Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WARNING NSI Subaru EA81 accessory failure causing smoke in c

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belinda(at)gloverb.freese

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: WARNING NSI Subaru EA81 accessory failure causing smoke in c Reply with quote

Hello,

I have just experienced an alternator bearing seize in a British Europa0 with the NSI engine although at the time I had no idea of the cause. The aircraft was damaged in the forced landing over small fields and that was a0 reasonable outcome under the trying circumstances.

The cockpit filled with smoke and the engine stopped. The dual v-belts0 are strong enough to create a lot of smoke and stop the crankshaft drive pulley0 creating enough heat to change the black anodisation to a reddish colour. The0 belts vulcanised and stripped and stuck to the crankshaft pulley.

In the standard Dual belt NSI installation, if either the water pump (also0 driven off the v-belts) or alternator seizes you have a single point failure0 mode which, possibly due to the sprag clutch gearbox allowing the prop to0 freewheel, does not provide enough flywheel effect to break both belts. As a0 glider the freewheeling prop has much increased drag over engine at idle during0 practice forced landings which means that the practice is incomparable to the0 real event.

This is the second time this alternator seizure and forced landing with0 smoke in the cockpit has happened to an NSI EA81 to my knowledge. The other was0 also a U.K. Europa NSI combination which was never properly investigated at the0 time.

After much searching I cannot find any other example of this engine failure0 anywhere including in the U.S.

If anyone knows of such a failure please let me know as soon as0 possible.

Regards
Gary McKirdy

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: