Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

582 Water pump housing ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akfotoman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: 582 Water pump housing ? Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with a leaking gasket under the water pump housing on a Model 99 DCDI 582 (Blue head) ?

I have a leaking gasket that was replaced with a new one, (the old one started leaking after I switched to DexCool from Prestone) and is torque to specs 70 ip and it is still leaking. Nothing anywhere said to use gasket sealer or any silicon so the gasket was replaced without any.

The leak is under the front lower bolt and the rear lower bolt (the engine is sitting with the head upright) and is leaking only in drops-at-a-time. The water temp is also high (and always has been) around 180-185F.

Should I use a gasket or silicon material on the gasket and replace it? Any other ideas or experiences.

Baffled in Anchorage!
Rob Stapleton

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

Malcolmbru(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: 582 Water pump housing ? Reply with quote

Rob there was a posting a little while ago on the same topic was that you?
first 180 on the temp is at the higher end.   properly cleaned gasket surface is a must. then is the pump housing warped? set it on a piece of glass and some very fine wet sand paper and smoothie it off in a figure 8 motion checking for warpage if you find any markes on eather surfice from a raser blade or anything used to clean the old gasket off you could try a lock tight product to fill the gap and seal the gaskit .but do not try to sand or grind out any gouges on the housing or motor block good luck mal michigan kit foxer
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dave(at)cfisher.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: 582 Water pump housing ? Reply with quote

Hi Guys ,

A few things -- what is leaking antifreeze or oil ? On the 582 one of those lower bolt holes goes into crankcase and I fixed mine by using blue loctite on threads after cleaning hole with thinnners.

And Temps for 582 I have found that mine runs 175 to 185 all the time and have no issues as per my gauge. I have a 7 pound rad cap and never had an issue except bugs in rad blocking some airflow. I have been told by Rotax experts that 180 to 200 is the caution zone but not the end of the world like some think.

Hope this helps.

Dave
[quote] ---

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: 582 Water pump housing ? Reply with quote

At 04:22 PM 9/16/2006, you wrote:
Quote:
Should I use a gasket or silicon material on the gasket and replace it?
Any other ideas or experiences.

In the interests of science I fired up my HomebuiltHELP 582 tear down DVD
to see what I could learn about the water pump housing. Now unfortunately
this DVD only covers tear-down and inspection, and not re-assembly. (Of
COURSE it does, otherwise we wouldn't need to pay good money to have
someone do it for us!) Anyway, it was clear during disassembly that there
was no sealant on the water pump gasket. The Rotax manual does call for
something called Loctite 221 on the threads. I remember a thread on the
Kitfox list where the latter was deemed to be very important, else water
can leak past the bolts into the crankcase, thereby leaning the mixture and
raising EGT's.

You will have to beg borrow or steal a straight edge, (and I mean a REAL
straight edge,) and check your mating surfaces. If uneven you will have to
true them. One trick, if you are fastidious enough, is to put valve lapping
compound between the mating surfaces, (with no gasket,) and gently rub them
together. You MUST, however, get all the compound out of the wetted area
lest you get it into the coolant, with the resulting deleterious effect on
your water pump seals.
Guy Buchanan
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 100% done, thanks mostly to Bob Ducar.

ami(at)MCFADYEAN.FREESERV

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: 582 Water pump housing ? Reply with quote

On the earlier 582s, some of the water pump bolts holes penetrated through to the water housing, so the gasket would be in effective in sealing leakage around the bolt.
It would be worth checking whether your water pump bolt holes bottom -out in the casting or go through in to the water gallery.

Duncan McF.
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: