Blast

2 - Drill it out...  Then use a EZOut...

4 - Another trick it so use HEAT...  Heat around the plug and cool the plug, then quickly use the EZOut .

Barry

Quote:

_blank">www.aeroelectric.com
.com" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
="_blank">www.homebuilthelp.com
="_blank">www.mypilotstore.com
ank">www.mrrace.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
ist" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
tp://forums.matronics.com

[b]

johngilpin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Magnetic plug Reply with quote

A sharp cold chisel, applied to the edge of the flange.  May be able to knock it loose just with that.  If not apply a flat face punch to the notch made by the chisel.  I've done it several times easily.

JG

[quote][b]

Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Magnetic plug Reply with quote

Smacking it with a brass drift and a hammer is the method that was taught to me in Rotax school. It works well and pops it loose so you can turn it with an allen.I have done it many times that way.
    Dick Maddux
    912UL
[quote][b]

michaelrorth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Magnetic plug Reply with quote

Maybe you could use a Dremel-like tool to cut a groove in the plug.
Then use a large screwdriver in the groove and Vise Grips to get the plug moving.
Michael

---

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Magnetic plug Reply with quote

It can come out two ways. One way is to use a small set of vise grip pliers and there is enough shoulder to grab it. You can use a small butane torch and heat the case around it. Try to direct the heat on the case and not the plug. Then have someone use a metal rod on it and rap it with a hammer as you apply force with the vise grips. Comes right out.
The other way is to use a Dremel tool with a cut off blade. Put a straght grove in the plug and use a large tip screwdriver to turn with a wrench attached to the screwdriver shaft for additional leverage and it will come right out. Again heat the case and rap it with a hammer and metal rod. Do not cut so deep in the screw plug with the Dremel to damage the case sealing edge.

Both of these ways work and are easy to do.

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
stabelvej9(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Magnetic plug Reply with quote

Go to Rotax site, and follow the instructions in the learning video for exactly this subject - there is a procedure for what you do when a hex is stripped - what tool to use, and what spares to get.
“Magnetic plug removal”, SB 914-034
Regards

Gert Dalgaard
Europa Mono / 914 / 1000 hrs.
OY-GDS

[quote]Den 07/12/2014 kl. 20.19 skrev Michael Orth <mosurf(at)xplornet.com (mosurf(at)xplornet.com)>:
Maybe you could use a Dremel-like tool to cut a groove in the plug.
Then use a large screwdriver in the groove and Vise Grips to get the plug moving.
Michael

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: