Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peak current handling of S604 gold "DB" style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfpublic(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Peak current handling of S604 gold "DB" style Reply with quote

Bob,

Another question that comes to mind is your choice of connectors is
this is going to mount on the firewall.

Actually, having read your helpful material on firewall integrity, I plan to run the plug end of the wiring harness through a hole in the firewall suitably protected against fire and run the plug to a bulkhead style receptacle on the bottom of the instrument panel. This eliminates one set of connectors on the firewall itself, and moves the connector to the protected confines of the cabin.

Finally, there ARE ways to practically parallel pins in small
connectors for improvements in current carrying capability.

I considered the parallel D sub approach-again learned on this list-for the field breaker, but the peak and unknown current draw made this approach less practical. There are CPC connectors with big silver plated contacts rated for large amps that make more sense than paralleling 20 D subs in a 28 pin housing. The large wire 3 conductor unit is about the same size as the 28 conductor D sub pin unit.

A builder sent me this picture some years ago:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Wiring_Technique/term_strip_not.jpg

. . . very neatly installed, all wires labeled, high degree of
craftsmanship. When I asked him how much this installation saved him
in cost of ownership ($time$ to procure, install and maintain). He
didn't have a very convincing answer.

I may not have a very convincing answer either. We all build guided by our personalities, and I don't want my plane to look like a factory wired Cessna rats nest that I read about on this list. Perhaps I'm being compulsive.

I have a lot more than 10 wires coming from the engine compartment. There are 6 channels of CHT, 2 channels of EGT, solenoid control for the carb heat, two current shunts from the two alternators, the isolated dual + and - 15 volt supply to the thermocouple amplifier board--I'm not sure that my 28 pin connector will be enough, and I may need a second smaller connector.

One more reason for this approach: my building partner has the plane and it is a 40 minute drive to get to this plane. I can wire the electrical for the engine compartment at home, because all of the components are in a 3x12x12 inch box with a harness coming out of it. The panel can also be taken to my home for wiring away from the plane. Whether this will be a good solution, only time will tell.

I really appreciate your help over the years, and have learned a lot from this list and especially you.

Jim Foerster, J400, wiring

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: