Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homebuilt/Experimental Convention Only!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esmith6(at)satx.rr.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Homebuilt/Experimental Convention Only! Reply with quote

Hey gang.........I sent this to ehotline(at)eaa.org (ehotline(at)eaa.org) I need some opinions on this from you homebuilders...I hope I don't start a fire-storm...Please be civil and nice in your reply's, as Hollywood says, "please don't shoot the messenger." ..........CHEERS!!!!

There are many, many of us out here that would like to see another convention for experimentals, homebuilts and kitplanes, ONLY!

NO WARBIRDS, NO COMMERCIAL JETS OR ALL THE ASSOCIATED STUFF THAT RIDES WITH THE WADS OF CASH THAT FLOWS WITH ALL THAT CONGLOMERATION WE HAVE TO PUT-UP WITH!

THE CONVENTION AS IT IS NOW, IS ALMOST OUT OF CONTROL AND SO LARGE THAT PEOPLE FLYING IN HAVE TO FIND ANOTHER PLACE TO LAND.

We want our convention back to where it was before the economics took over and has diluted us to where we can hardly find a parking place, and are pushed into the background by the "big guys" with the bankrolls and political connections.

Can't we please have another convention for us "little guys?" I guarantee you will get many responsive eager folks rising to the occasion.

I'm a builder, and everywhere I go, I hear pilots/builders voicing complaints about this situation.

Thanks for your time...Please investigate this complaint for a solution.

Gene Smith

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Speedy11(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Homebuilt/Experimental Convention Only! Reply with quote

Gene,
I agree with you 100%!!!
Stan Sutterfield
Tampa
Quote:
Hey gang.........I sent this to ehotline(at)eaa.org I need some
opinions on this from you homebuilders...I hope I don't start a
fire-storm...Please be civil and nice in your reply's, as Hollywood
says, "please don't shoot the messenger."  ...........CHEERS!!!!

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

johnee(at)ldd.net

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Homebuilt/Experimental Convention Only! Reply with quote

Great idea....

John
[quote] ---

john(at)hallaviation.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Homebuilt/Experimental Convention Only! Reply with quote

I think many of us are involved in other facets of aviation. I personally enjoy the opportunity to see "everything aviation" at a single event, as I don't have the time or budget to attend numerous "product specific" venues. The crowds are certainly a hassle, but they handle them well.

John Hall
San Antonio TX
RV-8 N550PJ
[quote]---

Chuck Chappell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Homebuilt/Experimental Convention Only! Reply with quote

Well said John,

Also don’t forget if the cost of producing the event didn’t get spread amongst the many vendors then those vendors that you want to see and talk to might not be able to afford the cost of being there. I personally don’t have much more than a passing interest in war birds and the varied certified airplanes that attend, but a lot of the ticket buyers come just to see those and again that spreads the cost of the event to make it affordable for everyone.

Chuck Chappell

From: owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John Hall
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 7:01 AM
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Homebuilt/Experimental Convention Only!

I think many of us are involved in other facets of aviation. I personally enjoy the opportunity to see "everything aviation" at a single event, as I don't have the time or budget to attend numerous "product specific" venues. The crowds are certainly a hassle, but they handle them well.

John Hall
San Antonio TX
RV-8 N550PJ
Quote:

----- Original Message -----
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Homebuilt/Experimental Convention Only!
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 09:23:14 EDT
Gene,

I agree with you 100%!!!

Stan Sutterfield

Tampa
Quote:

Hey gang.........I sent this to ehotline(at)eaa.org I need some
opinions on this from you homebuilders...I hope I don't start a
fire-storm...Please be civil and nice in your reply's, as Hollywood
says, "please don't shoot the messenger." ..........CHEERS!!!! ://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-Listnics.com.com.matronics.com/contribution

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
nics.com
[quote][b]

sales(at)6440autoparts.co

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Homebuilt/Experimental Convention Only! Reply with quote

Airventure 2006 was the first time I had ever been to Osh Kosh. And honestly if there we're only experimental aircraft there I believe I would have been bored with it. Even though I am building one. If it was only experimental they would probably want to call it something like "the ultimate RV fly-in" for obvious reason's )). As it was I spent an entire week and still did'nt see and do all I wanted to.
I believe you are correct about the big dollar boy's hoisting most of the bill. I even visited the Ford automobile tent for a bit and enjoyed it even though it had nothing to do with aviation. I also enjoyed looking at all the certified aircraft venders and getting some ideas for my experimental from them. Heck even some of the dog and pony show's in the big hangers we're interesting and I'm sure the rent they paid helped to keep the cost down for us adventurer's. I spent a lot of time taking classes and listening to lecture's on expimental aviation related interests in the Poly Fiber forum's. To me that was worth the cost of admission and the rest was just icing on the cake.
  All & all even though Osh is'nt exactly experimental aircraft only it is very informative and enteratining. The only thing I would really want to see changed about it is more transportaion getting around on site. Wow my feet, legs, back are still killing me. All that excercise is hard on old fat men like me ))))). Maybe what is needed is to start another experimental ONLY type of a deal somewhere in a middle US state later in the year when the weather cools down. Say maybe Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Nebraska etc. to be more centrally loctated.

Randy

[quote] ---

ninetyninewest(at)yahoo.c

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Homebuilt/Experimental Convention Only! Reply with quote

Hey Randy,
This comment may not be to well reseived, but here goes anyway.

I agree with the comment about the big underwriters. A major sell out that Tom in my estimation is responsible for. I do not believe that it would have occured under Paul's leadership.

On the issue of ground transport I take the opposite point of view. Having attended for past quarter of a century it was much saner when everyone walked and no one rode. All and I mean all vendors, and exhibitors parked off the grounds.

Biased? Yes, but I remember it when.....You enjoy it more and cold beer at the end of day tastes better when you know that you have been to the greatest aviation event in the world bar none. I have flown aircraft to Fairnsbourogh and the Paris airshows thanks to the DoD.

RV-8 builders are the friendliest and most anxious to assist people about.

Randy you are on a good track by suggesting an experimental gathering. You know we really do need as much assistance and opportunity to meet as possible.

Respectfully,
Duane Leach

6440 Auto Parts <sales(at)6440autoparts.com> wrote:
[quote] v\:* { BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML) } o\:* { BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML) } w\:* { BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML) } .shape { BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML) } <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } Airventure 2006 was the first time I had ever been to Osh Kosh. And honestly if there we're only experimental aircraft there I believe I would have been bored with it. Even though I am building one. If it was only experimental they would probably want to call it something like "the ultimate RV fly-in" for obvious reason's )). As it was I spent an entire week and still did'nt see and do all I wanted to.
I believe you are correct about the big dollar boy's hoisting most of the bill. I even visited the Ford automobile tent for a bit and enjoyed it even though it had nothing to do with aviation. I also enjoyed looking at all the certified aircraft venders and getting some ideas for my experimental from them. Heck even some of the dog and pony show's in the big hangers we're interesting and I'm sure the rent they paid helped to keep the cost down for us adventurer's. I spent a lot of time taking classes and listening to lecture's on expimental aviation related interests in the Poly Fiber forum's. To me that was worth the cost of admission and the rest was just icing on the cake.
All & all even though Osh is'nt exactly experimental aircraft only it is very informative and enteratining. The only thing I would really want to see changed about it is more transportaion getting around on site. Wow my feet, legs, back are still killing me. All that excercise is hard on old fat men like me ))))). Maybe what is needed is to start another experimental ONLY type of a deal somewhere in a middle US state later in the year when the weather cools down. Say maybe Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Nebraska etc. to be more centrally loctated.

Randy

[quote] ---

aerobubba(at)earthlink.ne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Homebuilt/Experimental Convention Only! Reply with quote

Hi All-
Well. It's going to be tough for me to keep this terse.
A couple of observations:
I agree with the sentiments expressed by all so far. The big problem is keeping them all in balance, and within an economically viable structure.
I think a successful homebuilt convention could well be the beginning (continuing?) of the end of OSH, or at least it's diminishing by an order of magnitude. I wouldn't like that. Rather, I would like to see a re-emphasis of aviation and aviators at OSH, and a de-emphasis on making money.
We are reasonably financially successful and happy individuals in large part because we live within our means, whatever those means might be. EAA needs to be reacquainted with that concept, and needs to stop the money grubbing and pandering to the likes of Ford. Geez, what's the min alt over an open air assembly of people? How high was the Ford over the square / Beach boys? Just what will they do for cash? And what the hell was up with the Beach Boys anyway? Are they having such a hard time getting AeroShell Square displays these days that they have to prop it up with that kind of dog and pony show? But I digress. I warned you this was going to be hard for me-
Paul would be a tough act for anyone to follow, and I surely couldn't do the job. But I think Tom is destroying our organization. Yeah, there were mitigators this year, but the exhibit bldgs weren't full, the flight line was looking relatively sparse, the crowds were thinner than I recall seeing for a long time, and the gate was just about as low as I can remember for many years. This is not an isolated situation, either.
Also, there are an awful lot of dedicated, passionate volunteers that make our convention happen. Without them, there would be no convention. As these people cease participating with the passage of time, and with Paul's charismatic leadership replaced with a cash centered style, I'm afraid that volunteer pool will dry up.
My last observation comes from many years of daily association with a whole lot of pilots. As a group, we will congregate and grouse ad infinitum. However, very few people will actually get off their butts and DO something about their pet peeves. If this proposed new convention starts coming together, the brain trust up north might just get the picture and get realigned with their constituency. By the same token, if all the folks who are dissatisfied with our current direction would forward those thoughts to tomp(at)eaa.org, perhaps we could achieve our goals without starting a separate convention.
glen matejcek
aerobubba(at)earthlink.net (aerobubba(at)earthlink.net)

[quote][b]

N8RV(at)gte.net

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Homebuilt/Experimental Convention Only! Reply with quote

Several years ago, I voiced the same concerns in a letter to Tom Poberezny. Remembering the days when the entirety of the exhibition halls were contained in a couple of small, hot, rickety old hangar buildings that now have stuff that nobody even bothers to see anymore .. and the food choices being limited to Zaug's cold hamburgers, cheeseburgers, onion burgers and the delicious $.35 ice cream cones ... and you could wander the grounds without fear of being run over by a scooter, car, truck or gator .. I've watched it bloat over the years into the biggest, baddest airshow in the world. All in a decade or so. I received a polite thanks for my concerns.

Some of you may recall that, after handing over the reigns of AirVulture to his beloved son, Paul started the Sport Aviation Association (SAA). It was ostensibly devoted to small, homebuilt and home-designed aircraft -- even our RVs would be too sophisticated for their tastes. I've heard nothing from or about the SAA since the first year or two.

If Paul himself can't compete with the EAA, I doubt that any of us can reinvent the wheel and succeed. However -- if I EVER have a plane to fly -- I'll gladly fly to any RV or homebuilt gathering and avoid AirVulture ... and won't lose any sleep over it.

-- Don McNamara
N8RV "90% done ... 90% to go."

[quote] [b]

rv8ch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Homebuilt/Experimental Convention Only! Reply with quote

I've only been to Oshkosh once, and that was 2005. I thought it was a
great event, and I really enjoyed it.

I have also been to SNF twice, and it was much smaller, but also very
enjoyable.

I have not been to any of the regional events, like SWRFI or LOE, but
I'm sure they are more like what the original poster is looking for.

I know that Oshkosh is about more than experimental aviation, but I'm
not sure how that fact is hurting experimental aviation.

If you've been in marketing at all, then you know the 25+ year old male
is one of the most difficult markets for advertisers to reach. I think
we'd be accusing Tom P. of incompetence if he rejected all those offers
from people like Ford to pump money into the EAA.

Additionally, any event that attracts the general public and gives them
a fun introduction to our hobby seems like a good thing.

I personally feel like I have the best of both worlds - a truly awesome
huge event with everyone and their dog pitching a tent and their
products, and smaller, more "homey" regional events where we can just
talk RVs.

Mickey

--
Mickey Coggins
http://www.rv8.ch/
#82007 finishing
do not archive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: