Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M14PEngines-List: Radial engine: more pro than con?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam(at)foundationcap.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: M14PEngines-List: Radial engine: more pro than con? Reply with quote

Hi Chris:

I don't have a Murphy Moose (although I am a great fan of the design). I do have an M14 powered Pitts Model 12. I have nothing but good things to say about the engine. It starts easily hot or cold, puts out a ton of power, and is easy to maintain. On the downside, it is a radial, so it does both consume and drip more oil than a typical flat-opposed aircraft engine.

You can avoid most of the unpleasant aspects common to all radial engines with a combination of a few parts, and a few diligent procedures. I'd heartily recommend all of the parts that Jim Kimball Enterprises sells for the M14. They have a fitting kit that converts all the Russian fittings to standard AN hardware. They make an intake drain kit, an oil shut-off, and a sump pump. By installing these three items, you will mitigate most of the oil dripping, hydraulic lock problems. They have recently come out with their own exhaust which is significantly lighter and easier to install than the Russian exhausts.

On the operations side I do the following before each flight: open the intake drain. Pull the propeller through 18 blades to clear the lower cylinders. Close the intake drain, and go fly. Upon return, shut off the oil, run the sump pump until the oil is cleared, and re-open the intake drain. Never had anything remotely problematic.

Lastly, I love the pneumatic start. I know a bunch of the Moose folks have opted for the electric starter option, but I've had great luck with the air system.

Good luck

Adam

From: owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of Chris In Madison
Sent: Mon 8/14/2006 11:29 AM
To: m14pengines-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: M14PEngines-List: Radial engine: more pro than con?

Hello all,

I'm curious about the radial engine as a powerplant for the Murphy Moose and wondered how those flying The M14P feel about it. I've been perusing a number of sites dedicated to the Moose, spending a lot of time going through GoFLyAMoose.com and one or two others. On one of the sites, there was a rather detailed article going over the engine in general, and it made it out to be (or at least I read it that way) that the engine is a potential maintenance hassle. Oil seeping into the combustion chambers, broken/bent connecting rods, hydraulic lock, etc. The overall air of the article didn't seem positive to me. Are there any articles anyone can reference that discuss positive aspects of this engine? I'd love to see someone say something nice about it Smile

Regardless, Murphy makes a pretty strong point that this engine has more power for half the price of a comparable Lyc or Continental. So with that in mind, do you feel that the radial is a reasonable fit for this plane, dollar for dollar? Can your average A/P maintain one of these engines, or would I need to seek out special service? Is the availabity of service parts good?

I appreciate your insight.

Thanks and best regards,
Chris

--------
Chris Owens
Waunakee, WI

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=54719#54719

====================================

- The Matronics M14PEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?M14PEngines-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: