Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rotax 914 Turbo Warning Lights
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Rotax 914 Turbo Warning Lights Reply with quote

Folks:

I believe the 912 series engines are primarily oil cooled, with some water and air cooling to help.  The engine can be flown at reduced power for some time after a complete loss of coolant without seizing.

Before I sacrificed myself and my airplane, I'd fly to a safe landing area to fix the problem.

john h
MKIII
Near - Burns Junction, Oregon

From: owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Richard Collings
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2014 6:18 AM
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Rotax 914 Turbo Warning Lights

Hi everyone.

I think the experienced pilots amongst our community need to stop this right now and I don’t class myself in that group. Imagine the situation, say on take off, your busy in the cockpit to say the least and you see the engine temp rise into the red,

what do you do, you can’t shut down, you must expedite a safe landing asap. If you have time before the engine seizes try to do an abbreviated circuit and radio your intention with a Pan call and pray you can get back down in one piece. I am sure other pilots will offer differing scenarios. The point is if on top of the considerable work load the pilot has, he now has to somehow manage boiling water and steam in the cabin, he isn’t going to do it.

Sorry for being blunt.

Richard

only 700ish hrs 75 on type

Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2014 2:40 PM

To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com (rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com)

Subject: Re: Re: Rotax 914 Turbo Warning Lights

Thats the whole point right Smile
On May 31, 2014, at 1:46 AM, Brian Davies <brian.davies(at)clara.co.uk (brian.davies(at)clara.co.uk)> wrote:

<![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]><![endif]>
--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "Brian Davies" <brian.davies(at)clara.co.uk (brian.davies(at)clara.co.uk)>

When the fluid boils the cockpit could be filled with steam. That would
certainly get your attention!

Regards

Brian Davies

--

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

Titus, Alabama
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rotax 914 Turbo Warning Lights Reply with quote

Your 912 was designed to run at least 30 min. without coolant. Coolant only cools the heads and not the rest of the engine like a car. You can help control temps after total coolant loss by flying at reduced throttle settings. If temps exceed the maximum on the heads the you should have the heads tested for hardness.

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: