Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zenith 601/701 engine mount compatibility?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heisan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Zenith 601/701 engine mount compatibility? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I need to try a new engine on my HDS. Does anybody know which of the zenith engine mounts/firewalls are compatible with the HDS?

Thanks,
Justin

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
larrycmcfarland(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Zenith 601/701 engine mount compatibility? Reply with quote

HI Justin,
The answer you probably need is what engine would serve your HDS best.
There are several, but the question then becomes cost
and reliability. I flew behind a Stratus Subaru and found the Subaru to be
a great engine for maintaining, cost of parts and reliability. Today,
I'd recommend the Ram Performance Subaru (EA81) because it's a gear driven
re-drive that has proven itself. There are lots of engines that
fit the HDS beautifully, but one has to be concerned about the weight. My
Subaru was at a maximum I'd be comfortable with. Some have
hung a Corvair which is without re-drive and it sounds superb, but I'd want
to check its weight. A Rotax is expensive, period. 0-200s are
heavier than I'd be comfortable with. Much more to consider when choosing
an engine, but the engine mount is a construct in most cases
that depends upon you or your access to talents that involve welding and
measuring up for cowl, mufflers and prop positions, which differ
from direct drive (non-re-drive) and re-drive engines, belted or geared.
There is generally a 7 inch displacement between crank, i.e. mount
points for re-drive and none for direct drive. Zenith will point you toward
the Rotax and the $22K for an engine and sell you a mount for it
too if you ask for $600 or so. There are much less costly ways to go if you
consider the engine first.
If you need more info, just ask. I'm not an engine guy, but I'm willing to
help.

Larry McFarland

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

JohnDRead(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Zenith 601/701 engine mount compatibility? Reply with quote

Hello all,
 I have a brand new dynoed only NSI - Suburu mounted on a HDS engine mount. Any offers?

Regards, John Read

CH701 - Colorado - Jabiru 3300

Cell: 719-494-4567
Home: 303-648-3261
In a message dated 2/14/2014 12:19:42 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, justin(at)expertron.co.za writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith601-List message posted by: "heisan" <justin(at)expertron.co.za>

Hi all,

I need to try a new engine on my HDS. Does anybody know which of the zenith engine mounts/firewalls are compatible with the HDS?

Thanks,
Justin

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=418707#418707

[quote][b]

heisan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 601/701 engine mount compatibility? Reply with quote

Oops - sorry guys - I was not clear.

I have a few engine options available, but I am tired of building, so I am trying to find ready built engine mounts and cowls.

I understand that a lot of the firewalls/engine mount points are common across a number of Zenith aircraft, and I would like to know which models have the same firewall configuration as the 601HDS.

I know the 601, 601HD and 601HDS are all the same. I think that the original 601XL is the same. What about the 701s and 650s?

Thanks,
Justin

PS As a matter of interest, the current engine is an Aerovee. Would probably be great at the coast, but my airfield is at 5000', and summer temperatures at the moment mean that average density altitude for take-off is between 7000' and 8000'. Climbs at 440fpm with just me on board, but this goes down very quickly as i load up sandbags. Won't be able to safely take a passenger at this altitude. 22" cruise is 85KIAS (94KTAS), and about 105KTAS at full taps.

LNelson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 601/701 engine mount compatibility? Reply with quote

I have been in an XL powered by a 3000cc corvair and it performed awesome. If you have the money ww (flycorvair.com) will build the engine for you, and all the firewall forward cowling and baffles are also available from him for the HDS. His price for the 2700 assembled by him is 7500, and toy will need an additional 1400 for cowling,and 600 for motor mount.

gpjann1(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Zenith 601/701 engine mount compatibility? Reply with quote

What is WW's prive for the new 3000cc Corvair

To: zenith601-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:06:29 PM
Subject: Re: Zenith 601/701 engine mount compatibility?

--> Zenith601-List message posted by: "LNelson" <lk.nelson(at)juno.com>

I have been in an XL powered by a 3000cc corvair and it performed awesome. If you have the money ww (flycorvair.com) will build the engine for you, and all the firewall forward cowling and baffles are also available from him for the HDS. His price for the 2700 assembled by him is 7500, and toy will need an additional 1400 for cowling,and 600 for motor mount.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=419101#419101

; &nb===================

[quote][b]

LNelson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 601/701 engine mount compatibility? Reply with quote

I believe his 3000 cc engine is 11k. I am planning on building a 2700cc for my HDS. Talking to ww the 2700cc engine should produce 100hp and burn 4 to 5 per hour at 100kts on the HDS airframe. Also that engine runs 7k from him. Check his website out flycorvair.com.

heisan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 601/701 engine mount compatibility? Reply with quote

Well, looking at the Corvair pages at least answered some questions:

Quote:
Above, the first Corvair/Zenith mount on our own 601 XL in 2003. In the decade since, we have made more than 250 of them for 601 and 650 builders. The design fits all models of the 601 series, and the 650, both tricycle and tailwheel aircraft.

So it looks like all the 601 and 650 series mounts are the same. I have also heard of the 650 and 750 mounts being the same. If that is the case, there should be a wide range of possible options.

Aside from that, Corvair isn't really an option. Importing a complete engine is pretty pricey, and since it was never sold in South Africa, spares and such are very expensive here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: