Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vocations, avocations, and (NOT) CUTTING THREADS IN BOLTS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undoctor(at)rcn.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Vocations, avocations, and (NOT) CUTTING THREADS IN BOLTS Reply with quote

I enjoyed reading the thread about vocations and avocations (other than flying Kolbs). It adds personality to otherwise plain script and makes the list more human, so I'd like to contribute info about me. I also feel compelled to comment on the recent thread about cutting more threads on aircraft bolts.

I've driven 18-wheelers since about 1965 mostly throughout the eastern 24 states. I have considerable experience hauling overdimension and overweight loads and have always enjoyed the added challenges that come with the turf. The company I drove for for 30 years folded so I took an early retirement and now work one day a week for a regional carrier just because I enjoy it.

I ride motorcycle for most of my transportation needs and have almost 77K on my 2001 Honda ST1100. I've ridden in all the lower 48 except MO (seem to miss it all the time), through Canada from Manitoba out to the west coast of Vancouver Island (Long Beach, which is LOOOOOONG) and up to the Yukon Terr. By far my best trip was on my BMW K100LT from Lansdale, PA to the Haul Rd.through the Atigun Pass in the Brooks Mt. Range in AK, logging 11,014 miles in about 20 days. I had a dog named Toots who rode with me for 15 years and had over 75,000 miles on my scoots when she died. She was on TV and many newspapers and mags and rode from Cocoa Beach, FL to Lansdale, PA in one day; 8:30 AM to 3:30AM. Still miss her!!!

A BELATED WORD ABOUT CUTTING THREADS IN BOLTS

I feel guilty for not posting this earlier in case someone who reads it may save themselves some trouble. In 1990 I bought an underconstructed Chicken Hewk, built by Pacific Aviation in Bellingham, WA. One Sunday, a week after I soloed, an August thunderstorm was moving in so at 1,200' AGL I turned to land. As soon as I completed my turn I encountered a severe downdraft (a fellow flying nearby said I dropped about 30') and when I hit the bottom I felt something pop and found there was no back pressure on the stick. When I got out of the hospital and trailered the wreckage home I discovered that both the Teleflex push-pull cables which were used for the ailerons had broken where they had adjustment nuts at the stick.

I called Teleflex and since my house was only a couple of miles from the factory an engineer asked to come and look at it. He told me that the cables are definately not made for aircraft, only the throttle and clutch of a boat. He showed me how they both fractured through the thread roots which are cut into the adjustment rod at the end. He said the thread root of a cut thread is a weak point like the chip on the edge of a piece of glass and that aircraft threads are rolled in, which compresses the material and provides a rounded thread root. He also showed me that the cross section of the one cable end was polished half way through and told me that the plane had been flown with the adjustment rod fractured half way through for a while before my catastrophe.

I hope this has been helpful. I'd also like to read more about other's sidelines and interests.

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA
Ultrastar

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: